Newbie dropping the big bucks: critique the gear choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aa777888:
- Try a backplate/wings. I'm surprised at the number of proponents for this. I'm typically a very minimalistic guy, except when it comes to computer convenience, e.g. I like my cockpits full of (well designed) glass. Being minimalistic a BP/W setup should appeal, but I also like the idea of a bit of padding on my back, that's why I kind of almost went "all the way" but "wimped out" with the Transpac.
Again, try it before you decide how comfortable it is...you'd be surpirsed.

aa777888:
- A lot of folks are not that excited by split fins. I thought they were all the rage. Apparently not! I will rethink the choice.
Good choice.

aa777888:
Clearly there are fans of the Light Cannon. I will look into that. An extra light makes sense to me at night, and there are some very small ones, so we will always each have a small one too. Something small enough so it can always live in a BC pocket and therefore is less likely to be forgotten.
The canister lights are clearly better but I didn't recomend them because of the cost. Paying $600+ for a light that is overkill for you needs is a little silly. I like the UK SL4 as a backup.

aa777888:
Why a marker and strobe someone asks? I like the idea of a markers so that we can uniquely identify our buddies, in this case my wife, at night, not that I plan on getting that far from her, but we all know what happens to plans.
Get the marker. They are cheap and if you do a night dive in a group they can always help, especically if you are new to it.

aa777888:
In an out-of-air I might be relied upon to calmly ask for my wife's primary, but I know how I'm going to find out if she's got a problem: the reg will be taken out of my mouth for me.

Again, I suggest you try it first. When your wife comes up and steals your reg and you finally find that inflator hose, try the ascent without the use of it. A bungied safe second is a better solution to the problem you lay out.

IndigoBlue:
Hmm, I wonder if the management around here are ever going to realized that letting this guy mislead newbies in this matter might be a liability concern?

James

I used to think IndigoBlue was being serious. Here's to you buddy, good job. IHBT, and trolled quite well.

OneBrightGator:
As far as a back-up pressure gauge goes, either you trust your hoseless transmitter or you don't. For rec dives, it's not needed, watch your gas, if it fails, end your dive (I would suggest keeping a back-up in your kit though), if you're going to carry a SPG anyway, save some cash and skip the hoseless. When I had a Vytec I never carried a back-up.

Hmmm. I could easily buy into this, but I have no experience to tell me how reliable the Hoseless is. I suppose either way I could potentially at the mercy of the computer's reliability, since I would at least want air-integrated. The reason is because I'm a big believer in data acquisition and air consumption is something I'd like to record electronically.

I agree on the cannister light over the Light Cannon too, if you can't afford HID there are usually cheap halogens out there for sale that work great as back-up when you upgrade to an HID.

I think I'll stick with the Light Cannon for now. I'm not sure how much night diving I will be doing yet, or how much I want the light in the daytime. The Light Cannon seems like a good way to understand that first.

I'm a bit confused about the Jet Fins. Are we talking the non-split Jets, or the split Twin-Jets (the black ones, of course!)? I've seen quite a few positive reviews of the Twin-Jets, certainly as many as the Bio-Fins. Are these just folks justifying their rather large expense, or do we really like the Twin-Jets?

Thanks,

aa

Good stuff, guys! OK, now back to our regularly scheduled Air-2 discussion... :wink:

plain ol' JetFins (non-split) for ~ $35...you'll like them and can use the leftover dough for other toys.

aa777888:
Hmmm. I could easily buy into this, but I have no experience to tell me how reliable the Hoseless is. I suppose either way I could potentially at the mercy of the computer's reliability, since I would at least want air-integrated. The reason is because I'm a big believer in data acquisition and air consumption is something I'd like to record electronically.

I used to think that having an air-integrated computer was the way to go. Then I started to monitor my air consumption by looking at my spg every 5 min. It's so nice to be able to not look at your spg for 15-20 min and still and know how much gas you have left. I am a huge fan of technology but for me, I got rid of the computer and got a bottom timer and an spg and have been very happy with that approach.

Good luck,

aa777888:

Do some searches on this site and others, I can tell you from my personal experience I never had a permanent failure (on the boat or surface it would lose contact if I moved too far away). If you're stuck on air-integrated definitely think through a backup, I personally would recommend a wrist-mounted computer (such as a Dive Rite Nitek Duo or Suunto Vyper) and analog SPG.

I would suggest doing some dives with your new equipment and figuring out what light you want before buying anything, Light Cannon or otherwise.

Most of us are talking about plain ol' black rubber Jet fins.

Ben

First, I am sold on the Apollo Bio Fins. Been diving with them for several years now, since a friend let me try his.
A fellow dive buddy just stopped by my desk. He had a pair of old paddle fins and we finally talked him into getting the bio fins. Well last night he tried them in the pool. (He swims masters swimming.) At the end of his work out he put his boots on and swam a lap with the board fins. Some fatigue in his legs, but nothing worse than he was use to. Then tried the bio fins. No fatigue at all, and alot faster time doing the lap.

Like I said, he just stopped by to thank me for talking him into getting the bio fins and was mad he didn't get them sooner.

Buy the biofins, instead of throwing away the $35.00 on Jet fins and then getting the bio fins later.

IndigoBlue:
Well, it was obsolete about 30 years ago, only it came back into vogue briefly again, only to be superseded by the side mount harness, which accomodates side mounted main tanks or a CCR.
Dude, you need to brush up on your scuba history.

http://www.diverite.com/products/history/backplate.htm

The backplate as we know it today was invented in 1979 - 25 years ago by my reckoning. Given recent sales across a number of manufacturers (and the prevalence of them at dive sites), it's hardly been "superseded". Maybe in British sump diving.

By the way, CCRs are NOT sidemount. Maybe one or two kicking around out there.

billseamon:
First, I am sold on the Apollo Bio Fins. Been diving with them for several years now, since a friend let me try his.
A fellow dive buddy just stopped by my desk. He had a pair of old paddle fins and we finally talked him into getting the bio fins. Well last night he tried them in the pool. (He swims masters swimming.) At the end of his work out he put his boots on and swam a lap with the board fins. Some fatigue in his legs, but nothing worse than he was use to. Then tried the bio fins. No fatigue at all, and alot faster time doing the lap.

Like I said, he just stopped by to thank me for talking him into getting the bio fins and was mad he didn't get them sooner.

Buy the biofins, instead of throwing away the $35.00 on Jet fins and then getting the bio fins later.

Splits vs. blade type has been hashed out ad nauseum here. I would suggest the starter of the thread do a search if he would like more opinions on the matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom