New Gear Instructions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I was surprised that the new BC and the new regs I bought didn't come with any assembly (BC) or maintenance and care instructions. When I contacted each manufacturer, they were both very accessible, but I was told to watch YouTube videos which would explain everything. Huh? Is that the norm in the dive gear world now? Since the BC is a BP/W, maybe they assume buyers are experienced divers. Dunno. But even after watching the vids, I still had questions.

Reach out here and ask any questions... someone will be able to help inevitably!
And it's not just Scuba... Many products in general have gone to web based videos or downloads for manuals. Combine that with most mainstream manufacturers discouraging DIY service, and it's no surprise most new gear has next to no useful documentation when it comes in.

Respectfully,

James

I'd be happy to guide you over a video call. Just message me.

Since the BC is a BP/W, maybe they assume buyers are experienced divers.
My hunch is that 10 or more years ago the BP/W really took off in popularity among recreational divers, and a lot of how-to videos, directed at BP/W novices, were made at that time. Not all of those videos are good, and part of the problem people who buy BP/Ws now have is sifting through the good and the bad videos to find one that addresses your specific question(s). Fortunately, as others have said, there are always SB members who will be happy to answer your questions.

I was surprised that the new BC and the new regs I bought didn't come with any assembly (BC) or maintenance and care instructions. When I contacted each manufacturer, they were both very accessible, but I was told to watch YouTube videos which would explain everything. Huh? Is that the norm in the dive gear world now? Since the BC is a BP/W, maybe they assume buyers are experienced divers. Dunno. But even after watching the vids, I still had questions.
I sold a lot of BPW's over the years and I would say that 80% of the time, I set them up. But I always asked the buyer if that's what they wanted. If yes then, I'd get height, waist, and chest measurements from them.
I never assumed they knew what they were doing and just wanted the components.
Never an extra charge for putting it together.
Regs always got assembled and bench tested unless the buyer specified they wanted to do it themselves. Even then, I never sent a reg out without throwing it on the bench and checking to make sure everything was within specs.
Were you given the option of assembly? It literally took me 15-20 minutes to set up and adjust a BPW so that when the user got it, all they had to do was fine tune it. Once you assemble and adjust the first 10, the next 90 or so went even quicker.
To be fair, there's not much maintenance on a BPW. Rinse, dry, hang. Empty any water in the bladder and rinse like you should have been taught in your OW class and that's about it.
Regs, a little more maintenance but not rocket science. Ideally, rinse with fresh running water while pressurized on a cylinder. If no cylinder, dust cap on and rinse the 1st off.
Seconds - soak in warm water, swish around, drain and rinse with fresh running water. Hang to dry.
STAY AWAY from dunk tanks. Especially in salt water locations.
There's also a trend to stay away from printed (tree killing) instructions. And some mfg's don't want you assembling anything. They want you to take it to your LDS because threading a plate or using a wrench will kill you.

I was surprised that the new BC and the new regs I bought didn't come with any assembly (BC) or maintenance and care instructions.
Over the years, manuals have not only become far more simplified, but also next to useless -- if they deign to include them at all; and you should feel somewhat lucky if there are even instructions on the attachment of an LP hose.

Some of my older gear had instructions on end-user adjustment / alteration of regulators; the swapping out of bodies for use with full face masks; the installation of antifreeze components; and a breakdown of individual parts for replacements and even their function.

When we recently gave our niece a regulator set, we also provided her with the actual service manual, for her to read.

She immediately chucked the absolutely useless consumer CD-ROM . . .

When I contacted each manufacturer, they were both very accessible, but I was told to watch YouTube videos which would explain everything. Huh? Is that the norm in the dive gear world now?
No paper manual is the way much of the world is going these days. In a way, it makes sense. When manufacturers make updates to the manual, if it’s just online, it’s a lot easier when you revise the manual.

I work for a large manufacturer. When I started, I was working with networking equipment, and remember having to switch out documentation from the kits on many occasions. I now work in the medical device sector, and many of the devices now come with an eIFU (Instructions for Use) as opposed to paper IFUs. It’s essentially a card that points to a website.

Be afwaid. Be vewy, vewy afwaid.

🤣
I'm offended. :p

1675379882669.png

Thanks for your comments. You know, I suspect paper manuals are a thing of the past. I just figured there would an electronic version on the respective websites.

My questions about the BP/W were mainly how to thread the waist and cam band buckles. I also wanted some clarity on how to manage the tails of the waist belt webbing and what would be a good starting location of the weight pockets. I think I have those sorted out. So after a dive, I rinse off the rig with fresh water and flush./drain the bladder?

The regs were already assembled. I only had to attach the LPI hose. I probably won't have access to pressure after most dives, so I rinse off the 1st stage (with dry dust cap installed) and then soak the 2nd's in warm water and the rinse? Do I need to keep them at a lower level than the 1st stage?

Back
Top Bottom