New member, relatively new diver - wanting own equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thx, that's awesome!! Any insight on using an Oxycheq Signature Mach V #30lbs Wing with your plate?
NM - I see this has been answered already in many other threads! That you originally designed it around those wings!!

I read your post but still have a question.

You live on Roatan? If so, I might consider Mares gear as you can get/service it at the factory store in the West End.

I admit I'm not a Hydros fan. Besides the tearing out of various components reported here - since fixed - it's the price...you could get two different BC configurations in some of the other brands you mentioned for the same money.

If you are traveling and considering Zeagle - also look at the Covert XL. It's actually a streamlined Ranger Jacket with a soft backplate. About the same$$ as an Express Tech but the Covert rolls up. It's just not as modular.

I'll politely disagree with Stuart, I can thread a Ripcord just by looking at it for a minute or two. - even if I haven't done it for a couple years. IMO opinion the best feature of the Ripcord is that the weights - in the yellow weight bags with solid handles - come out the top zipper when hanging on the ladder and handing weights up.

Or if you don't mind dropping two different pockets, their other weight system also plugs into the Express Tech - it's all velcro. Ziptouch?

We do NOT live on Roatan, but that may happen eventually. We are looking at property there, but for the foreseeable future it would be an own/rent-out place where we would use it for probably 4 weeks a year and rent it out the rest. And yes I hear you about the Mares shop, been in there quite a few times, especially as it's now opposite the dive shop we use. We have 5 kids, the youngest is almost 10, so it will be a while before we re-locate. In the meantime we fly down there and will also be flying to other locations and LOB's.

Trying to decide on a softplate with weight pockets or a SS plate knowing that it will have most of the weight I normally use 'built-in"!! Pro's and con's to both. If I have been diving wearing a Pilot with 6-8lb ditchable weight and now have a 6lb SS plate, that would potentially mean only 0-2lb ditchable, correct?

Thx for the feedback on the Zeagle.

Roatan is great and I understand that you love it, but I am curious as to why you are not interested in diving other places besides Roatan or the occasional LOB? Have you already traveled extensively to other places and have decided that Roatan is the best place for you?

Roatan is great and I understand that you love it, but I am curious as to why you are not interested in diving other places besides Roatan or the occasional LOB? Have you already traveled extensively to other places and have decided that Roatan is the best place for you?

My wife fell in love with the island and we've been going for a number of years. We do plan on going to other places to dive, not sure where you read that we weren't interested in diving elsewhere. We will most likely go to Roatan for an extended trip each year, and then do 1-2 other trips. Sometimes they will be back home to the UK to visit family, other times they will be to LOB's or other diving location trips. 4/5 of our kids are now OW certified (12/15/18/21) but the youngest (9) is not there yet, so we definitely will try and get them (and us) to experience other places. We are looking at property there as we have a great opportunity that fits us really well. It is in our budget, meets our needs (& then some) and will provide a cost offset by renting it out.

As we gain more experience diving (we are only at 80-100) we will look to expand on where we go. If there's a top 10/20 list of places to go, we will certainly be open to recommendations!! (But it has to be warm for my wife!!)

Follow on question. If I'm looking at buying a used plate, harness and wing from the classifieds on this forum, what do you do to test the wing upon receipt if you don't have a pool or any way to submerse it other than the bathtub? I gather the plate and harness gear you visually check for any issues (wear/tear on the webbing etc.), but the wing is a bladder inside of a bag essentially. I could test in a manner similar to looking for a leak in a bicycle tyre, inflate and run it through a tub of water looking for bubbles; as well as check the outer cover for potential damage. Any other recommendations?

My concern stems from being a relative new diver (80-100 dives), all on rental jackets. This is essentially life support equipment and while I wouldn't put it quite on the same level as the regulator and the rest of the air equipment, it is still obviously important! I will buy a new reg set, but $400 for a complete BP/W set up seems like a good option. I can still put my name down for a Freedom plate too.

Orally inflate it as full as you can and let it sit. If it's still pretty tight the next day, the bladder is good. You can also unzip the shell and visually inspect the bladder, to verify it hasn't been patched. Not, there is anything inherently wrong with a patch.

And visually inspect the elbow where the corrugated hose attaches to make sure it doesn't have any sign of a crack.

The last thing to check if being extra thorough requires hooking it up to a tank. Hit the power inflator button to make sure it doesn't stick. A runaway BCD inflation is not very fun. Inflate it until the OPV lets go, to make sure that works correctly too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom