Newbies view of instructors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Joe really summed it up.

There is no reason one must choose between a knowledgeable, competent, informative, safe instructor and one that is fun, encouraging and humble.

In fact a truly great instructor SHOULD have all these qualities. I'm not saying I do. This is what I strive to be in my instruction. But I have seen it in many of my instructors and plenty of my colleagues.

Daner:
The most dangerous aspect of scuba diving is those that are disillusioned about the fact that this is not a dangerous activity.

Not as dangerous statistically as driving/riding in a car; even cave diving you fast your greatest risk on the way to the site, unless you fly to the cave in an airplane

NWGratefulDiver:
This really demonstrates the difference in mentality between the tech (or tech wannabe) diver and the standard recreational diver.

The vast majority of people get into diving to have fun. Take the fun out of it, and they lose interest ... either in the instructor or in the activity altogether.

One of the things our CD emphasized when I was going through instructor training is that people tend to listen better and participate more completely when the instructor makes enjoyment one of the class objectives.

In training new divers, I have found that to be the case. Turn into a drill sargeant and you will lose them ... either they will stop listening or they will drop out of the class.

People skills ARE important ... there are lots of great divers out there who make poor instructors because they don't have any ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, You're full of surprises, as illustrated here and most of them are good ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom