newbie question re bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
Ok, sounds like many people recomend the backpack/wing combo. I like the idea that it is a bit more...industrial then most of the bcs for sale at SportChalet or ther LDS. With wide straps and stainless steel hardware, it seems they would be less apt to break over all the plastic snaps... Anyhow my question... Ive seen Scuba Pros Air II, and it seems like a pretty good idea, bc and octo all in one so one less hose floping around. I have not actually seen in person a bp/w setup so Im wondering can you install an AIR II (or any other brand) on a wing or are they strictly manual inflation?

TIA

Yes, you can install it on almost any BC. My personal opinion on the AIR II is that its a little difficult to use when sharing air and asending at the same time, its kind of like playing a flute. And the hose on the BC is usually not long enough to make it very comfortable to use. And of corse the reg breathes like a R190. And one more note for people who want to service regs, the AIR II is the biggest pain in the #@!%$!#@ to service. But other than that...... your going to get a lot of slack from people.

David P:
Ok, sounds like many people recomend the backpack/wing combo. I like the idea that it is a bit more...industrial then most of the bcs for sale at SportChalet or ther LDS. With wide straps and stainless steel hardware, it seems they would be less apt to break over all the plastic snaps... Anyhow my question... Ive seen Scuba Pros Air II, and it seems like a pretty good idea, bc and octo all in one so one less hose floping around. I have not actually seen in person a bp/w setup so Im wondering can you install an AIR II (or any other brand) on a wing or are they strictly manual inflation?

TIA

David,

No reason that an AirII etc could not be installed on a wing. Wings use pretty much the same inflation hose / inflator that other BC use. Some if not all "AirII" style combo inflator 2nd stage regs can be retrofit to most BC hoses.

I would suggest that you investigate the pro's and con's of an octo vs AirII. For me the real issue is buoyancy control while breathing from an Air II.

Consider the circumstances under which you would be breathing from an AirII. Is this when you want your ability control buoyancy to be compromised?

Regards,

Tobin

I use an Air2. It works fine, it's not hard to use. In an open water dive, it's not dangerous out of place. That said...

I'm also moving to a BP/W and will dump the Air2 for a bungeed backup... It has nothing to do with DIR (for me), it just makes more sense to me.

It seems that if you want the "industrial/low-tech" reliability ... then two normal second stages and a "normal" inflator should be your prefered set-up.

2 cents.

An Air II on a b/p wing? Isn't that against some unwritten rule like not shaving on a win streak, or bunting to break up a no hitter?

lee08:
An Air II on a b/p wing? Isn't that against some unwritten rule ...
The one passed by GUE. :wink:
Odd, really, as Jablonski's DIR Fundies book explains how to breath off the inflator as a last resort (p.79) ...

David, as you can see in the enclosed picture it's quite possible to add an inflator-integrated second stage to a bp/w combo. Just as it is possible albeit unruly to use a deco computer (right next to it :D ).

Consider that most wings ment for bp have very short inflator hoses, which make them harder to use with an AirII (or Octo+, in my case). I used the custom (longer) hoses from my Ranger in this pic in order to be able to move my head around. Due to differences in the bladder, this setup was too long and dangled too much for my taste. The Octo+ is back on the Ranger, and I use a normal 2ndary with the bp.

DIR or not (and I'm certainly not), the positioning of the secondary on a strap around your neck is as good as it gets.

David P:

TIA

There's a crotch strap with the backplate and wings (which I hear are extra absorbant...) :joke: Seriously though, you should look at what type of diving you'll be doing. To me it seems like the BP/w is more a tech thing, especially with cave and wreck divers. If you're just into the recreational deal, you may want to look into just some back inflation BCs instead? Just a thought. :smilepong

I use an Air 2 with my BP/wing. It does require a longer corrogated hose than is otherwise ideal for a BP wing an this in turn requires some type of retainer (I use a piece of bicycle inner tube) to hold it close to the shoulder strap to prevent it from dangling. The loop of inner tube slides up readily up the strap when the Air II is raised so it does not prevent it's effcient use for breathing (The long hose primary goes to the buddy by default.) and the inner tube is readily pulled back down with a thumb when the Air II is no longer in use for breathing.

I like the Air II for filling lift bags in cold water as it is easily disconnected if it freezes up. It is now overly redundant on the independent doubles I use 95% of the time, so if it were not for it's utility with lift bags it would probably be sitting on a shelf in the closet.

brssmnky:
To me it seems like the BP/w is more a tech thing, especially with cave and wreck divers. If you're just into the recreational deal, you may want to look into just some back inflation BCs instead? Just a thought. :smilepong
For tech diving it's more of a need, for rec diving more a want.
I like it foremost because of the stability. I also prefer the streamlining.
It saves weight in two forms: Even the 6lbs ss bp/w weights less than my Ranger, and it has less inherent buoyancy, saving lead in the harness.

My bp/w combo, mounted on a full Scubapro 72cu.ft. shorty complete with regs weights in at 47.4 lbs. The Zeagle Ranger mounted the same way clocks in at 52lbs. even.

I don't like the air II, I would never use one. The impression I get is that they are for people who really don't want a backup reg but feel obligated to have one because everyone else has one. To me they are a half measure. If I'm in an emergency situation I want to be breathing from a real regulator that I know works. I would hate to have to give up my primary and breathe off the air II. I dive an Apeks 200atx primary on long hose and Apeks 50atx backup on bungee necklace.

Back
Top Bottom