new to underwater hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recomend you heading over to a board that has a larger spearfishing section and reading up (such as the one in my signature below). Hunting ethics are always a hot topic. Gonetobaja's DVD would be an excellent start, leaving your scuba gear at home would be a major step in the right direction. learn to hunt ethically, do it freediving. Good luch and welcome to the fold

Amphibious:
"leaving your scuba gear at home would be a major step in the right direction. learn to hunt ethically, do it freediving."

Amphibious,

I respect your right to express your opinion about spearfishing, just not where you are doing it. That kind of comment belongs over on Deeperblue or the Freedivelist.

I don't care to open up this can of worms, but making a post on ScubaBoard implying that scuba spearfishing is unethical in the US, is clearly out of line here.

Chad Carney (Avid spearfisherman, freediver and scuba diver.)

I'm a scuba diver too, I just won;t hunt that way. US & Canada are one of the few countires that still alow spearing on scuba, so it is very legal and so it's up to the diver to make up his mind. personally i find it totally unethical. as you have put forth your opinion, I have put forth mine.'

I just feel that freedive spearfishing is a far greater challenge and more rewarding to the hunter.

Amphibious:
I'm a scuba diver too, I just won;t hunt that way. US & Canada are one of the few countires that still alow spearing on scuba, so it is very legal and so it's up to the diver to make up his mind. personally i find it totally unethical. as you have put forth your opinion, I have put forth mine.'

I just feel that freedive spearfishing is a far greater challenge and more rewarding to the hunter.

In some wayes it is MORE challenging on Scuba, Think about it.. Free diving Most divers have a reel, shoot a fish then go to the surface sometimes even get on a boat.

Amphibious:

This is bad ground to get into. A similar argument could be made about terrestrial hunting with archery versus rifle. Both styles have their advantages and disadvantages. Neither should disrespect the other for choosing a different style (not saying anyone did) So lets stick to the topic and help out a newbie.

New piece of advice, don't get caught up in the hype of who is better than who, it will only lead to you being disliked and in hunting, you want everyone to like you, thats how you find new hot spots. The hunting community is a huge family, yes we do have our disfunctional family members but for the most part I think you will find the majority to be quite agreeable, its those with a better than though attitude that ruin it for others. If you want to make friends you will want to learn to share your good spots with others (actions are reciprocated by good sportsmen), be agreeable and smile while others brag about their big catch and be humble about your own successes. Good Luck and fun hunting, if you were in california, i would show you some good spots and take you out.

Amphibious:
personally i find it totally unethical.

Amphibious, you just had to go there didn't you?

Freediving or scuba diving can both be very challenging and rewarding. Running 75 to 100 miles offshore, and diving 150 to 250 feet on scuba, to shoot 50 to 100 lbs spooky groupers or snappers with freeshafts, is no less sporting than freediving to 1/3 the depth for the same species of 1/5 to 1/4 the size. That's the way it is in most of the US.

There are countries that would say your method of spearfishing with a high powered line gun is unethical to them, ie. the Bahamas, where you can't legally use any triggered device. It's their country so their rules apply, and I'm inclined to respect them.

In a country where the sport is both legal and practiced conscientiously by the majority, there is no call to preach that scuba spearing is "totally unethical."

Any freediver worth a damn knows that there are many times and places where he has the advantage over a scuba diver. A freediver could and many do spearfish without good conscience, just as some scuba divers can make bad examples.

If you must condescend to someone, spend your time finding offenders of good sportsmanship and rag on them... but bubbles will not be the indicator!

We both have a lot in common, besides a desire for hunting while freediving, we're both instructors and tech divers too. I'll bet we'd get along fine, like I have come to know many other freedivers. Not asking you to change your method, practice whatever technique you prefer, just lighten up on scuba spearos.

Chad
TDI/SDI IT 250

Alrighty Chad, point taken. I come across a little to harsh sometimes. I was a scuba hunter before I was a freedive hunter. many have tried to convince me of the merits of scuba hunting but it always ends up sounding like cheating to me. maybe one day someone will say something that clicks. As for now I'll stick to me snorkle only trends :D Chasing ling cod in cold dark water at 90ft on a single breath is like heaven to me :07: As I am quite a newbie to the site I will try harder to respect the "local" beliefs. when in rome.... my apologies :cheers:

Amphib,

I know I can get overzealous in defense as well; glad to get past it.

Man you can keep that cold dark ling cod chasing! Heaven?...I'd be cold as Hell!

I'd be more interested in hearing about your years in Saudi, if they included diving and shooting fish! How about it?

Chad

Starting off with a pole spear is an excellent way to get the knack of stalking down; for freshwater that's all I use, mainly because the viz isn't much better than that anyway & "reloading" is way faster.
A small float sometimes helps, some areas I'd use a little rubber raft & tow it along behind me.
Exhaust bubbles tend to scare the fish away too, so you may also want to take that into consideration while stalking. :wink:
Don't forget the mudbugs/crawdads... freshwater areas are sometimes infested with the O. Rusticus, a good snacking bug.
If you need sources for liquid & dry spices you won't find any better than REX & they even ship for free. http://www.rexfoods.com/

Bob3:
Starting off with a pole spear is an excellent way to get the knack of stalking down; for freshwater that's all I use, mainly because the viz isn't much better than that anyway & "reloading" is way faster.

Excellent advice! 90% of the time it's pole spear for me too (in fresh water) but i still use one quite a bit in the salt - it's an excellentway to teach stalking practices and keep your edge. Used a JBL tavel pole spear for years, and as soon as I can find another one I'll be packing that too. great for perch in the weeds and flouder in the shallows.

A set of Bob3's Endurotech gloves are amazing when you start getting into the spiny critters, have been using a set from him for a little over a year now :D

Chad - what would you like to know? :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom