New York to Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cathay also flies direct, JFK-HKG, though it may be a more expensive flight. I've also flown JAL into both SIN and DPS. Connection point is Tokyo (NRT). There are direct flights from JFK as well as connections through LAX and SFO. Finally, it's been a while since I flew them, but Singapore Air used to have fairly decent fares and, occasionally, great specials. If you are a frequent flyer accruing and using miles in a domestic airlines program, you might want to consider flying an airline within the same alliance so that you can accrue miles. Or, if you've got a lot of miles, getting to Singapore using them is not that hard.

On the luggage issue, flying through Singapore, I've always managed to send my baggage onward on Silk without any extra fees no matter on what airline I travelled there.

Fastest route would be New York - Kuala Lumpur on Malaysian Airlines & then Kuala Lumpur - Manado on Air Asia. You will need to get on a taxi from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) to connect to Lower Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) to get on Air Asia though. Air Asia promo can be dead cheap during their crazy promo period. Just bought myself a Kuala Lumpur - Manado return ticket for RM70 ~ USD20 nett.

It's cheap but it's get expensive in case you have to change your flight. Air Asia's Baggage allowance is very limited. and from KLCC to LCCT with Diving gears is not convenient. tricky to take a cab in KL without being cheated. I still believe via Singapore with SilkAir is the best. I bought Sin-Manado (return) @S$398 (S$268+130). Changi Airport is the best for transit, specially after long flight.

You'll need to plan your arrival at KLIA ahead of time as Air Asia being a no frills airline charges for any change of flights. They also have diff charges for diff luggage weights ranging from RM5~USD1.40 for 15kg, RM55~USD15 for 20kg & RM105~USD29 for 25kg.
KLIA - LCCT is about 20mins max by cab. & U gotta get on the official airport cabs.
It all depends on your priority - budget or comfort.

It's cheap but it's get expensive in case you have to change your flight. Air Asia's Baggage allowance is very limited. and from KLCC to LCCT with Diving gears is not convenient. tricky to take a cab in KL without being cheated. I still believe via Singapore with SilkAir is the best. I bought Sin-Manado (return) @S$398 (S$268+130). Changi Airport is the best for transit, specially after long flight.

Changi airport Singapore was a huge pleasure. Coming from the US, the Singapore air flight and Changi airport was a totally different and better world compared to flying and airports in North America.

My coach class ticket on Singapore gave me a seat and service equivalent to business class on US flights. The airport has free internet terminals everywhere. Lounge chairs, couches, big screen tv's, free movie theater, an in airport hotel, showers, sleeping area. If you can believe it, my travel companions and I were looking forward to the long layover in Singapore on our return to the US.

Also in Singapore airport do not miss the various indoor gardens in the terminals. Especially nice is the Orchid Garden with a Koi fish pond on level two (main level) at the end of terminal TWO where the Ambassador Transit Hotel http://athmg.com/ (3rd floor) is located. Just near the transit hotel and next to the "movie theatre" (big screen TV in a darkened theatre setting with theatre seats with cupholders is an outdoor Sunflower Garden. It is also the designated smoking area. I often go out there to take a nap at night, sometimes its too cold inside.

Be aware that late at night you may be approached by airport security guards who will ask to see you passport and boarding passes.

Also strategically located are transit counters. Certain seats that may have extra leg room are blocked (the ones that are reserved for people with infants and have extra room to put in the baby bed ) and these seats get released to anyone who asked for them sometime before departure so it is worth a moment to go to the transit counter and ask if there are seats with better leg room.

There are free internet terminals accessible 24 hours a day all over the airport terminal and even a few in the departure areas. Some areas have WiFi. There are also free Xbox machines and desks where you can plug in a laptop to the internet on the third level of Terminal 2 (that's the only terminal I have been in, all the terminals are connected)

Don't forget the outside Bar :D also if you have enough transit time,there is free two hour excursions around Singapore.

Best airport in the world i think :D

Also at Singapore Airport don't miss the perpetual "happy" hour at the DFS store (duty free shoppers) where they often have samples of liquor.

There are phones on the wall that allow free phone calls anywhere in Singapore. There is a 7-11 and a Burger King that are open 24 hours a day.

Terminal ONE has a swimming pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom