New under water hunter.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney:
Amphibious,

It has nothing to do with product evaluation.

It has everything to do with why you shouldn't call their guns "crap", just because their design doesn't suit you.

Chad

It has EVERYTHING to do with a product evaluation. if you belive a product is sub-standard would you tell a curious buyer otherwise just becuase the makers are "nice People". I hope you don;t sell regulators that way! you're letting a person bias get in the way of an accurtate evaluation. I travel, internationally, a lot. if billers are so hot and I am so wrong, why don't I see them more often outside the south eastern US ? the original poster is a new diver that was asking for experienced help in choosing hunting equipment. I am of the mind that you buy the best kit you can aford. this eliminates AB Biller spearguns. my opinon from my experience.

fast97rs:
P.S.
What manufactuers are there that make bang sticks and power heads.... ? Interested since i saw a black tip shark the other day (about 5 ft. long)... while i was free diving for lobster walking on the bottom (for a buddy that has a comercial license)... as well as a few Nurse sharks (but they are harmless)

B&B makes powerheads. All you need is a .223. Keep in mind it's the powder charge not the bullet that kills underwater. Ray Odor also makes a .223 popper for self defense. http://www.spearfishing.cc His just slide over the shaft tip. The other styles have to be threaded onto the shaft, generally you carry an extra shaft for that purpose. You don't have to worry about the Black Tips. Just watch them they will tell you when it's time to exit the area. Sharks aren't the problem, I have more problems with Goliath Groupers.

I think the one thing everyone will agree on is that the more you get under the water and practice shooting, the better and more knowledgable you become. You will learn what type of fish you like to stalk and your shots will be better and better. The best thing you can do is get in the water and practice.

EANx40:
B&B makes powerheads. All you need is a .223. Keep in mind it's the powder charge not the bullet that kills underwater. Ray Odor also makes a .223 popper for self defense. http://www.spearfishing.cc His just slide over the shaft tip. The other styles have to be threaded onto the shaft, generally you carry an extra shaft for that purpose. You don't have to worry about the Black Tips. Just watch them they will tell you when it's time to exit the area. Sharks aren't the problem, I have more problems with Goliath Groupers.

Never really though about Goliath Groupers (Jewfish right?).... what can they do? I always see them take off back into thier hole after they see me...?

They like free meals.

Here in the gulf, you almost have to fight one for every fish you shoot. Once I had two good sized ones go after a grouper my buddy shot, and it sounded like we were driving through the ghetto. They were kicking up sand everywhere, and vis went to 0.

fast97rs:
Never really though about Goliath Groupers (Jewfish right?).... what can they do? I always see them take off back into thier hole after they see me...?

Biller/Seahornet/Spearfishing Specialties have quite a bit going for them in Fla.
1st is faster reload time than guns that require a wrap on the muzzle to retain the shaft.Especially if freeshafting and using 1 stout band.

2.Contrary to what anyone tells you they can be powered up.I often use 2x26"5/8 and 1x 24" SS black rubber bands.That's almost 500 lbs of initial stretch and about 400 lbs after setting.I don't always use that many but can.This gun is 5 years old no misfires after probly 2 to 3K shots... mebbe more.

3.They can be used for freediving and pelagics and can accept reels.

4.Costs of parts,bands and replacement shafts are less.

Here's a list of fish shot without PHs by Billers from me and a few friends in the last 6months
Gag Grouper to 56#
Red Snapper to over 30#
Cobia over 100#
Several Cubera Snapper to 80#
Wahoo to 80#
Mahi to 30#
Mangrove Snapper to 12#
Sheephead to 12#
Flounder to 8#
Hogfish to 20#
Scamp Grouper to 18#
And yes even AJs:wink:
Not bad for 5 guys with crap guns.BTW I only have about 3000 spearfishing dives on SCUBA and just less than 300 days of freediving on the water in the SE US ,Carribean,Central and South America and Mediteranean so my experience may be a little less than some more experienced divers.

You have been given a lot of different opinions here. My best advice is to listen to it all, go over to spearboard.com, use the search function, and continue to read for a few weeks before getting a gun. Read enough and you will begin to learn WHY everyone has a different opinion and then you can make your own informed choice. Even better would be to go with people in your area and try the guns they are using. I dive on scuba on the Louisiana oil rigs. I use a JBL Gulf Magnum XHD and I like it. 90% of the people here would not recomened that gun but I think it is about the best you can get for MY AREA and MY STYLE OF DIVING. For my area, Riffe is probably a better gun, but it is also 2-3 times the price. No offense to Amphibious but everyone does not have an unlimited amount of money to buy a gun. Don't forget that it is always posible that you will lose your new gun to a big fish. I am not trying to sell you on a JBL. It is probably not the best gun for your area. My point is that everyone has a differnent opinion for a reason. Do enough reading to find out why they have different opinions and you will be ready to buy the right gun for you.

went on my first underwater hunt....

see the how do you.... thread

thanks for the help everyone!

Jorgy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom