Newbie here with very newbie question!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your window on the Underwater World is important.

There is quite a bit of variation in mask quality; just the same with any product.

You can buy a mask for under $15.00. As usual; you get what you pay for.

If the mask skirt material is of high quality, surgical grade silicone, it will aid in providing comfort and
help with a proper fit and seal. A frame, light weight aluminum or stainless steel, brings the mask close to the
face and increases the vision while reducing the volume and making for an easy clearing mask.

If your mask fits and seals properly and works for you that is the most important thing. If you feel comfortable
and enjoy your diving you will, most likely, continue to dive.

Quick tip:
Doing your fit test with snorkel or regulator mouthpiece in your mouth is handy. The shape of your face may change slightly when the mouthpiece is in and a mask that fit before may not fit satisfactorily now that something is in your mouth.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks again everyone..all great selections. My lds worked with when I brought it up and we found one that feels way better. From all the ones he had I likes it the best dive in the pool with it and bought it!!
Thanks again for all the help.

I just don't see tons of "purge valve failures". In fact, I've seen two. One was clogged with snot, and the other had been sat on.

Assuming the owner rinses it out and doesn't sit on it, a mask with a purge valve should be just fine.

Also, whether or not the mask has a purge valve isn't always a choice. It may be that the mask that fits the best has one (or doesn't have one). Fit is always first, field of view is second, and whether or not it has a purge valve is a distant third.

Terry

Thats two more failures than need to happen.

Skip the purge, its a gimmick designed to take your money. If the shop sold you a mask without ensuring a good fit, don't go back. They are obviously in it to make a quick buck at your expense.

Good equipment can be bought on the first round. Ask around on here (keep your BS meter set to 'sensitive', though) and you'll come across some good advice.

Thats two more failures than need to happen.

Skip the purge, its a gimmick designed to take your money. If the shop sold you a mask without ensuring a good fit, don't go back. They are obviously in it to make a quick buck at your expense.

Good equipment can be bought on the first round. Ask around on here (keep your BS meter set to 'sensitive', though) and you'll come across some good advice.

There really is no need for a purge valve on a mask. As has already
Been mentioned, they'll serve as a collection point for snot.
Avoid gimmicky features. Search around for stuff that works, you'll
Uncover many threads on gear selection. It won't take long to separate
The good from the not so good.
If someone tried to sell you a mask with the new split skirt, I would
Avoid it.
Mitch

Purge valves have been around for years on masks. They must have a market niche to be still offered by major mask manufacturers and may be incorrectly labeled a "Gimmick" by some forum members. They must work for someone or they would not be manufactured all these years.

Similar valves are used for respirators, dust masks, and SCBA's.

As with any equipment, PM is the best way to avoid problems. Snot, sand, seaweed, dirt, small twigs, parts of leaves just take a little rinse from masks.

Low volume, single, dual, multi-lens, purge, no purge, frameless, rubber, silicon. Whatever works the best and is most comfortable is what counts.

Freedivers have a similar discussion about the best snorkel to use on DeeperBlue.

Again it is whatever works the best for the individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom