New to DIR, have some questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that I'll go with the FredT plate, seems more versitile and of better quality to me. What is the real difference between the D-Ring and the Billy-Ring? Why would you want one over the other? Thanks. :jester:

Mate, why not just get stuff you are comfortable with, and stop worrying about DIR approval crap, what suit them will not suit you, stop having blinkers on your head, and do only what they say, for @#$% sake it's you going to be wearing this stuff. Just find a backplate that fits your size, get one piece webbing from camping shop, attach D-rings that you need ( don't over do it ), and use a BC that you like ( 55LB ) is more than enough ( if in a wetsuit ) use twin bladder for backup, and there you go. Personally I don't like Bungee wings ( just another snag point ), but don't get huge ones either. Simple.

Samir - I'm not just blindly following what DIR is suggesting, I know better. Their system and reasoning makes sense for the type of diving I do and want to do. I'm still reading and doing research on their ideas, and am still deciding on what to do. I currently have a ScubaPro X-Tec BC. While I don't really have any specific complaints, I think that by going DIR I can come up with a much better rig for a lot less money. If I didn't think that DIR was a ligitimate system, I would totally dismiss it. When I first learned about DIR, I thought it was just some group of Scuba Nazis. Upon closer inspection, I've found it to be solid idea, and much better than my current setup. When I finially order my setup, I'll put DIR to the test and see what the hype is all about. If it performs better than my previous rig, and improves my efficiency and safety, then it was defiently worth the effort. I still have couple of questions that I'll post tomorrow. Thanks all.

Just because they know what they are doing and have been diving and refining their gear setup for a long time doesn't mean you should listen to them. By all mean, take the "blinkers" (what ever that is) off your head and go get what ever gear you think looks cool, heck get it at the freakin camping section of walmart, yeah, that’s what I am going to do, I am going to get my webbing at walmart, and use a dual bladder oms wing, and 10 or 12 D-rings, you know I have been looking alot of pictures on-line and I bet I could make a killer backplate out of cardboard, it wouldn't be "DIR approved" but hey who cares right.

Burke - Will you make me a cardboard plate too? 30 D-Rings would be better! LOL :D

I am going to get my webbing at walmart

While I probably wouldn't buy webbing at walmart (do they even sell it?) I do buy it at my local camping store. They happen to sell it by the metre in the climbing section. Along with bungee cord, dynamic nylon rope and static nylon rope.

There is nothing magical about it, and it comes in all sorts of colourse, shapes and sizes. Most importantly it dousn't cost very much.

EZ,

Regarding the Billyrings........

Most "do it yourself" harness instructions advise using a keeper and a SEPARATE D ring as shown in this link. This picture is actually a picture of a crotch strap -- but same concept.

http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/images/kit/Harness/crotch1.jpg

Many folks use D rings on the chest straps that are bent upward to enable you to hook them easier with a bolt snap underwater.

Fred's billy rings are one piece -- D ring connected to a keeper (go back and look at the FredT product link I posted above). He has 2 main types of billy rings. Those used for the chest -- the D ring is at a 45 degree angle from the keeper....resulting in the same effect as the bent D rings mentioned above. For the left waist billy ring -- the D ring is bent at a 90 degree angle. This enables easier clipping/unclipping of the SPG, since the D ring is sticking stright up from your belt.

The advantage is that these billy rings are easier to "hit" underwater, especially if wearing thick gloves. Since they are one piece, the rings stay as is and don't "flop over". Some folks will argue that they are more of an entanglement hazard, since the billy rings are "fixed" vs. the more movable separate ring/keeper combo. Again -- I think this may depend on the type of diving you do. For penetration into narrow spaces....probably a vaild concern. For OW......IMHO, not a big deal.

I have billy rings on my harness now. I am taking a DIR Fundamentals course in August and I plan to leave them on if for nothing else than to spur a constructive conversation about these vs. the separate ring/keeper set-up ;-)

One more thing -- a complete BP/wing set-up may not be a huge savings over a jacket BC, depending on what you buy.

Hope this is helpful.

dlarbale,

The items pictured just above the SS buckles are the 2 piece "light" STA. These are held to the BP with the bolts that run through the wing.

Envision the plate sitting flat on the ground with the side that would be closest to your back facing the ground. If you look at the 2 piece STA, you'll notice it looks like an elongated "M" or "W". With the BP in this position, the STA pieces are attached to the plate in the "W" position. Your tank then sits in these 2 "W's".

As for the tank straps -- they run through the STA only

Check out this "BP for Beginners" report from scubadiving.com. The BP in these pictures is a FredT....great pictures of how the STA sits on the BP and the routing of the cam straps.

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=436

Enjoy!

Large_Diver - Thanks for the link. Seeing the STA assembled was helpful.

One other thing to note about the STAs......this is a metal surface being pressed against your tank. If you have painted tanks -- lots of scuffing. I bought a $7.00 can of vinyl tool dip at my local hardware store and am going to try and coat at least the ends of the STA with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom