Newbie. 11 Weeks Phili. March - May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it seems like I was snoozing and all the hard work has been done! Lots of good info here.

Tankdula if you have questions on Malapascua then feel free to let me know - I'd have to second getting your own gear. Roger is right that a computer is higher up the list than most people at first think.

And personally I'd take my own wetsuit - the water will be warm so a short or long 3mm will be more than enough and not too heavy to carrying around.

I'd certainly plan to hit Palawan and North Luzon for non diving activities, Siargao or La Union for surfing and Boracay on Full Moon for a party. Dive spots will all have something "easy" for you to gain more experience and gradually work your way up to the more advanced sites.

Good luck and enjoy...

Matt.

I'd agree with Roger's list in the order to buy. Def consider a mask and a computer but the rest depends on space and weight.

A mask for sure - I have real trouble getting masks to fit well so I only use my own.

A personal computer is good for safety. I have the Suunto D4 which is my normal watch as well as my computer. Also look at the rest of the Suunto range (D6, D9 and Stinger) which are small and the Cressi Eddi which is teeny. Get a scratch guard for it then you can wear t fopr other activities

Regs - regs are a tricky one as they are expensive to buy and shop ones should work fine but they are also one of the most expensive to rent. I've known people rent regs and bring their own mouthpiece and its no hassle to me to change it for them - at least they are comfortable

Shop fins aren't usually too bad although if you find a pair you like then its worth considering. For a lot of dives open heel offer more comfort but full foot are usually lighter and smaller to carry.

Wetsuit? I often dive in just my boardies as the water is 30 degrees here. They are heavy and cheap to rent.

BCD? Consider one of the many travel options here. Cressi and Beuchat both do really good travel ones that weigh in quite light and take up minimal space. My husband has a Dive Rite travel pac which takes up almost zero room in the case.

Before you go look at a few shops in the areas you want to dive and find out what the equipment prices are. And for theft, I always take my equip straight to the dive centre where I know its safe and locked up even if I don't dive with them everyday.

I have been diving in the Philipines for 2 months. the best place to stay for diving and chillout is definitely Pandan Island. They also go to Apo Reef nearly everyday from there...nuff said...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom