New Zeagle Bail-out System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Hoosier:
Please pardon my ignorance, I'm a newbie, but what good would 6 cf do? From the reading I've done, you are really going to need at least 13 cf if not 19-30 cf to have a bailout bottle allow you to safely ascend with safety stop from recreational max depth.

I'm not a typical diver, but I plan on doing a lot of solo diving, all of which will be less than 40 ft. The 6 cf would be plenty of air to ascend from such depths. Just giving a scenario where it is practical.

Quote:

"Bring a pony. Just bring one that's big enough.
6 Cu Ft is just scary.
30 is nice. 40 is nicer."

Wow, you meant to tell me a sport diver on a single 80 needs a 40 cf pony---no---I don't think so, the 6 to 10 cf is plenty--don't be silly. N

Chad Carney:
My SAC breathing rate in the earlier test dives was 3.9 cfm on #1 completely at rest for 13 minutes.
Chad

3.9 cfm is a typo? Yes?

Chad Carney:
Note in the above examples the diver would also have a 4 x, 5 x or almost 8 x volume increase in his primary cylinder on each respective dive.

:confused:

You lost me.

Terry

Web Monkey:
:confused:

You lost me.

Terry

Although you probably already know this, when you are at 220' you are at approx 8atm. At that depth it takes 8x the volume of air to take a breath than it does at the surface. So while you are ascending it will take a smaller volume of air to take a breath the shallower you go. Therefore, if you are OOG at depth, you should be able to get a couple of breaths out of your "empty" tank as you get closer to the surface. This is why they teach students to keep their regs in their mouth during a OOG emergency ascent.

dumpsterDiver:
3.9 cfm is a typo? Yes?

Oops, that doesn't fly does it? Thanks for picking up on that error. It should have been .39 cfm.

I have seen SAC rates around 2.5 cfm by some heavy breathing students on my air integrated computer, but that computer does tend to read out SAC rates a tenth or two higher than the standard formula. Still a breathing rate that high is amazing!

Chad

joetex0777:
Although you probably already know this, when you are at 220' you are at approx 8atm. At that depth it takes 8x the volume of air to take a breath than it does at the surface. So while you are ascending it will take a smaller volume of air to take a breath the shallower you go. Therefore, if you are OOG at depth, you should be able to get a couple of breaths out of your "empty" tank as you get closer to the surface. This is why they teach students to keep their regs in their mouth during a OOG emergency ascent.

The volume doesn't increase, the pressure differential between the ambient and the inside of the tank changes, so if you're OOA at 99' (4ata), and ascend to 33' (2ATA), there's now a 29.4 PSI difference between ambient and the tank, which might be a breath or maybe two if you're really lucky and have a big tank and small lungs.

It's nothing like a 4x or 8x change in volume or pressure (it's actually less than 1%).

Terry

Web Monkey:
The volume doesn't increase, the pressure differential between the ambient and the inside of the tank changes, so if you're OOA at 99' (4ata), and ascend to 33' (2ATA), there's now a 29.4 PSI difference between ambient and the tank, which might be a breath or maybe two if you're really lucky and have a big tank and small lungs.

It's nothing like a 4x or 8x change in volume or pressure (it's actually less than 1%).

Terry

Terry,

Using your example, what does an ambient pressure decrease of 2 atm cause in the present volume of gas in the diver's tank as he changes from 99 ft to 33 ft? That would be 2 x as much. We really can't begin to speculate how many breaths that might provide.

Clearly, I just stated that the diver would have a gas availability factor in the primary tank related to the ambient pressure decrease as he ascends and gains the subsequent increase in the cylinder's gas volume. From 99 feet to the surface it's 4x, from 132' it's 5x, etc....

Chad

Chad Carney:
Using your example, what does an ambient pressure decrease of 2 atm cause in the present volume of gas in the diver's tank as he changes from 99 ft to 33 ft?

The tank doesn't change size, it's therefore impossible for the tank volume to change.

Terry

Terry

joetex0777:
Why do we have to go thru the same debate EVERY time anything is posted about small pony bottles?
-
Are all new divers going to shell out $400+ on a fully redundant system & then have to pay for 2 more regs & another cylinder to get inspected every year? - - - NO
-
Is this system better than a good buddy? - - - NO
-
Is this system ideal for 100'+? - - -NO
-
If someone practices w/ this system, is it MUCH better to have this as a backup than having nothing? - - - for me, YES

Joe

Thank you. Yes, and yes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom