New gear - spend my money !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the reply's.

So far I am leaning towards the following gear:

BC:
Dive-Rite: Transpac II or BP/Wings
Halcyon BP/wings
-I am leaning towards the Dive-Rite Transpac because I am not really sure of how to set-up the BP/Wing and I have no idea what I will need for a plate or wing size and design.
Also one of the LDS has all but said I will look like an arse showing up on a dive boat doing reef peeping with a BP/Wings set-up. He sells both so he is not pushing me into his gear. Another LDS has a Halcyon set-up hanging on the wall. All I can say is that is one sweet looking rig.

Computer:
I like the Cochran but can not find a dealer close to me or an on-line dealer for them. I like the Suunto Vytec also so I will probably go with that one unless I can find the Cochran. Both nice.

Regs/Octo:
Apeks: ATX 200 and ATX 50

Tanks: I am little confused on what to get. My LDS has suggested Aluminum. He has some that are a little shorter than a std 80 but hold 3300lb fill. I am going to buy two so I do not have to run to the LDS all the time to have them filled.

Pony: I am not real sure on what to get with this yet but I am getting one with it's own reg set-up.

Spare Air: Not really for diving. More for use when I put my docks and hoist out. I need a something that will give me a few minutes under while adjusting the legs in 5' of water.

Thats the list so far

Note: I have found a few local dive shops (not really that local but close enough) and did some calling and leg work this past week.

The results: I had a really great experience at one. He will be getting the majority of my business. I will have to order most of my items but that is OK.

The other LDS is another story. If they were the only place I could get gear I would quit diving, "Period". To bad really - they have a nice shop with lots of stock and I had cash - oh well their lose.

Thanks again
Scott M

You sound like a candidate for leisure pro as , as you say, nothing good around you. Your proposed diving is common. I recommend the following package, all available from leisure pro.
Zeagle Ranger
Zeagle ebon mask and snokel
Apollo Bio fin Pro split fins
Oceanic DX4 with enviromental kit.
Oceanic Delta 4 second
Oceanic swivel Octo
Oceanic Versa pro nitrox dive computer with compass. Stay away from wrist mount computers. While nominally convenient, they are a pain when suiting up and experience tells me straps fail. Get your console set so you can view it by simply looking down.
Xs Suba wetsuits. Henderson is way overpriced,IMO.
Lights, weights, knives, shears, and misc gear can be your choice.

Pelican lights are best for after sale service and support.

Scott M once bubbled...
-I am leaning towards the Dive-Rite Transpac because I am not really sure of how to set-up the BP/Wing and I have no idea what I will need for a plate or wing size and design.

Anyone who sells this gear can help you chose and set up your BP/wing. A stainless steel backplate is standard and usually weighs 6 pounds. Unless you carry a lot of heavy gear the smallest wing you can find (around 30 pounds of lift) will be your best choice for single tank diving. Setting up a harness is similar to tying shoelaces: you can figure it out pretty quickly.

-Klaus

Scott,

I'm jealous of your intent to buy the gear you've listed. Overall, sounds like you've done a thorough research job.

The LP example package listed several replies above this one is a good deal too, but a metal backplate and wings (Dive-rite, Halcyon, Zeagle et al) is a good idea if you ever want to get into double-tank/technical diving later on. Consider NOT taking that setup for a tropical dive if you plan to travel, unless you cut the clothes short and are maximizing your gear instead.

One good point you might want to adhere to is: Don't use the SPARE AIR for anything other than emergency use. Why? You might forget to fill it, and when you really need it (11 breaths ascending from 100ft @ 60ft/min.) you are out. Use your main cylinder for that, the pony on ascent/decom/safety stop, and save your SPARE AIR for those "oh ****e" occaisons.

I posted another thread earlier (see "nightmare on diveshop street) about my LDS experience. I'm going to the "good" diveshop to spend some money tonight, but I tell everyone about the "bad" shop whenever I get the chance. Bottom line is: If they don't treat you right (as a normal consumer would assume), then assist them in going out of business. A good dive shop will convince you to buy from them rather than shame you into oblivion with ranting about how their poor existence depends on meager service and overpriced gear (the "bad" shop lists all it's sale items, usually neon in color, about 5-10 dollars under what the "retail" is...hmmm a sale?).

Good luck.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom