New SoCal OW Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morlan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi SB!

Did a DSD in Turks and Caicos last November, just completed my PADI OW last week at Beach Cities Scuba in Laguna Beach, and planning on completing AOW in the near future.

Hope to dive with some of you soon!

~Mor

Hello and welcome!

Welcome!

A few other resources/groups I would recommend you checking out are powerscuba (meetup.com) and west coast dive club. Powerscuba is out of San Diego but has discount boat charters up/down the SD/LA coast, their organized shore dives do tend to be in San Diego. West Coast Dive club, I believe, is out of LA but same sort of deal but their shore dive events are OC/LA.

During the summer I would highly encourage you to attend the LA County Rocks, Rips, and Reef program to learn about some local shore diving spots in this excellent free program. San Diego has one as well!

Did Beach Cities take your class over to Avalon for the dive park? If not i'd highly recommend a trip over, its one of the best dives in Southern California in my opinion.

I'm San Diego based but frequently am in LA for dive related stuff, so any questions happy to answer!

Happy Diving!

Welcome!

A few other resources/groups I would recommend you checking out are powerscuba (meetup.com) and west coast dive club. Powerscuba is out of San Diego but has discount boat charters up/down the SD/LA coast, their organized shore dives do tend to be in San Diego. West Coast Dive club, I believe, is out of LA but same sort of deal but their shore dive events are OC/LA.

During the summer I would highly encourage you to attend the LA County Rocks, Rips, and Reef program to learn about some local shore diving spots in this excellent free program. San Diego has one as well!

Did Beach Cities take your class over to Avalon for the dive park? If not i'd highly recommend a trip over, its one of the best dives in Southern California in my opinion.

I'm San Diego based but frequently am in LA for dive related stuff, so any questions happy to answer!

Happy Diving!

I’ve joined a few FB dive clubs (there are quite a lot in SoCal) and look forward to joining in on some shore dive events.

I’ll definitely look into the LAC Rocks, Rips, and Reef program (especially if it’s FREE)!

We didn’t go to Catalina during the OW course so I’ve actually been looking into other schools for the AOW that go to Catalina or Anacapa. Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

~Mor

I’ve joined a few FB dive clubs (there are quite a lot in SoCal) and look forward to joining in on some shore dive events.

I’ll definitely look into the LAC Rocks, Rips, and Reef program (especially if it’s FREE)!

We didn’t go to Catalina during the OW course so I’ve actually been looking into other schools for the AOW that go to Catalina or Anacapa. Any recommendations?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

~Mor

I believe Hollywood divers and Pacific Wilderness do, but I did my AOW down here in San Diego. But I'd call around ask the shops to confirm.

If you want a very local version of training you could take the LA County Advanced Diver Program (ADP). It's most of a summer, does a boat dive, avalon dive, altitude dive, and others. I believe they are running one this summer. It's a good course from the OG recreational scuba training agency (PADI and NAUI spun off from this agency).

I believe Hollywood divers and Pacific Wilderness do, but I did my AOW down here in San Diego. But I'd call around ask the shops to confirm.

If you want a very local version of training you could take the LA County Advanced Diver Program (ADP). It's most of a summer, does a boat dive, avalon dive, altitude dive, and others. I believe they are running one this summer. It's a good course from the OG recreational scuba training agency (PADI and NAUI spun off from this agency).

That looks very interesting but it seems to be defunct now. I tried visiting http://www.lacountyscuba.com/ and the site no longer exists. :(

Los Angeles County Parks & Recreation Underwater Unit is the new site. It's not a great site, but all the staff are volunteers so it's functional if basic.
Looks like a challenging program and some similar criteria to the GUE Fundamentals program.

This one worries me 😨 👉 50 feet underwater swim (no swim aids); I'm assuming on one breath similar to GUE. I've never tried but that seems like holding a long breath!

I'll definitely be going to the 3R's next year, that looks like a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom