New under water hunter.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney:
Rail guns like freedivers recomend usually require chest loading, and are common for them. They don't suit the purpose of a lot of scuba divers, ........
Chad

now that's the best advice i've heard in a while, something i had not even remotely thought of. very good point! depending on whay type of equipment your diving (BC specifically) this could be a big problem! excellent!

Amphibious:
As for those who slyly bashed my advice. Lifes to short to own a crap gun, why buy a Biller?

Amphibious,

The Billers are good people, and they have a huge number of satisfied customers for the guns they make, especially those that live in Florida, like the guy that started this thread, telling everyone he is newly scuba certified.

People don't slyly bash you... they just tackfully ignore you.

Chad

Jorgy,

If you seriously want to learn to spearfish, I would suggest contacting Chad and coming up to St Pete for a class. He will get you out and shooting (targets & fish) in only a couple of hours. He can put you on spots that are appropriate for your experience level, and it will be money well spent, imho.

Best of Luck!!!

Scott

Chad Carney:
Amphibious,
People don't slyly bash you... they just tackfully ignore you.

Chad

well even you have voiced you opinions. mine is that billers arn;t all that hot. I've used them and can compare them to all the other guns I've used, in all the other countries I've hunted. maybe billers will suddenly become super duper spiffy spearguns when i hunt Florida (on the hit list), but so far, not quite there yet. I'm sure they are nice people, and I enjoyed meeting their sales staff and chatting with them at DEMA, but how does that have anything to do with a product evaluation? some of us don't settle for second best.

FredT:
You have gotten a bunch of reasonable advice so far but it's time to put in my 2 cents worth.

Personally I find any headlamp more trouble than they are worth, but to each his own.

As far as getting a gun goes a lot will depend on what support in the form of spare shafts and parts is available in your area. Biller and Biller clones have pretty much taken over the Fla market and are quite suitable for that area. OTOH they are pretty much absent from the Oil Rigs as they are unsuitable for a significant "power up" by going to larger and shorter bands. On the rigs JBL HXD series guns and Riffes seem to rule. Freedivers tend to use slightly different gear tuned to their hunting style and prey species, both of which will be different than what and how you'll be hunting. Listen to any experiencd hunter, but always consider the source.

In the over 37 years I've hunted underwater there is one basic truism to underwater hunting. Whatever gear is tuned to a specific area will be less than optimal 150 miles down the coast! See what gear the experienced hunters in your area are using. A day spent at a local boat ramp observing who has harvested good fish and what they use in your area can save you a bunch of bucks. I've hunted both fresh and salt water, with experience in most water types and clarity with prey species ranging from a few ounces in fresh water to over 100 pounds on the Rigs.

This will be disputed, but a year spent hunting with NO gun will do you good even if you will be a bit frustrated. Starting with a Hawaiian sling will teach you more about stalking, prey behaviour and patience than 5 years with a gun. It also prohibits you from "practicing your mistakes" as your mistakes will cost you meat with a sling that you might have landed with a gun. They do take a lot of practice to learn how to use, but experience with pistols or a bow will shorten the learning curve. I still prefer a sling for shallow reef fish and lobstering, and I have a closet full of guns to choose from. Sling shafts are wonderful bug "tickle sticks" for the east coast of Fla south of WPB. :eyebrow:

FT

Yea... i do hunt boar with my bow (Bear bow set to 63lbs.) or .30-30 Win. 94....... but i do also have exstensive experiance with pistols (shoot alot and do hunt other animals with them... such as rabit with a .22lr pistol / or a Glock 9 mil... or my S&W .357 loaded with .38 cal rounds (really light)).....

OK.... i found that all the shops in my area basically sell Rife guns and Billar...

I plan on hunting rock formations, reefs (about 50 ftsw)... and a stop call Fowie Rock.... down here in S. FL.. off Biscayne Bay.... due to the water clarity there... and the amount of grouper/snapper/jacks i have caught on rod and reel there....

P.S.
What manufactuers are there that make bang sticks and power heads.... ? Interested since i saw a black tip shark the other day (about 5 ft. long)... while i was free diving for lobster walking on the bottom (for a buddy that has a comercial license)... as well as a few Nurse sharks (but they are harmless)

Interesting, I have tried to stay out of this, simply because I am a california hunter, and my experiences in the waters here are likely much different than the experiences there. We shoot stuff at fairly short range, and generally shoot into the rocks. Perhaps if you are thinking of hunting mainly rocks and reefs you should go with a rock and reef gun. For example I shoot a JBL 38 special NW, a true rock and reef gun. I got the upgraded trigger mechanism because the standard system got a bit sticky for my tastes. This gun has a 28 inch shaft, certainly different than what is popular in the wide open waters of the east coast.
What seems to have been failed to mention is that you will want to pick your weapon for your target species. A longer gun would be great for longer distances and larger fish, however when you are shooting smaller fish like I generally do here, a huge gun is just a pain.

I also agree that you should start with a pole spear, it will make you a much more proficient hunter, although having handgun experience and archery experience, perhaps you already have a decent idea of what to do.

Spearguns are cheap, don't be afraid to buy something good to start out with, you will want several if you really get into it.

How do you work a hand held spear?

Do you just "Poke" your target?

What is the round band at the end of them used for?

Remember guys... Im new to this... so what you guys see as a newbee question... I will ask because im a newbee... LOL

Thank you all for your help... im already starting to see were i will most likely be hunting off...

Mostly recks and reef heads... about 40 - 70 ftsw... so i know i need a 48" gun... and probably something a little smaller for when i just hunt inlets for grunts/snapper...

you hold the shaft of the spear, you place the rubber band loop over your thumb to rest between your thumb and index finger, you then push the pole back to create tension on the band, then clamp onto the pole again, this is the "loaded" position, now you aim at your target and simply release your grip to fire. Depending on the situation I suppose you could completely let go of the shaft, but i've always used this for close up shots. Others can chime in on this too.

Some more ideas, go order some videos from the LDS, trident (a distributor) carries a good selection that your shop should let you pick from. and try "collecting" first. In florida you have lobster, scallop and probably conch and lots of other stuff. Collecting will give you time to get more in touch with everything it takes to hunt/collect without taskloading becoming a problem. On the west coast we abalone dive on breathhold.

Amphibious:
I'm sure they are nice people, and I enjoyed meeting their sales staff and chatting with them at DEMA, but how does that have anything to do with a product evaluation?

Amphibious,

It has nothing to do with product evaluation.

It has everything to do with why you shouldn't call their guns "crap", just because their design doesn't suit you.

I have shot Biller 54" guns with freeshafts for decades, while freediving and on scuba in Florida. They are probably in the top 5% of guns for that purpose, and are quite a bargain as well.

Chad

I believe that hawaiian slings and pole spears are illegal to use in Florida waters. Is that correct, Chad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom