New in N. Cal! - Question about BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERP once bubbled...

And this is it...... Karls one and only tactic, when confrronted with real life examples or reasonable logic. Evade the question with a complete non sequitur.

He'd be amusing if some of his advice wasn't borderline dangerous.

ERP, lets go diving!

[thats H.T.'s favorite quote. he owns Aquarius.]

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...

ERP, lets go diving!

[thats H.T.'s favorite quote. he owns Aquarius.]

Would you please answer my question.

cornfed once bubbled...

Would you please answer my question.

OK.

1) An EBA is a last resort, not a planned contingency.

2) Dont forget that you most likely have a buddy. If you or your buddy or both are wearing wetsuits, one of you may have to bear the full negative buoyancy at depth for both.

Add that up, and you will see why Zeagle's 65 lb wings are popular as well. 45 lbs is borderline, based on my calculations. 35 is totally unsat for the west coast north of where the spiny lobsters grow.

OK.

2) Dont forget that you most likely have a buddy. If you or your buddy or both are wearing wetsuits, one of you may have to bear the full negative buoyancy at depth for both.

Add that up, and you will see why Zeagle's 65 lb wings are popular as well. 45 lbs is borderline, based on my calculations. 35 is totally unsat for the west coast north of where the spiny lobsters grow.

I'll give you the EBA point but I still don't see why you shouldn't be able to swim your rig up. Why should I need my buddy to act as my BC and tow me up?

You reasoning for this just doesn't make sense. If you have some much weight that you can't swim your rig up you need to consider this problem. Asking your buddy to get a bigger BC is a "solution" but it doesn't seem like a very good one. You're going to need to do more to explain yourself.

OK.

They may be popular, but they are total overkill. I own one. Someday you'll see it on Ebay. In the meantime, it lives in my garage. Which is precisely where it belongs. Unstreamlined POS that isn't even appropriate for puddle dives.

Up here, a 27 lb wing is just fine in a wetsuit with an AL80.

If, for some obscure reason, I couldn't ascend with that rig, there is still no worry. Use of a weight harness that allows sequential dropping would solve that problem.

Regardless, even doubles and stages don't require the kind of lift that Karl advocates. I have no problem staying buoyant with dual 104's and an AL40 with a 55 lb wing. In a drysuit, In the North Atlantic. In other words, in conditions that match what I found when I visited Northern California.

Karl's perpetuating the myth that you need to become a human liftbag. He probably uses a 65 lb wing when he dives to 185 feet with his single and a pony.

New divers BEWARE. Karl's developed a habit of offering advice that is, at a minimum, wrong. At a max, you'll win an all expense paid ride in an air ambulance and, if you live, a chamber.

cornfed once bubbled...

I'll give you the EBA point

Good.

EBA is one of those "skills" that some agencies actually practice in the open water, while others do not. It probably would guarantee a trip to the local chamber, or worse, if done from any significant depth. I do the drill in the pool with students, and also practice weight belt ditching on the surface in the open water. Aside from that, your weight belt stays on, except as a last resort.

cornfed once bubbled...
I still don't see why you shouldn't be able to swim your rig up. Why should I need my buddy to act as my BC and tow me up?

This "skill" of swimming your rig up, is normally not even taught until the tech level. I think you would find that for most divers, especially in wetsuits, it would be impossible.

cornfed once bubbled...

If you have some much weight that you can't swim your rig up you need to consider this problem.

Same answer as above, regarding wetsuit dynamics. The answer is to get a drysuit, and with your drysuit to have perfect buoyancy. Then the swing would only be about 5 lbs from full tank to empty tank. But the issue is East Coast Florida B/Cs on West Coast 7mm double-layered divers. AND their buddies.

cornfed once bubbled...

You're going to need to do more to explain...

I thought we settled that point, that all anyone NEEDS to do is

1) breathe
2) eat & drink
3) sleep
4) pay taxes
5) eventually die.

Anything more would simply be strictly a convenience or a courtesy.

Consider the courtesy. DEE is keeping score, remember?

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

They may be popular, but they are total overkill. I own one. Someday you'll see it on Ebay. In the meantime, it lives in my garage. Which is precisely where it belongs. Unstreamlined POS that isn't even appropriate for puddle dives.

Up here, a 27 lb wing is just fine in a wetsuit with an AL80.

If, for some obscure reason, I couldn't ascend with that rig, there is still no worry. Use of a weight harness that allows sequential dropping would solve that problem.

Regardless, even doubles and stages don't require the kind of lift that Karl advocates. I have no problem staying buoyant with dual 104's and an AL40 with a 55 lb wing. In a drysuit, In the North Atlantic. In other words, in conditions that match what I found when I visited Northern California.

Karl's perpetuating the myth that you need to become a human liftbag. He probably uses a 65 lb wing when he dives to 185 feet with his single and a pony.

New divers BEWARE...

ad hominem.

ad hominems are used in trial procedure to sway juries with emotional appeals. they really have no appropriate place on a scuba board. they probably have no appropriate place in court either. to wit, you do not hear ad hominem arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court.

but a bad lawyer probably knows no other way to argue.

your rig sounds like a quite good rig, NEWreck.

unfortunately you dont see a rig like that every day.

if ever.

This "skill" of swimming your rig up, is normally not even taught until the tech level. I think you would find that for most divers, especially in wetsuits, it would be impossible.

What has to be taught? Why would it be impossible for most divers to swim up there rig in a wetsuit? We're talking about recreational divers, aren't we?!

But the issue is East Coast Florida B/Cs on West Coast 7mm double-layered divers. AND their buddies.

You've never satisfactorily explained this East/West thing. Now BC are made for the east coast of florida? Everytime you try to explain something the story changes.

Why are people wearing TWO 7mm suits? How much colder is it over there? What are the water temps?

Consider the courtesy. DEE is keeping score, remember?

Yeah, but I don't think you understand the scoring system. :mean:

ad hominem.

<snip>

but a bad lawyer probably knows no other way to argue.

It might seem like that, but it really won't be very hard to show that your advice is questionable. In fact, it has be done several different threads already.

your rig sounds like a quite good rig, NEWreck.

unfortunately you dont see a rig like that every day.

if ever.

First of all you do see them.

Second, the reason you don't see more of them is people like you who offer to fix problems that shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom