New suit, need upkeep tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jazscam

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry Suit used. It is not coming with any documents and I was wondering what are some of the maintenance needs for this specific suit.

I understand basic wet suit care and cleaning, but what maintenance do heavy duty zippers and seals require?

I looked in the some of the other threads and there is not much info on specifics.

Does anyone have access to online manuals? I couldn't find one at the mares site.

Thanks,

J

jazscam:
I just bought a Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry Suit used. It is not coming with any documents and I was wondering what are some of the maintenance needs for this specific suit.

I understand basic wet suit care and cleaning, but what maintenance do heavy duty zippers and seals require?

I looked in the some of the other threads and there is not much info on specifics.

Does anyone have access to online manuals? I couldn't find one at the mares site.

Thanks,

J
J,
what you need to do for the care on your zipper is get some Max Wax thats for the metal teeth.Take the wax and rub it on the zipper use a bit of pressure on the upper and lower teeth,after that is done get a tooth brush and get the wax from out between the teeth,it's not a big deal in the summer but if you dive in the winter you want to get that wax out because the wax can freeze and damage the teeth,2nd get some zip care this is for the rubber the presses together hence thats how you get your seal and put that on your zipper it keeps the rubber nice and moist.Once thats all done open and close the zipper a few times and you are good to go! depending on the seals if their latax you can get some seal saver that helps putting on the suit ans helps preserve the rubber.if their neopreane just your basic wetsuit care will do the trick hope this helps

With regards to waxes.

I'll have to dig into my kit to check on it but there is another wax that I prefer that is like soft beeswax. It's the brand that comes in the bag with a DUI suite if you need to email someone about getting it you could contact Susan Long or someone at DUI I suppose.

It is VERY soft and get in all the nooks and crannys with very little flaking. It also stays soft in colder times eliminating the worry about hardening between the teeth.

If I'm stuck using the hard stuff or in a pinch a white candle or parafin waz stick then the other option is to carefully run a lighter along the zipper and melt it in a bit before running the zipper back and forth enough to work it in well.

Thanks guys.

Too easy.

J

I double the thanks. I bought my suit new just a few months ago and it had no maintenance instructions. I already have dry suit zipper wax ordered so hopefully it will be the soft kind. If not then I know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom