New Zeagle Bail-out System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it just me or does this reek of Spare-Air...?

Nope! use the spreadsheet and you will see that 3 cu-ft is too small and 6 cu-ft is enough (in many situations). Plus the spair air uses a wacko regulator

Chad Carney:
Zeagle has finally put all the pieces together to complete a new bail-out system, light enough to leave on your BC all the time, and designed for hands free operation.
While I'm sure that it has more going for it than I see at first glance, I have to admit that my first response was, "Wow, Zeagle's gone and invented the FENZY!"<G>

This is their bail out system NOT the freedive BC/weight belt although they both appear to use the same tank and first stage regulator

dumpsterDiver:
This is their bail out system NOT the freedive BC/weight belt although they both appear to use the same tank and first stage regulator
Actually the free dive belt I really want to try.

Sharky1948:
That "band aid" may slow the "bleeding" so that you can get to a "full wound dressing" (surface air.) :D (Couldn't resist one more post. I'm just trying to get my post count up! :rofl3: )

Where I'm from, we generally think that it is just plain better to avoid the axe in the first place. (you're not the only one racking up a post count. :) )

dumpsterDiver:
Actually yes! Often, Open water dive instruction is way too abbreviated and the new divers are often an accident waiting to happen, in my opinion. Pair too of these recent graduates of the weekend course and dump them in 60 feet of water alone sounds scary. I wouldn't trust this kind of buddy to save me; so why should the newly certified diver have unwavering faith in him either?

I don't substitute one unsafe practice for another. I don't have unwavering faith for any diver either. I pick my buddies carefully just like I pick everything else that is important to me carefully. Every person I dive is fully competent for the dives we do. If there is someone new coming into the mix, we go to the bunny slopes first. Not 60 feet. 30 feet. Hopefully instructors are teaching the same thing. I can't imagine any sensible instructor teaching anything different. (Which begs the question, why the deep dive specialty for students doing the AOW class right out of open water certification? Okay, different topic for a different thread.)

dumpsterDiver:
HECK IT MIGHT EVEN GIVE THE NEW DIVER A CHANCE TO RUN OUT OF AIR MORE THAN ONCE IN THEIR LIFE!

Are you comfortable with the idea that your students (not to mention your family) would have the opportunity to run out of gas during their dive careers? Or would you rather teach them the different methods they can employ (proper gas planning) and teach them to find the right type of buddies to dive with? You know, the kind that follows the dive plan, the kind that doesn't wander off, the kind that watches your back and obeys all pre-discussed procedures?

Okay.. I realize the dead horse I have been beating is starting to smell foul.

Quote Adobo:

"If you are in an OOG scenario, things are all "flowered" up and relying on 6 cu ft. as your emergency plan sounds incredibly stupid to me. PADI 101 says have a buddy. Your buddy is your emergency plan. He should have enough gas to donate to you and get both of you to the surface in a slow/controlled fashion."

Well, there is your problem right there, I don't care what PadI says and go to great lengths to do the opposite of everything they say. Despite what you learned in PadI 101 a pony is a good solution for a single tank profile where one either has no buddy or wishes to be prepared and independent for themselves regardless of the buddy. Not all dives require doubles or deco and therefore a small pony is an excellent way to provide REAL redundancy.

The 60 feet per minute ascent is and has been a standard rate of ascent for direct exit to the surface using the Navy Standard Tables for all non deco obligation dives for decades. No safety stop is required per the tables. My bet is the fellow with 6 cf pony who for whatever reason has a "situation" develop is going to be far better off than the same diver with no pony diving the same equipment and profile. N:popcorn:

I agree with nemrod. I just want a bigger than 6cf bottle for it. But then, my typical dive profile is to 70FSW or more, 100 to 110 is not uncommon. I'd rather have a 13cf bottle with those depths in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom