New to diving, my problems.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mithu

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Friends,
I am new to diving, did my OW course recently.I faced a few problems during my dives.
My problems:
1) Claustrophobia
2) Fear of situation getting out of my control ..ie breathing apparatus , mask leaking etc.
3) I was hugely dependent on the instructor , if I could not see the instructor around , I was feeling un comfortable.

Please advice .
Mithu

I suspect many of us felt uncomfortable during our class, if we couldn't see our instructor. In fact, I felt uncomfortable for quite a while afterwards, if I wasn't diving with an instructor or other experienced or professional diver. Diving is pretty new and different; I think it's natural to want some reassurance while doing it in the beginning.

The fear of losing control isn't irrational. But it can be appeased by taking all the control you can -- learn to check your equipment before you dive, and have a dive plan. If your mask leaks, play with the strap adjustment, and if that doesn't fix things, replace the mask. But you should, by the end of your class, be able to cope with a leaking mask. If you can't, go back to the pool and spend some time doing mask skills, until you are comfortable with them.

Claustrophobia I can't help you with. I never felt claustrophobic during my class, or during any of my diving. Perhaps there are other folks who can give you tips there.

It would seem that OW certified, or not you are not yet truly ready to dive. Just having a card does not mean you are prepared to dive safely, and hopefully if you really do wish to become a safe diver you can get more experience under your belt by diving under the supervision of a competent Instructor or DM until you are more experienced, and more confident and calm.

True claustrophobia, and related panic can be a killer under the water.

Thanks for your advice guys.I think I need more and more dives :)

The more dives you do .the more comfortable you will feel .get used to your equipment and practice your skills .mask clearing as said above and buoyancy control amongst others . if you are not comfortable try it in a pool.or a shore dive at a depth you are comfortable .its all about building confidence .i think the claustrophobia is anxiety based and will come good when you are more comfortable in the water.also tell your instructor about the problems you are facing i am sure he will only be too happy to help. i think it is a good thing you have identified what you have to work on.!! it shows you are a thinker.an essential quality for a safe diver, .there are students out there that have no fear and no experience they try to run before they can walk. believe me they are the dangerous ones . keep plugging away and you will get there.

Someday you may take a Rescue Diver course, which can be quite helpful. I used to think Rescue Diver was for people who wanted to be amateur lifeguards for other people (kind of like taking a CPR class), but was pleasantly surprised to find there's more to it. It teaches a 'mentality' to force yourself to stop, think & consciously decide what to do when confronted with a problem, rather than react instinctively (which can involve panic).

It's believed panic has killed quite a number of people who didn't 'need' to die, in that their problems could've been worked through with a cool head (in the context of diving).

Some of the instinctive 'fight or flight' reactions designed to aid survival on land are counter-productive underwater.

Dive within your experience, competence and comfort level (those aren't always the same thing!). Ask yourself what you fear about diving, and work to master the skills to cope with it. Is it losing your mask? Learn to handle being maskless underwater. Is it your regulator shutting down or free-flowing, or the 2'nd stage falling off the hose (happened to a buddy once, at the surface)? Learn to breathe off a free-flowing reg., switch to your alternate air source (likely an Octopus), and practice good buddy skills so you've got a reasonable confidence help is available.

Nasty surprises happen while diving. A 2'nd stage falls off. A reg. free flows. You giant stride in off a boat & realize you forgot to turn your tank valve on and you can't get air through your reg. Or jump in without your mask in place. None of these things needs to seriously hurt you, but a panic reaction to any of them can.

Richard.

Was your instructor aware of all of this? If so they should have spent more time with you and not certified you until the issues were resolved. If you are unable to plan, execute, and safely return from a dive with a buddy of similar training and experience you did not meet the goals of the OW course as stated by the RSTC or WRSTC. Signatories to that agree to abide by those guidelines for issuing an OW cert. We all know that is not the case in many instances.

But it does not take away from the fact that that the issues you are having are more than just being uncomfortable.

That being the case issuing you an OW cert was not in your best interests in my opinion. I would have gone back to the pool and spent more time with you getting you comfortable and then if necessary required more OW dives before issuing you a card. That would have been the right thing to do by way of standards and guidelines..

As well as morally and ethically more appropriate.

And by the way, nowhere in the WRSTC standards does it state those dives have to be in conditions equal to or better than those in which you trained. You should have the judgment to decide if conditions are favorable to do the dives. If not, again, the guidelines were not met. The conditions thing is an excuse used to justify training that is less than complete

It's a new world---cold, dark, and unfamiliar. What you are feeling is what nature, evolution, God---or some combination thereof---designed you to feel so you can live to see another day.

The cure is to do it more, with whatever support you need (buddy, instructor, etc.) till you are comfortable and confident you can dive happily and safely.

Take your time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom