New gear - spend my money !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you consider a back plate I eneded up getting my deep outdoors backplate and wing on Ebay for $160. I bought a single tank adapter from S&W metal prodects for $35. Of course I decided to switch from just a back plate to the deep outdoors Matrix whidch did cost me a little more. You could get into a back and wing for $200-250 if you were patient and spent some time browsing Ebay. Check out S&W's stuff, they seem to be very reasonably priced and I was very happy with their product.

http://www.swmetalproducts.com/hhbp1.asp

Is this a great forum or what?

Not only do I get a lot of usefull recommendatons I get the reasons for the everybody's individual choices as well.

Looks like I've got some reseach to do.

I did find an LDS across the lake from me that claims to have a pretty good selections of equipment, so I will check them out shortly.

Keep them coming

And thanks again to all that have taken their time to reply.

Scott M

Scott,

Congrats on your OW cert, you are well on your way to enjoying a wonderful sport!

You are doing the right thing, get everyone's opinion, research, and form your own. With that said, here is my $.02

Exposure - I dive a Henderson hypersuade (like the hyperstretch, but will not "pull" from velcro from a comberbund). I love this suit because it fits, period. I have a 3mil, but for your location, if you are going to dive wet, I would consider a 7mil or at minimum a 5mil with some extra core protection (your shorty you mentioned). If you are going to consider dry, Henderson makes a great suit called the "Arctic" (pretty sure that's the name) for about $600. It is a 7/5 neoprene, and is a good quality suit for the price.

Mask, snorkel, fins - Let me start by saying, there are probably more masks, snorkels, and fins on the market than any other piece of diving equipment. When you are selecting this and other types of gear, you might look to what folks who do technical diving use. Here's my reasoning, technical divers will use what is proven again, and again with the least failure rate. The equipment will be the most rugged, and provide the best performance in all conditions overall. If you ask most technical divers, they will tell you that they dive their basic tek rig even when recreational diving... so with that said, mask would be a Scubapro frameless (great mask, excellent vis, low profile, quality seal), snorkel.... hehe, no.. and if you must, get a foldable one that can be stowed. Fins, either Scubapro Jetfins, Turtles, or the Quattros (as tempting as splits might seem, I would not buy them, but if you want to find out for yourself, buy a pair somewhere where they can be returned easily, like Diver's Direct).

Bouyancy and weight - OK, you mentioned that you want equipment that can grow with you. A BP/Wing combination is always a good choice, however you could take it a step further. OMS makes a great harness system called the IQ. It is not really a "BC" per se, because you have to buy a wing for it (any wing will fit), but it provides the flexability of a standard web harness (it is web based), but it adds padding where it is needed, and provides a nice platform whether you're diving rec or tek. One other advantage is that if you are diving single cylinders (which I'm imagining you will be for a while), you dont need a backplate, however, when you decide you need one (either for weighting or mounting doubles), you can easily add it. Do yourself a favor though, do not buy the "sagless" weighting system from OMS, but rather opt for something like the Halcyon ACB weighting system, or a good 'ole weight belt.

Regulator - I will agree with most in this thread and say that Atomic and Apeks are both solid choices. However, if you happen to have a dealer in the area who can service them, Poseidon Xstream is a solid environmentally sealed cold water reg that just plain works. They can be a little pricey, but this reg delivers a smooth stream of air at any depth, and IMHO, they are engineered with the fewest failure points in the market. I'm sure that folks will chime in and say that they are expensive to service and find parts for, but if you have a decent dealer, this is not an issue, and I personally don't mind paying a few extra bucks for quality, but that's just me :)

Computer - Lots of choices here.... but let me try and break it down a liitle bit. Most of today's computers use one of two different algorithms to compute your NDL (no-decompression limit), Buhlmann, and modified Haldane. Modified Haldane is the least consevative of the two and therefore will give you a greater bottom time than a comparative Buhlmann based computer. Alot of folks have mentioned Suunto, which uses a proprietary RGBM model, but I do not know enough about this model to make a comparison between it and the Haldane or Buhlmann. Anyone help out here?
Most "recreational" computers will go into a "lock out" mode if ever put into a deco situation even by accident. More often than not this will result in your computer operating in gauge mode only for 24 hours. Of course, by PADI standards, if you slip into a deco profile, even by accident, they tell you not to dive for 24 hours, but I digress... Myself, I dive a Cochran Gemini II. This is an air integrated wrist mount computer with a ton of things that I think are important. The biggest feature in my opinion is that the Gemini is like two computers in one providing redundancy to itself. The tank unit is not just a transducer/transmiitter like the Suuntos and Oceanics, but an actual separate computer that provides info to the wrist unit, unless there is a failure, in which case the wrist unit takes over with the current values (minus of course, your tank pressure). Both tank and wrist unit have user replaceable batteries (AA's in the TU and N's in the WU), and the TU actually has two separate compartments that hold 2 AA's a peice in case one floods it will operate on just 2 in the other compartment. This computer will do up to 3 mixes any of which can be nitrox up to 99%, and it will not lock out on you if you slip into deco, it will calculate your deco time even if your on the surface using 21% air at ambient pressure. It even knows the difference between salt water and fresh and will adjust your depth reading accordingly. there are alot of computers out there, but just take a look at this one before you make a choice, you won't be sorry you did. http://www.divecochran.com/computers/Gemini/index.html
(now for my disclaimer) A computer is in no way a replacement for a good working knowledge of dive tables and your dive plan, but should be used as redundancy for your brain, just like you carry a spare reg.

I wish you the best of luck in your purchases and your future diving. Dive safe and never stop asking questions, even the "stupid" ones, or the ones that will get you flamed like "What's the advatage of DIR again?":boom:

Scott,

A few random notes on gear selection (I'm a gear junkie, so I did the research and essentially exactly what you are doing now...):

1. Mares airtrim (I think you know by now) is a mess of functions that you don't need and can't rely upon if you have to operate things manually.

2. I bought a Zeagle Octo + shoulder-hose/dump integrated and I'm regretting it (anyone want to buy a brand new one for $50.00?). Go with a good safe second and octo. Spend good money for an octo...don't go cheap--after all, you will be using the octo, not your dive buddy in most cases. Most all 2nd stages are adequate until you look into cold-water diving. You probably can't buy crap from your local dive shop, but you can buy a low-cost one that'll fail when you abuse it vs. a more expensive one that'll take your abuse and continue working with annual maintenance.

3. I bought a few suits and am looking at a drysuit. There are a few places (NOAA website as an example) where you can check water temperatures year-round, then search this board for a string including suits and temps and you'll find your answer on what thickness you need. Go for fit rather than looks. I tried FOREVER to keep all my gear black, but you know what...that was a dumb idea. Fit should be #1 priority. I currently own a shorty 3mm, a full 5/4/3mm for temps 75-80, and am looking at drysuits for temps below 75 degrees. If you get a drysuit...look into custom tailoring, it'll save you that soggy-look and will ensure a good fit.

4. Go for a BC with back-inflation. As mentioned earlier in this string, technical divers and pros use back inflation. Not sure I want to get 100% into DIR, as I plan alot of recreational diving vs. shipwreck penetration and depth, but it's a good call to look into Halcyon...you can at least cover all bases with a backplate and wings. I bought a Zeagle back-inflated BC and it serves the purpose except for technical diving, so there ARE alternatives to jumping into technical diving yet maintaining a back-inflated BC.

5. Shop around. I've seen good dive shops and bad ones. They are a cross-section of society, so realize that you could get ripped off at a bad shop and have the best deal you've ever seen given to you at a good one. A word of caution...if you buy off the web, make sure your gear comes with a factory warranty and at that I'd even venture as far as to say "call the factory and ask who'll service this thing" under warranty. I bought 80% of my gear online...but let me tell you Scott...LDSs I've visited don't even want to discuss online products with you. There are probably good exceptions out there, and I welcome dialogue in a private message, but do yourself a favor...if you buy online, 1-be smart and 2-don't mention it much at your local dive shop.

6. I know that in previous messages guys have mentioned "split fins if you want them..." but I finally bought a set and I will go against any non-split fin diver any day wearing my setup. They cost a little more, but you get a good product that'll work hard for your input in the water. Try Apollo Bio-Fins. Made in the PacNW by divers who know gear-laden thrust needs. Other split fins work just as well, and they've solved the delamination problem between plastics so don't fall into that "it'll come apart" trap. Less effort and less movement=more travel for your muscle input.

7. Despite what some say, carry a damn snorkel. Oops, you are away from the boat...it's choppy...you are out of air...you are eating seaweed and floating on your back bacause you can't swim with your BC due to no snorkel. It's part of your life-saving equipment and you can at least use it to conserve air at the surface for quite a few reasons. Who cares if it flops around? At least you'll have it to save your rear should you need it.

8. Get a computer with a future, that is--one that'll work for you when you start NITROX diving. I've got an Aeris that'll display my tank pressure even if the battery goes out. I have a backup depth gauge as well. Be smart. Think what could happen if your battery dies...do I abort the dive or can I safely do this with redundant equipment? Other dive computers are on the wrist only (no tank-pressure alarms or integration) or are air-integrated and do everything from pressure monitoring to depth and deco limits. I'm a bit wary about buying one that does it all...what if my battery died? No dive today folks...I ran outta juice. Basic equipment=SPG plus Depth Gauge plus Bottom Timer. You can either get that in a computer or be super-safe and get them separate. There are discussions in this board to answer any inquiries you might have.

That's about enough of my dribbling. Good luck out there. Be smart and remember that you can omit some equipment and get streamlined and dead in an emergency situation, or you can be smart and carry a bit extra for those unknown situations.

John

Thanks for the reply's.

Due to the weather up here I have some time to investigate the gear before purchase. It looks like I'll need it.

It will be interesting to hear what is introduced at the DEMA show.

Scott M

Being my 2nd day as a member here I'm amazed at this thread. You completely changed my wish list. You've also made me realize how much I was hosed on my mask snorkle and fins. Lesson learned.

Only equipment I have is Mares Mask, Sherwood dry snorkle and split fins (forgot which ones) but the LDS sold them for $175. I was "lucky" enough to have him reduce it $100. Dick! $240 out the door for those three items. That is my donation to my LDS. LP here I come.

I am close to giving up on Airtrim since nobody with experience cares for it. Its all I used during my OW cert so I fell in love with its ease of use. I have never used the other older method so I'll give that a try. Plus BC's are cheaper without Airtrim.

I'll do a year of diving before my gear package is complete. Keep the recommendations coming.

Ok, am pretty much in the same boat as yourself. Am newly qualified (OW) and am getting dives in on a weekly basis. This is thanks to my instructor who is letting me use the school gear until i get my own. Own my own mask and snorkel, yes a snorkel. Sorry but i find it really useful for surface swims as we do a lot of shore entries. I know what the general opinion is on snorkels but hey it works for me. Am going to buy my drysuit in the next fortnight. Am going to get the same one as the one the school uses as i have used it and it works for me as well. Unless that is someone can advise me differently, but have asked that question elsewhere. Need a drysuit here as Scotland is no suntrap and even in the summer things are chilly, never mind diving through the winter as we are going to be doing. Will get drysuit, hoses, valves, hood, gloves and undersuit. Then onto regs, Scuba pro probably, bcd, Buddy ranger is the plan, and then move on from there. Fins are coming this or next week hopefully, set of Tusa's. So there you go, thats my plans and hopefully i am on the wright path. I am fortunate enough that i am getting a chance to use kit that is not mine and finding out what suits me. Keep asking questions though. I did the same on this board and keep looking thorugh the net, i did the same. Read as much as you can get your hands on, in time the picture starts to clear and you get a good idea of what you want and where you want to go with your kit. Or at least that is how i have got to where i ma now on kit buying decisions. If you want to ask me anything feel free to pm me. Wll be more than happy to let you how a newbie like me is getting on with kit and diving in general. Safe diving mate.

Similar to the Airtrim system, but with a manual system. I understand it to be simpler and less prone to failure. It's a great BC if you hate inflator hoses.

you asked for it:

mask - best fitting frameless, neoprene strap
fins - scubapro jets, spring straps
snorkel - cheapest

BC - halcyon backplate & wing
regs - scubapro 1st & primary 2nd (long hose), air 2 backup
instr. - small spg, suunto computer & compass, rolex watch

exposure protection - henderson gold core line (matches watch)
weights - plain old weightbelt
misc. - 5" medic shears, safety sausage

-Klaus

Oops, forgot, geting computer before regs. Computer = more dive time, more dive time good. Need to develop air consumption to match :)

Back
Top Bottom