New Florida dive flag law coming on July 1, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

start a petition of registered voters asking to amend it to allow sausages --- but also make it mandatory that the sausages are used if away from the displayed flag (boat, etc)
enough voters signing it might at least make them consider it -- since those same voters can affect whether they are re-elected next term if we so decide en masse :)

In the short time available to me, I made an emergency descent and the tail of my tank was struck by the hull, likely forcing me a little deeper. My left foot was struck by one of the props, resulting in a fracture and a relatively superficial laceration from which I was able to fully recover. A couple more seconds and I might have been able to get deep enough to have avoided being struck altogether. As it is, I consider myself very lucky to have escaped. I was back in the water in 10 days.

This was August in SE FL. When we entered the water, it was bright and sunny. Over an hour later, we surfaced in the squall with nearly zero visibility. Our boat had temporarily lost sight of us in the conditions. The fishing boat was racing into make weigh-in for a tournament that was taking place that day, the Pompano Beach Saltwater Shootout. The incident was investigated by the FWC and the captain was cited for reckless boating, excessive speed for conditions, and no lookout.

I hope this never happens to any of you

Good and safe diving, Craig

These kinds of stories frighten me far more than any other with regards to diving.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2014 at 01:27 PM ----------

Let's keep this to a discussion about Florida Dive Flag Laws, please. We don't want to debate incidents or promote retaliatory actions. I've had two discussions with two different FWC officers in the last 24 hours. The first alerted me to the new law and the second confirmed how it was passed and to say the least: I am shocked and disheartened by how it went down.

• As far as I can tell, no stake holders were asked for their opinion.
  • This was initiated by DEMA or DEMA's lobbyist to promote a single product. One that hasn't been seen by anyone that I know.
  • It does not add Safety Sausages as a legal device.
  • It does nothing to address reality as it applies to current usages.
  • There has been nothing scientific to show what's needed.
  • It does nothing to make running over a diver next to a dive flag a criminal offense.

I think we can use this thread to communicate to the Florida Legislature and FWC what we want in a Dive Flag Law. Personally, I would like to keep what they have, including the buoy, and add sausages to it. I would also like to see a caveat for deep dives where we aren't required to drag a flag when we are below 40 ft. They become snag hazards for other buoys and even boats and all we need to do is to shoot a Safety Sausage when we get shallower. After all, that's the standard practice for divers doing very deep dives and spearfishing already. It would also promote the use of Safety Sausages and the ability to shoot them from depth. Think of the drive offs that would be prevented by divers shooting a sausage when they are separated from the main flag.

What do y'all think?

I agree with everything you posted. I would certainly be interested in seeing how the dive community can rectify obvious deficits in this legislation.

has anybody given a thought to starting a PAC in regards to diving? yes this is still on topic in regards to the flag law. had been thinking that a petition might not do much -- but a PAC might have more impact with the politicians who would be amending it --- money talks (obviously since somebody got it updated for their bit) but a PAC depending on how we use it might get the flag laws amended how we want/need them -- as well as putting pressure on in regards to lionfish, etc...

• As far as I can tell, no stake holders were asked for their opinion.
  • This was initiated by DEMA or DEMA's lobbyist to promote a single product. One that hasn't been seen by anyone that I know.
  • It does not add Safety Sausages as a legal device.
  • It does nothing to address reality as it applies to current usages.
  • There has been nothing scientific to show what's needed.
  • It does nothing to make running over a diver next to a dive flag a criminal offense.

I think we can use this thread to communicate to the Florida Legislature and FWC what we want in a Dive Flag Law. Personally, I would like to keep what they have, including the buoy, and add sausages to it. I would also like to see a caveat for deep dives where we aren't required to drag a flag when we are below 40 ft. They become snag hazards for other buoys and even boats and all we need to do is to shoot a Safety Sausage when we get shallower. After all, that's the standard practice for divers doing very deep dives and spearfishing already. It would also promote the use of Safety Sausages and the ability to shoot them from depth. Think of the drive offs that would be prevented by divers shooting a sausage when they are separated from the main flag.

What do y'all think?

what did the Officers say? I am a local LEO and read the language to be that the buoy is optional if you already have a flag displayed. It would make sense that a company is trying to make a product and sell it, but needed it to be legal before they could. Specifically to the new law changes, I'm not seeing a huge deal here... Or did I miss something?

BUT, I do agree and am disappointed that changes could be made so quickly and without warning. And I would be a supporter of no flag for deep dives until safety stop depth AS LONG AS A BOAT NEARBY IS DISPLAYING A FLAG. I like the idea about safety sausages as legal, but it gets a little weird when it comes to standardization of them. They're are many varieties and colors, we'd all have to agree on one and then make sure they can't be confused with anything else. Dive flags are pretty well known already.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2014 at 01:06 PM ----------

Okay, missed this link the first time... I suggest if anyone wants answers about the new law contact the Senator Abruzzo or Representative Raschein, they wrote it and I'm sure would be happy to answer any questions.

excerpt from the keys article:

"The Senate and House bills would legalize a diver-down buoy, similar to the dive flag towed behind a diver. Raschein, R-Key Largo, argued the buoy is safer because it's 3-D and four-sided, making it more visible.

"It just gives divers an alternative to the flag," Raschein said. "It does not implement any new rules."

Raschein and Abruzzo sponsored the legislation after being approached by representatives of a Boca Raton company, Two Goumbas, which has built a prototype of the buoy. Its founder, Michael Greenfield, began working with an engineer to develop the buoy nearly two years ago because of his concerns about diver safety and boats not being able to see a dive flag.

"It's a pretty simple idea," Greenfield said. "I can't believe someone has not thought of it before."

In addition to being 3-D, the company's prototype is wrapped in reflective material, making it even more visible. It is also sturdy enough to hold the weight of a diver in an emergency situation, company officials said."

Personally, I would like to see some standardization of a legal Safety Sausage. I think something along the following...

At least six foot in length and six inches in diameter, red in color with bold white letters indicating diver,inflatable with an OPV.

I also think that it needs to be able to hold air and not be faded.

I was kind of hoping for a "Diver Stand your Ground" law, where i can legally open fire on a vessel that closes within a safe distance of divers in the water.

Had an idiot run his boat across my bow right over the bubbles of divers in the water and wanted to start a fight when i yelled at him. He quickly changed his mind when he saw the AR in my hand at low ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Make sure the barrel and receiver drains before you fire it!!!!!

4 sided, huh. That going to be hard to make in an inflatable. Had a couple of lift bags were the things were made like a bellows and each promptly split at the folds, not at the seams, after a couple years

Yeah, requiring divers on deep drift dives to tow a flag or buoy is a little ridiculous. It's a real bear for a DM when the wind and current aren't on the same page, my last time on the Lemon Drop the DM was having trouble keeping up with the group because she was dragging her flag into the wind without much help from the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter who the dive operator was, sometimes they get separated from us when picking up other divers who have already ascended and you don't want them right overhead when you are doing your safety stop. The boater who drove through a dive flag area at a high rate of speed in low visibility is 100% of the problem. I hope scubadada is suing him and the owner of the offending boat. maybe the Tournament organizers should put a note in their literature about what those flags mean.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of off topic posts and the responses to them have been removed.

"Raschein and Abruzzo sponsored the legislation after being approached by representatives of a Boca Raton company, Two Goumbas," sounds like something out of a Carl Hiassen novel

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom