New to diving, question about fins and cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, why are people saying jets and the like are no good for new divers/first fins? Cheers.

It would almost have to be due to people feeling like it is not important to learn proper kick stroke in the open water phase of instruction....If kick shape and mechanics were taught then, the only issue would be the speed of kick turnover--the divers with weak legs use a slower kick turnover--the stronger ones "can" use a faster turnover.....with the correct kick shape and mechanics, no one should be too weak to use jets if they are not handicapped.
However, I will add that I think that some of the Force fins now available, are much better choices...the Excellerating Force fin is spectacular for advanced divers, tech divers, and strong divers--but can also be used by weak divers....and the Original Force fin as a much better way for a diver without a lot of leg power, to be able to deal well with currents or keeping up with fast buddies or groups.

It would almost have to be due to people feeling like it is not important to learn proper kick stroke in the open water phase of instruction....If kick shape and mechanics were taught then, the only issue would be the speed of kick turnover--the divers with weak legs use a slower kick turnover--the stronger ones "can" use a faster turnover.....with the correct kick shape and mechanics, no one should be too weak to use jets if they are not handicapped.
However, I will add that I think that some of the Force fins now available, are much better choices...the Excellerating Force fin is spectacular for advanced divers, tech divers, and strong divers--but can also be used by weak divers....and the Original Force fin as a much better way for a diver without a lot of leg power, to be able to deal well with currents or keeping up with fast buddies or groups.

Cheers for the reply.

Jet fins and Hollis F1s are all wrong for a new diver,

In Florida, where one might be diving in very warm water with a thin wetsuit, you might be right. The OP is talking about diving in California, where the water is cold. He will need a thick wetsuit or dry suit, and one of the problems that comes with that is floaty legs. A LOT of cold water divers use negative fins to avoid having to use ankle weights to balance themselves in the water. They do require a bit more leg strength than some of the floppy or split fins, but they are also cheaper than splits or fancy designs like Slingshots or Novas, they will last a diving lifetime, and they will permit fine maneuvering, if the OP decides to hone his skills to that point.

Jets can be found on E-bay all the time; I have seen a set go for $25.

If I started shooting video of the kick shape and mechanics of most new open water divers, aside from it looking like a blooper reel on TV, it would illustrate why the issue is not about what is the best fin..but rather what will work with one horrifically incorrect kick style, or another.

As TSandM said, F-1s are great fins for California diving, for beginners or old pros.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,

Sorry to slightly hijack your thread but I am looking at buying my first pair of fins as well. I am looking for something that I can use for diving primarily but will work ok for snorkelling, I am also looking at open heel fins so I can wear them with wetsuit booties for cooler water diving or neoprene socks for warm water dives. Would be good if they weren't too big as I will be taking them travelling with me.

Any reccomendations?

Dan

Hi,

Sorry to slightly hijack your thread but I am looking at buying my first pair of fins as well. I am looking for something that I can use for diving primarily but will work ok for snorkelling, I am also looking at open heel fins so I can wear them with wetsuit booties for cooler water diving or neoprene socks for warm water dives. Would be good if they weren't too big as I will be taking them travelling with me.

Any reccomendations?

Dan

The best...without question and easy to prove.... DiveR Composite Freedive fins, with the Riffe Silent Hunter open heel pockets ( you buy the blades, and you buy the foot pockets. There are three stiffnesses available so that you can match your strength or desired muscle exertion per kick. Softest are for all day long diving....stiffest are for hour or so long deep drop freediving, or for scuba diver with lots of cycling background for the muscle development it provides..
Scuba diving, you will get push much farther per kick, and if you use slick bp/wing system for BC, you can then glide up to 7 feet or so between kicks....they frog kick with such a great kick and glide, that you would actually be able to frog kick faster than most jet fin wearing divers would comfortably be able to flutter kick ( and jets are exponentially better than splits).

The best costs....this would be around $400 plus the foot pockets if memory serves.... If you were visiting Palm Beach, I have an extra pair I let people try, as well as also loaning out a pair of Excellerating Force Fins, Hollis F1's, and a pair of Jet fins.... I don't sell fins, I dont have a shop... I get ticked off by the print rags and the bogus testing, proclaiming the worst fins in the world the best--because they spent the most on advertising.

The best...without question and easy to prove.... DiveR Composite Freedive fins, with the Riffe Silent Hunter open heel pockets ( you buy the blades, and you buy the foot pockets. There are three stiffnesses available so that you can match your strength or desired muscle exertion per kick. Softest are for all day long diving....stiffest are for hour or so long deep drop freediving, or for scuba diver with lots of cycling background for the muscle development it provides..
Scuba diving, you will get push much farther per kick, and if you use slick bp/wing system for BC, you can then glide up to 7 feet or so between kicks....they frog kick with such a great kick and glide, that you would actually be able to frog kick faster than most jet fin wearing divers would comfortably be able to flutter kick ( and jets are exponentially better than splits).

The best costs....this would be around $400 plus the foot pockets if memory serves.... If you were visiting Palm Beach, I have an extra pair I let people try, as well as also loaning out a pair of Excellerating Force Fins, Hollis F1's, and a pair of Jet fins.... I don't sell fins, I dont have a shop... I get ticked off by the print rags and the bogus testing, proclaiming the worst fins in the world the best--because they spent the most on advertising.

They do sound very good, however being a student I can't really afford that cost! I am looking for something no more than £100 (not sure what the exchange rate is like but i guess it would be somewhere under $200)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom