New Gear Instructions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really appreciate all the great stuff. I'm overwhelmed with everyone of you and your willingness to reach out. As I read more about the mechanics behind the 2nd stage, I marvel at its similarities to a diaphragm carburetor found on small 2-cycle engines.

It’s fresh water. There’s no reason to rinse at all unless regs got something in them. I dive fresh water exclusively and rarely rinse.

I really think this is not a good idea. Stuff CAN get in second stage, sand, dirt and spit and other nasties without being obvious. Really makes sense to run some potable water in the mouth piece and out the exhaust, at a minimum. When done, it is good to do a vacuum test, to ensure you didn't fold over the exhaust valve or whatever.

Also, I have never tried to clean the inside of a BC with any cleaning solution, but I would rather not incubate (even lake water) inside my BC bladder for long periods of time. So after a dive, I blow up, drain all the water let in during the dive and when home, add some more potable water (a quart or so) from a garden hose and then slosh around for 5 seconds and dump. At least the remaining water in the bladder WAS potable and had some chorine in it.

If in salt water, it is important to drain the BC before filling with clean rinse water or there is a potential for salt crystal formation (or hyper saline salt solution) neither of which are good.

If your fresh water is better (less minerals etc) than a quick rinse is good but the #1 consideration for all gear after the rinse is drying, make sure it’s 100% dry before putting icy away for any length of time. I don’t get crazy with sterilization worries . Store the wing inflated

Thank you Jim. What a wealth of good information! So is there a good way to inflate the bladder if I don't have my on pony bottle? I guess I could blow into the inflator hose, but then that doesn't seem sanitary. But then again, I blow into my "self-inflating" backpacking mattresses all the time.
Just inflate it orally. If you are properly weighted there shouldn't be much water in the wing anyway.
Water enters the wing when you are underweighted and are trying to dump air that doesn't exist from it. The pressure differential forces water in to take up what little air space there may be.
Diving with the proper amount of lead or even a pound or two extra will go a long way towards keeping water out because you will have just enough air in the wing to keep it out.
The only thing I have ever used on the inside of a BC is a little mouthwash. The kind that doesn't have alcohol. Just a capful and run some fresh water in with a hose. Inflate a little, slosh it around, empty it, and then hang with some air in it. Make sure to inflate a couple times and empty it.
Same thing works for neoprene boots. A little mouthwash, fill with water, let stand for 5 minutes or so, dump out and let dry in the shade on the porch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom