Newbies view of instructors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotty g:
PerroneFord,

With all due respect, do you believe that an exiting pastime/hobby could be presented better via an instructor who understands the limited knowledge of his/her students?

To me, a good teacher would respect the limited knowledge of a novice, establish the learning curve, and work on the science/knowledge they are teaching by being educating without being patronising.

I am fortunate enough to be an instructor for a part of my living. I have done that for 13 years. I am also fortunate enough to be recommended by many of my peers, and to draw students from a very large geographic area. That does not come easily.

I am known as a tough but fair instructor. I enjoy jokes with my students, and my attrition rate is the lowest of any in my area. Generally I see a retention rate of 95% year to year. Average is about 60%. So, yes, I undertsand your issues. But again, for the motivated student, the knowledge is the thing, and if they have to go through a PITA instructor to get it, then they will.

In your case, you found what you wanted by shopping around. I wish more people did that. It would keep some of the bad seeds out of instruction.

Scotty g:
1. A school who tried to warn me about the dangers of diving and not much else about the positive side of diving.

Personally, i am a newbie and although i want the disadvantages to keep in mind, i do want to know about the obvious advantages of exploring the deep without being disillusioned about the fact that this is a relatively dangerous sport.

The most dangerous aspect of scuba diving is those that are disillusioned about the fact that this is not a dangerous activity.

This conversation strikes me similar to a local town debate over a high school football coach. The kids who played for him loved him and had a great experience (for the most part). Many "footballl savy" parents were disgruntled because he had a lifetime losing record. The great debate was between hiring a "winning" coach and a coach that was great with the kids. My question to this and the above:

WHY MUST THEY BE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE?

I've been fortunate in that I believe my two primary instructors are good divers that teach in an informative and challanging way yet also have made my diving experience enjoyable.

JR

PerroneFord:
I am fortunate enough to be an instructor for a part of my living. I have done that for 13 years. I am also fortunate enough to be recommended by many of my peers, and to draw students from a very large geographic area. That does not come easily.

I am known as a tough but fair instructor. I enjoy jokes with my students, and my attrition rate is the lowest of any in my area. Generally I see a retention rate of 95% year to year. Average is about 60%. So, yes, I undertsand your issues. But again, for the motivated student, the knowledge is the thing, and if they have to go through a PITA instructor to get it, then they will.

In your case, you found what you wanted by shopping around. I wish more people did that. It would keep some of the bad seeds out of instruction.

Yes i understand totally.

I hate the way instructors have to put up with people who are there to laugh. Hopefully, these people won't be on my course otherwise i would be telling them before my instructor!

I love the way instructors (of any type) can be on a level with their students yet i understand the need to stop and say "ok, laffs stop here.

Scotty

Scotty g:
I hate the way instructors have to put up with people who are there to laugh. Hopefully, these people won't be on my course otherwise i would be telling them before my instructor!

Always a good point - good instructors are only half the story; no instructor can teach a bad student.

PerroneFord:
I appreciate some good wit and humor, and a lighthearted approach to training. But I an also appreciate those who are business-like and spend all their time just teaching. I FAR prefer that to the instructor who kicks up more silt than I do, or can't hold buoyancy, or who can't swim without using their hands. I don't respect that person.
Fortunately, it's not an "either/or" situation ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Scotty g:
Yes i understand totally.

I love the way instructors (of any type) can be on a level with their students yet i understand the need to stop and say "ok, laffs stop here.

Scotty

Scotty we laugh a lot but like you said we know also when it's time to stop. My instructor always emphasizes that we are doing this to have fun. He is incredible in his ability to balance and emphasize the importance of saftey, rigor and enjoyment all at the same time. Of course he also has to manage the business end of it too. I know ya'll are tired of hearing about him, like PerroneFord said I should've done my homework to find a good instructor but I didnt and I just got lucky. I never knew it was going to be my life, just thought it was a fun thing to do for a couple of weeks. I haven't quit diving since. I've been with instructors/DMs/divers on boats that I felt like they wanted to make me into SEAL before it was over and although I usually took something positive away, I was glad to get home too. I tend to go out by myself on trips often so I meet people of all types, it gives me perspective. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

You made some good points and it is unfortunate that you had those experiences with some instructors. Dive training is a business and your points hopefully will remind instructors out there about this fact. There are good instructors out there - I've had many for my own training so keep looking until you find someone who you are comfortable with.

You know how things are better with a little cheese added? I am the same way with my instruction and humor. Everything is better with a bit of humor added to it!:wink:

Back
Top Bottom