New truck needs new tank holder..going home made any ideas??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will lay my tanks horizontal behind the passenger seat on the floor. I then put a towel or two around them and move the seat back so as to wedge them tight. No rolling or clanking goes on. My vehicle is a F250 SD extended cab and the area behind the driver and passenger is my dive locker. Secure and during the winter keeps my gear warm during transport.

Reactions: D_B
the whole point of removing the seats is that i have had four rangers over the years and have not had a pasenger in the back seats sense high school lol if i go anywhere i have one pasenger at the most so taking the seats out actualy makes more room for gear... note that the back seats in a ranger sit sideways and fold down from the back so they are not very useable any how. and as long as i make it secure then im not adding any risk of flying objects in the cab lol and by secure im talking hardened bolts and heavy duty straps or bands "think firefighter SCBA SCOTT pack " there mounted IN the seat of fire trucks and when locked in place are very safe. and just so im being honest im doing this mod to my brand new truck for the "wow that looks bad ass" factor. other wise i would just lay them down in the bed and strap them in.

With that in mind then I say go for it. I was kind of blown away when you said "New Ford Ranger" as I have been hearing talks of how they are killing it off since sales were so low and due to the fact that you can get a V6 F-150 for the same price. I'll stay subscribed to the thread as I am interested in whatever bling you dream up for this project.

Best,

Tejas

the whole point of removing the seats is that i have had four rangers over the years and have not had a pasenger in the back seats sense high school lol if i go anywhere i have one pasenger at the most so taking the seats out actualy makes more room for gear... note that the back seats in a ranger sit sideways and fold down from the back so they are not very useable any how. and as long as i make it secure then im not adding any risk of flying objects in the cab lol and by secure im talking hardened bolts and heavy duty straps or bands "think firefighter SCBA SCOTT pack " there mounted IN the seat of fire trucks and when locked in place are very safe. and just so im being honest im doing this mod to my brand new truck for the "wow that looks bad ass" factor. other wise i would just lay them down in the bed and strap them in.

tejasmtb you are right that u can get a 150 with a v6 and its got a turbo to boot lol but it also starts at 42,000. and i simply have more truck then i need with the one i bought. i will try to start this project within the next couple weeks and will post pictures of the befor and after when i get done. i have been talking with the guys in my shop and at the my fire station and have a good plan in place. ....step one remove seats!:D step two fab. a 1/4 inch thick steal or alu. plate with 3 inch tall /8 inch ID pipe welded two it and bolt in where seats used to be. step 3 buy a nylon tank strap with locking cam buckle and bolt in behind uper half of each tank. step 4 place tank in new kick ass tank holder and take lots of pictures... total cost should be about 100 bucks. or less jsut have to buy tank straps

I've tried several options, but these work best. They don't move in the bed at all. Save the back seats for dry gear.

What thickness, diameter and length of PVC did you use, and how much space in between each piece?

They're neoprene foam tubes, available at most dive shops. You could also use the long foam pool toys. Adjustment is as easy as moving the knots wherever you like.

You said ranger, but my mind read F150.
I didn't even realize the ranger was still in production. Thought it was replaced by the SporTrac.
Having said that, my preference would still be to store tanks and other wet gear in a bed under a cover.

What thickness, diameter and length of PVC did you use, and how much space in between each piece?

Go up to Walmart or such and buy a "Swim Noodle" or 2 and cut to length....!!!

lee

plenty of towels its the red neck tank holder. works great and the extra towels always come in handy

Back
Top Bottom