Newbie Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aim:
Hi, I'm new to forums and scuba etc so please bear with me, but I need advice on fin sizing...help!!!

We need more info, like what kind of boot you wearing, dry suit,wet suit etc.

ok well I'm just going snorkelling next week not scuba diving, and I want to buy some fins, but I don't really know where to start...I have some boots a friend has lent me but i don't know what sort they are...I didn't realise wet suits etc affected what size I should buy. Are their sizing charts on the web anywhere?

Hey Aim - First off - Welcome to the Board!
If you already have the boots then take them with you to try the fins on.

Fins come in 2 varieties Open heel and full foot types. Full foot fins just slip on your feet, no boots needed. They are great for sandy beaches and boats. Open heel varieties allow you to wear a boot inside so that you can walk to the water with some foot protection (very handy if you are walking over sharp rocks, etc..) I find open heel fins to be easier to put on and take off also.

If you plan on getting into scuba diving, and you don't want to spend money on 2 different pairs of fins, just ask for Scuba fins - they tend to be a bit larger and stiffer. While your muscles may have to get used to them, it doesn't take all that long (took my legs about 2 weeks/6 dives) before they were comfortable with the additional effort, plus my muscles got stronger as a result.

Then find a pair that fits comfortably, not tight or you will get foot cramps.

Going into your local dive shop they can help fit you for a pair and try several on. Plus show you all the variations and discuss what you will be doing.

For what it's worth here's a link to the pair I am partial to (but not everyone else is...lol) http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/fincomparison.html

Aloha, Tim

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Welcome to the Board Aim

As far as fins, I agree with Kidspot...the open heel are more versatile, and being you have the booties already, I'd recomend you go with that. A very good starter fin, which is also a good snorkeling fin, is the Mares Plana Avantti. Being that scuba fins are designed to be most effective when fully submerged, the Plana Avantti is also quite effective for snorkeling, when the fin tends to break the surface often. They're also stiff enough to give you plenty of thrust when scuba diving, and light enough to allow a day of snorkeling with little cramping.
Here's a pic of them
ItemLrgPic2A6765.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom