New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@brandanb - Please help us keep this thread on topic for updates on the new product line of slip over filters by SRP for the GoPro Dive Housing. There will be opportunities for comparisons and marketing of competitors products after the launch of the new slip over. Thanks for your help with this. :D

UPDATE: Just spoke with Bill over at SRP and learned that the new slip over filter for the GoPro Dive Housing will not vignette in any mode while shooting underwater. Also sounds like testing is further along than first expected and by the tone of Bills voice this thing is very kewl. He can be such a tease at times.

Cant wait to get my hands on this!

Slip over?

What is the patent application number?

@danpass - As far as patent information on another companies patents, this not my area to comment on Sorry!

Slip Over: From what I understand it slips over the front of the existing lens of the GoPro Dive Housing. I think the term "slip over" is used to set it apart from other products that would be classified as a flip over or flip down or products that requires you to remove the single lens of the dive housing and replace it with another filter. It also lends the diver the opportunity to remove or apply the product while underwater. This is a feature that has been requested by divers for sometime now. It is yet to be seen how it affixes itself to the the dive housing. Providing you the best information I can as I am not privy to the working of the product yet. Hope this helps? Have a great day! :D

Last edited:
If they've applied for a patent that is public information and therefore searchable.

My idea has been to simply take the cover die and mold a red plastic instead of the black cover. It's so simple that I am simply waiting for someone with the gear to do it (are you reading GoPro?). The only consideration is that it be a quality material to actually provide effective color correction.

Hey Dan,

Sounds like an interesting idea. Not sure if it is a design SRP would use based on Bill's statement.

"If it isn't something new, exciting, and of high quality, than we won't make it!"

Dan, there are only so many possibilities as far as mounting systems go. More than likely their solution is really no different than yours except the end where the button is located is left open and the whole assembly slides on from the other end. It's really not rocket science. How they make that exciting and innovative is yet to be seen. I hope they have the sense to integrate a protective cover into the unit, something that backscatter failed to do with theirs.

Hey Guys,

I really need to reiterate Bill's statement.

"If it isn't something new, exciting, and of high quality, than we won't make it!"

While probing for information, the ideas mentioned above didn't seem to be the direction they were headed.

Thanks for the passing on the teaser AquaPro :D

My idea has been to simply take the cover die and mold a red plastic instead of the black cover. It's so simple that I am simply waiting for someone with the gear to do it (are you reading GoPro?). The only consideration is that it be a quality material to actually provide effective color correction.

I'm Pretty sure if that's all that this was it wouldn't really be anything new or exciting would it? there would also be limitations to such a basic approach due to the wide angle lens and vignetting which is why nobody is doing that. No point having the GoPro dive housing that really only added vignette free in all modes above what we already had from SRP and BS and throw a filter on that performs worse then whats already available in with those options.

More info will be available as soon as its ready and its good to see SRP come up with what I'm sure will be a great quality product like everything else they have released to date. As the OP says they cant say more because its in the process of a patent application then obviously no more info will come out until that's all finalized. I like everyone else here cant wait to see what they have managed to do.

Hey JTemple,

Not sure there is a pre-production sign up sheet. I do know all of AquaPro HD customers will receive a special notice. I'll check with Bill and see if they're planning to do per-orders. Hope this helps?

I also confirmed that a solution for the BlurFix is in place as well. That's great news for the diver that wants everything that the BlurFix offers in one housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom