new to scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankjr70

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I let my son talk me into getting certified . I thought it was a great choice, 20 dives later i think i am holding him back or boring him. I still love diving and can't wait for the next chance to get wet.

Very similar story to the start of my scuba certification, except the roles are reversed. I talked my dad into getting certified, and ever since we hit the water he has been "holding me back". I assume that you mean your air consumption/ comfortability in the water are inferior to that of your sons. That is very natural, kids are smaller and thus use less air than their parents, but he is also less nervous in the water than you are. This is because he doesn't care about you as much as you care about him and his well being (This is purely based off my experiences so I could be wrong. However, this is very uniform among kids). You are nervous in the water and always wondering about the what if's of diving and when you do your air consumption increases. This is normal, a parent should be worried about their kid, especially during a possibly deadly sport. He should have more air than you at the end of a dive, that's something he is just going to have to live with. It is also likely that you will improve more than he does because the nerves will subside after more experience.

If you feel like you are boring him with your conservative profiles it could be the case, but all kids have that adventurous side of them that wants to push the limits. DO NOT let him get carried away and dive a dive which he is clearly not trained for. If he is younger than 15 he is considered a Junior diver (like I am) and thus should not dive deeper than 60 feet. However, the rule is as flexible as you want to make it. Depending on where you are diving, a boring dive might be inevitable because of you air consumption and skill. In my local lake a multiple dives in the less than 30 ft range gets boring quickly. So after we felt comfortable diving to 60ft regularly we did and diving became more interesting. However ,diving in the Caribbean is never boring at any depth.

Diving is and addictive sport and I'm glad you are liking it. You will have some unforgettable moments with your son underwater. Good luck in the inevitable air consumption competition that will ensue :wink:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom