Newbie equipment concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to buy a computer. I know the RDP table, bottom timer and depth gauge could also be enough to make recreational diving safe. But... I somehow feel safer with a computer (I could make calculation errors). I also seems interesting to me to know my ascending rates and so on. My fiance feels that a dive computer is not something you need first hand. But I actually just want to have one. First of all because usually it is not so easy to just rent one (well, at least it seems to me).

Thanks, Arwen. This makes perfect sense to me. I am concerned that new divers seem to always be pushed toward purchasing a computer early in their gear purchases for recreational diving, but are never actually told that they do not absolutely *need* a computer. It's clear you understand that a computer is an optional, rather than a required, purchase--an optional, rather than a required, piece of gear.

Good luck (and have fun) with your gear purchasing!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

The Baltic sea is also a cold place to dive. I am going to try these lakes of ours when making PADI scuba review course before going to red sea vacation this summer. But I am still not sure if I will like them.

The Baltic sea is full of wonderfull wrecks. Also, don't underestimate the beauty of the ice cover when seen from below on a sunny winters day.

Cos I am a bit claustrophobic and even snorkeling in those dark water makes me feel some fear creeping around. It scares me to see my feet disappearing into darkness below me

When you dive, your feet will not disappear into darkness. Instead your belly touches the bottom. It is very much different. It feels very much different.

should I buy some gear for myself?

If you want to start diving in Lithuania, then you may want to buy a used drysuit. Wetsuits can be rented in the south.

which kind of gear to buy

A drysuit. The Polish Santi is good. Ursuk/Ursuit from Finland is also good. A drysuit allows you to dive in Lithuania and diving in a wetsuit is easy after that. Own regulator is a nice thing to have, but it can be rented. A suit is a piece of clothing and needs to fit you and it may be expensive to rent. You will want your own computer. The dive logs are really nice. You will use 20 - 30 litres of air (surface pressure) per minute. Assuming 30, you can translate used gas (bar) to minutes diving and use tables. I would still advice you to get a bottom timer or a computer (Uwatec, Xdeep, Vyper computer, others) as it is safer. The xdeep bottom timer is not bad.

this BCD would be suitable for tropical waters, but what about cold lakes of Lithuania?
Don't know. If it freezes and freeflows, then disconnect it. You should try this in a pool.

About old equipment: I use Scubapro JetFins and sometimes a Poseidon Cyklon regulator. These are pretty old technology.

Oh well, one day I might get the training for drysuit diving, but not this year.
What do you think is appropriate price for used titan lx regulator first and second stage with pressure gauge and bcd inflator hose included? It looks as if it was new and the seller says it does not need any service.

Hi Anwen. Sorry im not familiar with the regulator set, however, will point out that for your own safety, you should have it serviced and checked out for you anyway. That's the downside of buying used but usually with the right choice and the right price, the service fee should just be looked at as part of the deal (when considering overall price for purchase).

Well yeah, I understand that. Service here costs about 40 bucks. Seller assured me that the regulator didn't need any servicing and that the diving community is so small he wouldn't risk ruining his reputation. This is actually true - the diving community seems to be small and everyone knows everyone.
I must admit I feel a bit doubtful about servicing that regulator. On one hand in many foreign forums I read that you absolutely need to do that if you buy a second hand regulator. On the other hand some people from richest countries become so rule-bounded and so over-civilised that they become debilitated and incapable of doing or deciding anything themselves. They can only obey books and leaflets. (This came to my mind after reading from one such person how hard it is to change the battery of mares puck computer yourself and that only dive shops can do that. So yesterday when I handled the thing for the first time I was amazed that it was just the simpliest mechanism for that). But well I guess as long as you are so new into something as I am it is best to obey the rules. But even doing that you are allowed to question them, right?

RE: checking the BC. You can also inflate it and put it into a bathtub or sink to look for bubbles, either from the bladder or hose). An inflator valve isn't a particularly expensive repair, but you may as well know up front if it's an issue.

Re: "needing" a computer. If you ever over stay your bottom time, it's nice to have the computer to calculate a safe decompression ascent. And the computer will take the place of a lot of time spent entering data in your log book, assuming you have a computer that uploads your data to a PC.

Well yeah, I understand that. Service here costs about 40 bucks. Seller assured me that the regulator didn't need any servicing and that the diving community is so small he wouldn't risk ruining his reputation. This is actually true - the diving community seems to be small and everyone knows everyone.

What'll you want at 60 feet when a old spring fails in that reg, and all your 2nd stages start free-flowing air, a serviced regulator, or $40? $40 is cheap for a service.

You get your oil changed in your vehicle regularly, right? Put gas in before you run out, replace the tires before they're too bald, get your brakes serviced regularly, right? It's all preventative maintenance to ensure your car will not take unneeded wear and tear, and will continue to reliably function for years to come.

Same thing with a regulator. Annual service isn't just to swap a few parts, it replaces all your springs, valve seats, o-rings, lubricates all these, removes the salt and crude deposits, and retunes it so it breathes just as good as the first day you bought it. You may not need to pay for a full service, but it doesn't hurt to have a tech crack it open and verify that the parts are new, and there isn't anything dangerous building up/growing inside.

This came to my mind after reading from one such person how hard it is to change the battery of mares puck computer yourself and that only dive shops can do that. So yesterday when I handled the thing for the first time I was amazed that it was just the simpliest mechanism for that).

Some people are inept with any tools more complex then a hammer. And some, the use of that tool eludes them.

But even doing that you are allowed to question them, right?
Of course; how else will you learn? :D

Thank you T.C. for your insights.
I finaly bought a second hand aqualung legend lx supreme regulator set (octopus, first and second stage) with a suunto cobra 2 dive computer and oxygen pressure gauge. All from the same guy who had to give up diving because of health concerns. I liked the seller, we had a nice one hour talk about how to take care of regulator and so on. He also promised to borrow me his wing BCD when I first go diving. And if I like it I might buy that one too.

Hmm.. howcome I always spend on my hobbies more than I intend to...
Good that me and my dearest have almost all the same hobbies.

Regarding servicing used regulators . . . I once bought a set of regs from an extremely well known and generally respected technical instructor. I took them in for service, and learned that the prior tech who had serviced them had installed a part in the wrong place, affecting the function of the regulator. I would never dive a used reg without either taking it for service, or in the case of the brand I can service, taking it apart and checking it out myself.

I agree that a computer is probably a good first item (but make sure to keep sharp and well practiced using tables) it is a very important skill to have and if you eventually get into more advanced diving you will be using tables a lot and there will also be lots of emphasis on dive planing.

As for the other items, I would first go with those that require a good fit and comfort - so proper exposure suits for the environment you dive in and a good fitting BCD (or you could always try a backplate, harness, and wing) would be a logical next step. Then I would go for a regulator... probably something that is environmentally sealed and adequate for cold water diving would be a good choice for you.

Having said that, I would advise you get the computer right away but don't rush too much getting other equipment. Get a few more dives in and try out various options available for rent or from friends (BCD, Reg etc..) It's easy to get excited and want to buy things quickly only to find out later that you could have made a better choice if you had been a little more informed and experienced a few other options. You will eventually start to develop your own preferences, so try to find that balance with getting what you feel you really need now and also trying out a few selections of styles and brands to see what works best for you and makes your diving more enjoyable and safer.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom