New Gear Instructions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So back to reg care, I assume that the post-dive rinse process isn’t as rigorous when diving in fresh water. Who can foresee the future, but I’m landlocked in Utah now, so I think most dives will be lakes or springs.
you still want to rinse off a little, but the absence of salt is a major plus of freshwater diving when it comes to equipment maintenance.

So back to reg care, I assume that the post-dive rinse process isn’t as rigorous when diving in fresh water. Who can foresee the future, but I’m landlocked in Utah now, so I think most dives will be lakes or springs.
Yes and no. You don't have to worry about the salt build-up, which is the main reason for the extensive soaking. However, you do have to be extra careful about the nasty microbe type things that live/grow in fresh water a little bit more. This is mostly a concern for things that may be living inside your BCD, but I would also give my regs good care too. Yeah, I don't need to worry about salt build up, but if I treat them like I do, I am probably also taking care of the harmful organisms that make fresh water their home. Making sure everything dries appropriately makes a huge difference in this too.

So is there a good anti-bacterial that I can use to rinse out the bladder?

Just use water, swish it around and dump, leave your wing partially inflated. The idea of breathing off your wing in an OOG emergency is in the realm of ridiculousness in my opinion.

It’s fresh water. There’s no reason to rinse at all unless regs got something in them. I dive fresh water exclusively and rarely rinse.

Just use water, swish it around and dump, leave your wing partially inflated. The idea of breathing off your wing in an OOG emergency is in the realm of ridiculousness in my opinion.
One guy in the UK breathed in from his BC. Can’t remember if it was cleaning it or not. Ended up with an absolutely nasty lung infection. Never dived again. Don’t do it.

I keep Steramine and Virkon S on hand, as sanitizers, in tablet form (now more readily available, post-covidiocy), easily mixed with water, to wash regulators; full face masks; and the interior and exterior of most any and all dive gear. Virkon S also happens to be an effective virucide.

We did sampling runs in major harbors for years and didn't even want to think what was in the water -- no one really wished to put the "hep" in hepatitis . . .

No worry about salt. Still should take care of it depending on the condition of the water you dive in. In FL, a lot of the freshwater dives are in springs, that's about the cleanest water you'll find. Further away from the springs picks up more contaminants, so a good rinse is warranted.

After any rinsing, the main thing is to allow things to fully dry. Inside of the BC bladder is most problematic. My inflator screws on to the corrugated hose, so I just unscrew it. Drain and let dry for a bit and hang up like that. Before this BC, I would unscrew the corrugated hose to allow the bladder to be able to air out.

I still run steramine through mine every once in a while. When I have to do oral inflation drills and stuff like that, prefer to not have uhh....whatever in the hell can grow in there. I certainly wouldn't say it needs to be a routine maintenance item (i mean unless you are diving in some NASTY "fresh" water site) but doing it occasionally isn't a terrible idea.

Using it as an air source absolutely not, still breathing into it (and potentially getting some nasties back) possible if improbable.

Would be interesting to know of which manufactures we’re talking about. In Europe it’s a law to include a user manual (link to website is fine).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom