New to DIR, have some questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by dlarbale
All (esp FredT),

Just a few quick questions on the plate shown at the link given in previous post:

1) What are the slots at the top (centre) of the plate for?

The shoulder straps can be routed through these slots, when combined with the "normal" plate slots a total of 6 different ways. This allows for better fit for those with wider or narrower necks and shoulders, and for better shoulder strap clearance for ladies with larger breasts. The lower slots work the same as all plates.

2) When you rig the STA to the BP do the tank straps go
through both the STA and the BP (does it really matter?).

When using a STA the strap generally goes through the STA, Not the plate. The "W" STA I make can be used either way, but it makes more sense to tie it to the STA when changing tanks on a rolling boat.

3) Envisage 2 STA's without the centre dip, now place an
eyelet bolt between 2 STA's with necessary washers - this
can now be used for twins - is the dip really necessary,
pressume it just sits the tank closer to the BP (single tank).

The reason I'm asking is I have a BP and I've been playing around with various configurations. From my basic knowledge and experience I've concluded that a BP with flat STA could be used for single cylinders and an additional flat STA with eyelet bolts and washers could convert this to a flexible twin setup (no manifold but alot more user friendly).

I've tried the flat twin STA's with eyelet bolts but haven't tried the flat STA with just a single cylinder and have never used any other setup.

So is my logic flawed? You guys are the experts so be gentle!

Thanks - Dave.

The easiest way I can think of for mounting independent twins is to use a couple 3/8" or 10mm staple bolts mounted in the ridge of the plate, then route the tank straps through the staples. The tanks will make up tight to the plate and each other, and the cost is single digit dollars.

FT

DIY = Do it yourself.

All webbing is NOT created equal.... there's stiff webbing and there's soft webbing.

If you decide to build your own harness (or even if you get it from someone else) make sure you get the stiffer webbing.

I have now put together 3 backplates and the stiffer webbing is much harder to rig originally but I much prefer it over the soft stuff once the rig is together. The main problem with the soft stuff is that it is a beotch to put on and doesn't hold it's shape.

Just something I learned from experience... anyone need any limp webbing?? :eek:

All,

Thanks for answering the questions regarding BackPlates.

Not too sure I understand what Freds saying with the independant twins and Staple bolts (are these U bolts?). If they are U bolts then wouldn't the cylinders move back and forward (towards the BP) and would both the straps (one form left, one from right) fit onto the U bolt?

Anyone feel like submitting a sketch to clear this up?

Thanks - Dave.

**Just because they know what they are doing and have been diving and refining their gear setup for a
long time doesn't mean you should listen to them. By all mean, take the "blinkers" (what ever that is)
off your head and go get what ever gear you think looks cool, heck get it at the freakin camping
section of walmart, yeah, that’s what I am going to do, I am going to get my webbing at walmart,
and use a dual bladder oms wing, and 10 or 12 D-rings, you know I have been looking alot of pictures
on-line and I bet I could make a killer backplate out of cardboard, it wouldn't be "DIR approved" but
hey who cares right.**

Oh Ok , so unless it has Halcyon writen on it, you scared that JJ might not like you anymore. For @#$% sake, read you bloody post again, and pull you head out of @#$. what the hell is wrong with webbing from a camping store? they use the same stuff anyway.
As I always say and say it again, DIR have good Ideas, nothing worng with their setup, but it doesn't mean you have to use everything they say you have to use!! DIR is to techdiving as PADI is to recreational diving.
If you have money to waste go a head, but if you are wise with it, then why not do the smart way. A dive shop will charge twice the amount on a harness that otherwise you can get for much less through getting the parts outside dive stores.

Another thought is getting a transpac harness, and it is great for travelling , and using for side mounting. Backplates are a pain when travelling.

If it's the same exact stuff, you would be crazy to pay more...can't find webbing at the camping stores here though.

I personally don't care what brand I end up with as long as it is of good quality and fits my needs. No one manufacturer makes the best of everything.

Did I piss of Samir, I am freakin heart broken.
Just to clear things up, I am not DIR, I don't own 1 single piece of gear from Halcyon, and I have never meet JJ. However, I have learned alot sense getting my OW cert. and as soon as I am no longer a poor college student, I am going to be getting a complete new gear setup, and guess what? I am going to go with something that has been tested by some of the best, in some of the worst places, and found to work well. Sure I could go to REI and get my webbing but as someone already pointed out it would probably not be the right stiffness, but hey, if I can find the exact right thing somewhere for a good price I might go that route. Although I am going to be wanting to get my gear from whichever lds I get my more advanced training from, atleast to start with.

Originally posted by WYDT
Just something I learned from experience... anyone need any limp webbing?? :eek:

LOL. Yeah, I learned the same lesson. Anyone want about 60 feet of soft webbing?

originally posted by large_diver
I used FredT's harness kit and didn't find it difficult to rig at least from a "webbing stiffness" standpoint......

It is not difficult to rig up with a stiff webbing, however, if you tried it with a soft webbing, you would understand what he is talking about. Rigging with soft webbing is easier then lacingup your shoes.

James,

You are correct -- I guess I didn't know what I was "missing" since Fred's webbing is stiffer and this is the only harness I've ever put together......;-)

***Did I piss of Samir, I am freakin heart broken.***

Not at all, that dosen't piss me off, what I hate is seeing people getting sucked into this hole by people that think they are better than everyone else. I'm sure you guys don't worship JJ, but there is people out that think he is the one. sad really. Any way.

I agree regarding webbing, don't use the soft stuff, the stiffer webbing will keep it's shape, and sit better on you shoulders. also when wearing stages, the harness will be able to stay on your shoulder and not hang down.

Cheers,
Samir

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom