New to action cam shooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So the last couple days I have been walking around taking videos and time lapses of places around my neighbourhood, so far it looks pretty shoddy. To edit I am using Adobe Premier Elements 14 I am just getting a feel for it now.

I haven't been underwater yet with my cam just getting use to shooting on land and keeping it steady and such before my trip. Does much change underwater? And is a selfie stick an ideal thing to go diving with? And if anybody has any tips to get a feel for action cam shooting I would love to hear them as I want my vacay photos and vids to look decent lol

A tray is the optimal thing to go diving with since you can hold it steady with both hands. Action cams being so small are more affected by currents so I'd personally think a selfie-stick is a bad idea for steady shots except if you're shooting something that will spook if you get your body too close. Or something that might sting or bite your hand.

A lot of smaller stuff may regard you as another predator.

But I don't have one so i don't know. I do see a lot of bad u/w footage shot on action cams - mostly it's too jerky due to the housing getting moved around - or seriously annoying when someone mounts the camera on a mask and you see every head movement.

Yea I would think something held in my hand would be ideal or even a wrist mount, there are plenty of videos that you just see bubbles and nothing else really.

Tray & lights. DIY is way cheaper. Mass=stability. Use Divinycell, if needed, so your rig is neutral underwater.

Minimal camera motion. Get as close as you can to the subject, trying to fill the frame. Medium and wide clips are needed too. Get clips of your buddies.

Most clips in the 5 to 8 second range, it's gotta be real interesting to run longer.

Don't use the GoPro super wide setting---too much distortion, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom