New to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone! I have just decided to switch to BP/W due to the convince of changing different parts for different needs. I am, puzzled on how to purchase one. All I know is that it consists of the harness, the backplate and the wing. What do the backplate and wings do? How do I choose them? I am mainly going to dive single tank on back and double tank side mount. Any suggestions on which brand and model to choose? I want a quality rig that will last for years, so I won't mind something under $1000, (preferably made in the U.S.A.). Thanks!

contact Deep Sea Supply, on here as @cool_hardware52 email him with all of the information you have about what tanks you are diving, what exposure suits you wear, what rig you dive now, and how much lead you wear with each configuration. Buy whatever he tells you to buy. Costs about $500USD before shipping and what not. That will cover you for single tank backmount.

If you want to dive sidemount, then I highly recommend getting a dedicated sidemount rig. For that I recommend the Hollis Katana, but I don't believe that's made in the USA. The only ones I know of that are still made here are the Nomad line, but I don't have much love for them right now. I own and dive a Nomad, and it is great for the few things that I need it for *big ass caves dives*, but it's really not ideal.

Combined price will be about $1k and you'll be much happier than trying to get one rig to do it all

Last edited:
Why is it your preference to buy "made in USA"?

@tbone1004 that was your 10,000th post, the majority of which I suspect, were made to help people. Thanks

I'm a little confused. If you are going to dive sidemount doubles then why not just dive sidemount single. I which case you in fact need a sidemount harness and not a BP and Wing.

I'm a little confused. If you are going to dive sidemount doubles then why not just dive sidemount single. I which case you in fact need a sidemount harness and not a BP and Wing.

some situations require or are benefited by backmount. Many of my sidemount diving cohorts disagree with that, but I still much prefer being in backmount for boat diving and teaching

Why is it your preference to buy "made in USA"?

can't speak for OP, but i try to buy made in USA to support jobs for my countrymen.

Dive Rite / DGX is the only company i can think of that proclaims made in USA for their wings and BCDs. Hayclon might as well, but can't confirm that off hand.

can't speak for OP, but i try to buy made in USA to support jobs for my countrymen.

Dive Rite / DGX is the only company i can think of that proclaims made in USA for their wings and BCDs. Hayclon might as well, but can't confirm that off hand.

Deep Sea Supply, Zeagle, and Halcyon are also on that list though they actually do the cut and sew in house. Dive Rite doesn't actually manufacture their soft goods, they're done by another company in NY that has previously OEM'd for other companies like HOG. They do a lot of assembly and all repair in Florida though

Deep Sea Supply, Zeagle, and Halcyon are also on that list though they actually do the cut and sew in house.

that's nice to know! problem was/is none of them confirm, let alone proclaim, it on their sites that i could find.

The op is from China.

Back
Top Bottom