New to tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LakerPride

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As a matter of fact I am still in the research phase. I live about as far north in Michigan as I can get and I am surrounded by wrecks some are fairly deep and all are in cold water so I am looking into Dry suits and more technical diving. As you can all see I only have about 30 logged dives, I have a few more that I haven't logged but still short of 40. Anyway are any of you familiar with the Whitefish Point Underwater Preserve and its wrecks? They lie between 20-270'

I am looking for tips on an entry level dry suit for recreational use. I have no clue what to look for.

Also do any of you know where I can get instruction near Sault Ste Marie, either on the canadian side or the american. Thanks

If you are really hooked on diving, don't buy entry level stuff. You will probably be going tech before you know and then have to buy different gear and relearn everything. Check this page out Gear Config. This works for Recreational and Technical, single and double tanks. Setting up the first time correctly will save you a ton of money.

Check out the trilams (DUI or Santi) and get a p-valve installed.

Search this board. There is a ton of info.
Hopefully you will find a quality instructor in your area or check if there are any GUE/UTD divers/instructors in your area.

OP -- with less than 40 dives don't even begin to contemplate "technical" diving. One of the best instructors I had said this:

Dive until you are bored with the type of diving you are doing, then go take a class to get to the next level.

At 40 dives, you have a LOT of diving to do before it gets "boring."

Dry suits come in a variety of flavors.

You have full neoprene suits. They are cheap and warm, but like all neoprene exposure protection, they have significant impacts on buoyancy, they lose insulation at depth (not a good thing for technical divers!) and they have a lifetime of compression/rebound cycles.

You have laminate suits, both bilam and trilam. Trilaminate suits are more durable but they are also more expensive. Laminate suits have no stretch, so they MUST be cut generously enough to permit adequate mobility, to reach valves or rotate bottles, or reach butt d-rings for items which have been stored there. Excessively generous laminate suits, however, air-trap and can complicate buoyancy. Perfect fit for some people is only achieved with custom cuts, which brings you into the upper tier of prices.

Compressed neoprene suits are a bit warmer and are extremely hard to damage (which is good for people who want to penetrate wrecks) but they are heavier, dry more slowly, and are expensive. DUI makes a hybrid suit, the 50/50, which has trilam on the upper body and crushed neoprene on the lower body. Like all DUI suits, it's expensive.

There are a number of suits that don't fit neatly into the categories above. Bare's SB stretch is one, but it has only one on-seam pocket, and it is difficult to put another pocket on (and I wouldn't want to be pulling gear I really needed out of that on-seam one). The Whites Fusion is another, with an inner, oversized bag compressed by a lightly elastic outer skin. The suits are durable and light, and dry easily, but they are not as easy to get in and out of as some other suits, and some people dislike them because they are funny-looking.

You have to figure out what your budget is, and if you are going to have to cut costs, do it with the suit, and not the undergarments. Diving undergarments HAVE to perform when wet; you do not want to be sitting looking at a thirty minute deco obligation in a flooded suit in sub-40 degree water, with an undergarment that isn't warm when it is wet. There is a reason why diving undergarments are spendy, and a good one is absolutely worth it.

Research a quality technical instructor and sit down with him or her map out your goals. From training to gear they have the answers your looking for.

That is definitely where I am at right now, the research stage. I have a lot to learn I know that, but I am in a place that is surrounded by the best wreck dives you can find at reasonable depth. I will progress to more tech diving but right now I want to make my Rec dives more comfortable and progress toward more complex dives. That's why the interest in the dry suits. I have only ever dove once in Lake Michigan and froze my butt off with a 7mm wetsuit, won't do that again.

I wish I could find a good instructor near me, cause I am ready to start.

There are a lot of hard core divers in your neck of the woods that would love to show someone the ropes. Not only will they show you what you need for that kind of diving, they have boats and need buddies..... They also upgrade equipment, which depending on size could be a windfall for you. I found my mentor on the ski slopes, not only did he show me all the cool wrecks of the straights. he convinced me to buy an old drysuit of his and a set of double 72's from his friend. (sweet deals)

And hang out in the Great Lakes Wreckers Forum...... subforum of midwest US

and read....

There's a ton of great tech books out there. You've got a long wait before you're ready to start the practical training, but that shouldn't stop you increasing your knowledge of the issues.

Here's a selection, that gives a broad coverage of issues and viewpoints. Add to this list any agency training manuals (TDI, IANTD, ANDI, TecRec, UTD, GUE etc) for technical diving that you can find on Ebay etc..

Technical Diving From the Bottom Up by Kevin Gurr

Deco for Divers: Decompression Theory and Physiology by Mark Powell

Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile

Introduction to Technical Diving by Rob Palmer

Essentials of Deeper Sport Diving by John Lippmann

Diving in Darkness: Beneath Rock, Under Ice, into Wrecks by Martyn Farr

UTD Student and Diver Procedure Manual by Andrew Georgitsis

Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving by Jarrod Jablonski

Mixed Gas Diving: The Ultimate Challenge for Technical Diving by Tom Mount

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley

The Essentials of Cave Diving: Jill Heinerth's Guide to Cave Diving by Jill Heinerth

The Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths by Bernie Chowdhury

The Cave Divers by Robert F. Burgess

Diving Physics with Bubble Mechanics and Decompression Theory in Depth by Bruce R Wienke

Basic Decompression Theory and Application 3rd Edition by Bruce R. Wienke

Advanced Wreck Diving Guide by Gary Gentile

Shipwreck Hunter: Deep, Dark & Deadly in the Great Lakes by Gerry Volgenau

Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival by Phillip Finch

Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria by Kevin F. McMurray

Recreational Trimix Diving [Kindle Edition] by Kevin Evans

Technical Diving in Depth by Bruce R. Wienke

Fatally Flawed - The Quest to be Deepest by Verna van Schaik

DIR Rebreather: Nitrox Rebreather Diving by Cedric Verdier

Once you've done a little reading and gotten comfortable in the water, then you can start preparing the foundations for technical training. That means applying precision dive planning, situational awareness, gas management and fine-tuned buoyancy, trim and propulsion to all your dives. Whilst you're waiting, you might consider a GUE Fundamentals course, or maybe an 'Intro To Tech' (available from most agencies).

I can't being to state how important experience and competence are in respect of technical diving training. Equipment needs to be like a second-skin. Core skills need to be ingrained to the point of thoughtless instinct. Mindset has to be serious, conservative and open-minded.

The time to realise your deficiencies isn't on day #1 of tech course (having spent $000's on the training and equipment). :wink:

I will progress to more tech diving but right now I want to make my Rec dives more comfortable and progress toward more complex dives. That's why the interest in the dry suits. I have only ever dove once in Lake Michigan and froze my butt off with a 7mm wetsuit, won't do that again.
Don't blame you for looking at a drysuit. I will dive a 3mm only down to 75 degrees, a 5mm down to maybe 65 dgrees, and a drysuit for everything else. I bought a custom-fit trilam drysuit less than a year after I started diving (my first DS dive was #31), and have never regretted the choice - it is the best scuba equipment purchase I have made. So, yes, I probably spent more money up front that I 'had to', but it has served me well for 10 years, and I plan to get another 10 out of it. I use it for recreational diving and technical diving. My suit happens to be a Diving Concepts suit (http://www.divingconcepts.com/index.htm), but a number of other brands (DUI, Whites, etc) also offer very good suits. If you can find a used (therefore less expensive) suit, THAT FITS YOU, fantastic. I bought new because a) I am in an area where there aren't enough drysuit divers to support an extensive used maket, b) I wanted to dive dry sooner, not think about for 3 years uintil I found a suit; and c) I wanted to be sure what I got fit me. A trilam suit, for me, represented the best combination of durability, limited impact on bouyancy, versatility (ability to adjust my undergarment to suit the ambient temperature), and physical flexibility. Results for others may differ. :)

As for technical diving and training, you are in an area where there are a lot of wrecks to dive. Once you have a drysuit, you can dive more often, more comfortably, and the next logical step is to make certain that a) your rig is appropriate to support you in diving those wrecks, b) our skillset continues to develop to support your proper use of that rig, and c) your mindset allows you to use the equipment and procedures wisely and safely, as you progress toward more complex (deeper, longer, more challenging) dives. 'Technical' training does not have to mean a diver jumps right into double cylinders, or into a trimix class to go to 270'. Rather, it helps a diver develop better dive planning skills, develop the right mindset for progressing as a diver, and possibly accelerates their learning regarding the kind of gear rig needed to progress. Those are useful skills for any recreational diver. (In fact, that is why I pursued tech training - to simply become a better diver, not necessarily to dive to 200ft.) Pursuing tech training does not bypass the need to develop optimal bouyancy / trim control, effective propulsion techniques, etc. In fact, it adds to the importance of that development. I didn't make my first doubles dive until #194, but I started using a 40 cf pony bottle (and practicing gas switches) around #75, and moved to a long hose / bungeed necklace (and BP/W) before that. So, maybe I have a skewed view, that is not appropriate. But, I now have some trouble with the dividing line between technical and recreational diving, at least in terms of training. Many of the things I learned in 'technical' training allowed me to become a better recreational diver. So, good for you for thinking about it. And, I hope some of the other posts lead you to a good instructor in your area.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom