New gear - spend my money !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I may have to take a trip to LeisurePro (6hrs away) and try some stuff on. I don't know how much that will help if I can not actually dive with it though.

Lake Champlain would be my primary dive site. Mid 40's in the early spring, Mid 70's height of the summer. I would think never warmer than 50 at any kind of depth.

My thought was the Henderson Hyper either 3 or 5 mm and I have a 3m shorty I can through on under it for colder days. Not sure if this will be enough or not. Then when I do get the chance to dive in warmer waters I can just use the Henderson for full critter protection. There is a Henderson dealer across the lake so I can try those on. I'm not sure if I am ready to go dry just yet.

With all the research I have done my wish list looks like this: These are not final decisions just what I chose from looking at the reviews;

Computer:
Aeris Elite AI wrist or the Uwatec Aladin Air Z I like the Cochran but that thing looks complicated.

BC:
I like the looks and concept of the Mares Air Trim system (not sure if it even works) or the Dive Rite Trans Pac II (Or equivalent)

Regulator:
Atomic Aquatics Z1 or M1, Mares Abyss or V32, Apeks ATX-200

Octupus: I thought I would like to have that set up off the BC Inflate/deflate hose but I am not sure if that is a good idea

Mask will have to be fit. I do like the low volumn and lots of visabilty. I will try out the TUSA Visulator as recommended to see if it fits.

Fins: Either the Apollo or the Atomic Aquatics Liquid Blue were my first choices - I have never used either. The LDS across the lake is a big Force Fin dealer so maybe I will try those also.

Again thanks for your time

Scott M

Scott M once bubbled...
In other words if money grow on trees what would YOUR wish list be?

O.K....so you have all the money in the world, and you want a set-up that has the ability to grow with you...here's what I would get

An Apeks DS4 1st stage, Atx 2nd stage Reg
1 Fred T finished 6# plate
1 Singles wing after they come out at DEMA (either the Halcyon or Oxycheq) with the internal bladder
Whatever wetsuit it is you are most comfortable in
The mask that best fits your face
A thick sturdy 1 piece fin (not split....splits suck IMO)
A snorkel suitable for chechkouts (20 to 40$)...once you start diving, you won't actually use the snorkel...

Lastly...computer....if you have to have one, I guess a lot of people like the stinger/mosquito thing by Sunnto or whoever. I spent 200 bucks on mine 3 years ago...it is EANx compatible...it is an ORCA pilot. It works for me....but I highly suggest learning to dive using your tables first...or at least understand what your computer is trying to tell you. There are a lot of threads on computer pros/cons, do a search on here, and you'll see what I mean.

... you say your current equipment is not suitable for diving. What mistake did you make in buying that equipment? Don't make the same mistake twice. Second ( and let the flames begin) go to SEVERAL dive shops. Each will tell you why you should buy their equipment, some of it will be bs ( thats the only line they could get), some of it will be valid points of view. Buy from a dive shop what you save in money will more than be made up in guidance if you find a good shop. It seems you need some help and ppl here who may be across the country ( or globe ) may not be around when you have a peoblem, but if you supprt your local dive shop they will probably be right there when you need them.

Get a full face mask, beats chewin on a nipple and you can breath through your nose! (Except you have to pay through the nose for it...)

Scott M once bubbled...
BC:
I like the looks and concept of the Mares Air Trim system (not sure if it even works) or the Dive Rite Trans Pac II (Or equivalent)

A friend has a Mares with the Air trim. Piece of ****. On her second BC (bought one new this spring) and waiting for the next replacement to arrive. Apparently they're great, "when they work". At the moment she using the manual dump as the air trim won't. Personally I much prefer back inflate BC's. I dive a Sherwood Outback, my wife dives a US Divers Alcyone (I'm going to try it one of these days when she's not diving, it's so beautifully compact, of course, it's not black).

Regulator:
Atomic Aquatics Z1 or M1, Mares Abyss or V32, Apeks ATX-200
For this item I'd recommend seeing what you can get serviced locally. IMHO all the above are good. Personally I dive Aqualung regs.

Octopus: I thought I would like to have that set up off the BC Inflate/deflate hose but I am not sure if that is a good idea
Again, just my opinion, but NO, NO, NO, NO. I want you to visualize ascending with the reg on the end of the corrugated hose in your mouth, your buddy on your primary (and real close to you, because it's only a short hose) while trying to dump air from the inflator hose (the one you're breathing from). The only practical method I can see, is detach the LP hose from the corrugated hose. OOPS, you let too much air out and your negative. :( If there's one item you don't buy, this should be it. I was able to find a 36" yellow LP hose for my octo, which I find far better than the "standard?" 30" it came with.

Fins: Either the Apollo or the Atomic Aquatics Liquid Blue were my first choices - I have never used either. The LDS across the lake is a big Force Fin dealer so maybe I will try those also.

Will echo a previous post, love my Mares Quattro fins. 90% of the staff (instructors and DM) at my LDS dive Quattros.

My preference will be these (to see fishies and corals)

Mask: Mares X-vision (great viewing angle, low-volume)

BC: Dive Rite Transpac II with wings (or the new Venture wings)
or SS BP with Oxycheq wings

Fins: Go with the Force! Or Mares Volos, they are really comfortable and efficient too!

Regs: Poseidon Cyklons or Jetstream/Odin, or Apex TX 100 or Mares Abyss.

Suit: Titanium neoprene (by Camaro or others). They do not have as much positive buoyancy but really keeps you warm. And they are comfortable.

Booties: Anything to keep you comfortable.. (or nothing :) )

Snorkels: something disposable?

I own almost all of them.... well the trick was to slowly buy as your budget allows... prevents a lot of uneccessary "upgrading"

:snorkel:

Lake Champlain would be my primary dive site. Mid 40's in the early spring, Mid 70's height of the summer. I would think never warmer than 50 at any kind of depth.

My thought was the Henderson Hyper either 3 or 5 mm and I have a 3m shorty I can through on under it for colder days. Not sure if this will be enough or not. Then when I do get the chance to dive in warmer waters I can just use the Henderson for full critter protection.

Different people have different needs at the same temps. But 3+3 or even 3+5 sounds inadequate for 40s-50s, especially at depth when it compresses. Many people would consider 40s drysuit only territory. Depending what you mean by "warmer", 5 may be too much, 3 may be too much.

BC:

Since I will not diving 200 times a year I will need one that is easy to adjust bouyancy with.

"works" is a whole lot more important than "looks" :)

You want to make sure the inflate button or whatever is easy to tell from deflate and easy to use with gloves. You want to make sure the operation and position of dumps work for you. I'm not sure what "not diving 200 times a year" has to do with it though. Good design is helpful, but you can't and shouldn't rely on the equipment to take care of things for you. I do think you need to make every effort to try the BC out before buying. In the water is obviously better, but in the store is better than nothing.

Octupus: I thought I would like to have that set up off the BC Inflate/deflate hose but I am not sure if that is a good idea

Search around, there's alot of opinions out there on this setup that would be good to read.

For lake Champlain, you want some serious exposure potection. A 7mm semi dry with a hooded vest would keep you toasty.

You can get some great deals on wetsuits here , but most people will tell you to go to a bricks and mortar store and buy what fits best.

mwilding once bubbled...
For lake Champlain, you want some serious exposure potection. A 7mm semi dry with a hooded vest would keep you toasty.

You can get some great deals on wetsuits here , but most people will tell you to go to a bricks and mortar store and buy what fits best.

I dive is mid 50's water that sometimes gets to high 40's F, and would not consider less than a 7mm suit with a hooded vest. the Henderson hyperstretch is my first choice, and I love the suit.

That being said, I had a few bucks burning a hole in my wallet and now have a DUI TLS350 drysuit on the way (with the dollars now missing, for some reason...heh)...

good luck!

Sean

I would have just bought a cheapy, used 7mm wetsuit somewhere to start, and then when my budget allowed, I would have bought a drysuit.

Right now, I have a fantastic, warm wetsuit (a Mares Isotherm) which I can't wait to get rid of and get a drysuit. But I paid good $$ for the wetsuit.

I dive in the Great Lakes, and temperatures are pretty similar. Save you money - go dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom