Nice dive resorts in Western Pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay, I'm segueing from the Caribbean to the Western Pacific because my requirement for water temperatures over 83 degrees rules out a Caribbean trip in January.

So... my wife and I are looking for a moderately upscale resort that offers more than just scuba diving, but in a place where scuba diving is available either docking on the property or very nearby. We'd like good Internet access, TV with movies in the room, room service, stuff like that, and very aesthetically pleasing grounds.

My wife is into K-pop, but Korea is just too far north to have warm water in January. So, she's willing to compromise and go some place like Fiji, Singapore, etc. But I don't really know what's available over there.

I suppose we could go just a little farther and go to Australia and dive the Great Barrier Reef. Everybody talks about that being the ultimate dive destination.

Any help greatly appreciated.

---------- Post Merged at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:59 AM ----------

katepnatl:
I have to say, in looking back, that my most fond memory of a land-based dive vacation is KBR in Indonesia. The grounds are just absolutely gorgeous and the staff is great. And there is a spa there, and a nice pool, so a non-diving partner may enjoy it, if they are looking for relaxation. I wouldn't call it 5-star personally, but I *would* go back (in a minute) and that is saying a lot, with all the places I haven't been. What was the question again, I just got caught up in my memories of that resort
katepnatl:
03.gif

http://www.divekbr.com/video.php

Wow, cool! I'll definitely put KBR on my list of possible destinations for our trip.

I would recommend looking at North Sulawesi - doing a two stop break sometime in Bunaken and some time in Lembeh...

Last edited:
I have to say KBR was gorgeous, but I don't remember movies in the rooms, and there wasn't a whole lot there for a non-diver to do. I don't know what a taxi into town would cost, but you'd have to be brave enough to do it on your own, because the place is a place for divers.

We had an absolute ball in Byron Bay, Australia -- that's a place that has gorgeous beaches, upscale resorts, and incredible diving. But the water temp, if I remember right, was 75. I don't remember ever being cold in the wetsuits they rented to us, though -- I think they were 5 mils. Dives were 45 minutes, and you don't get very cold in that short a time. The diving was fabulous. Look up AussieDiver's photos here on SB for a taste of the place. And if you go, have a long and liquid lunch at Rae's -- it's worth it.

I would rule out Lembeh for a non diving partner, and most good diving places are good for diving only.

Difficult to advise on things for a non-diver to do especially as this is a diving forum.

January is also the SE monsoon otherwise I would recommend Redang on the east coast of Malaysia, but all the dive places will be closed until March.

Atlantis Dive Center in Puerto Galera, Philippines is pretty luxurious and is an option, but again not a lot for a non diving partner (spa, internet and TV in room) There are some other really good luxury places in the Philippines but require an additional flight from Manila. Advantage fo Puerto Galera is that it is only a 3 hour road trip + 1 hour boat trip from Manila.

At least check out Tahiti and the surrounding islands they have everything you want and more at almost any price range imaginable.

83F = 28C
In Jan even the water in Philippines is below your required temp!!
Palau is my suggestion.
And if you can stretch your boundary to Indian Ocean then Maldives is the place.

I love Palau but I'm not sure it is where I would send someone with limited experience and a non diving spouse. Fiji certainly fills the bill. That is my favorite place to go during the winter months. I liked the GBR but it is not amoung my top 4 dive sites. As to it being the "end all" for divers I have a very experienced freind who thinks it should be renamed the "good barrier reef". Of course he is a total snob lol. He now only likes to dive Indonesia and Palau.
I think the island of Taveuni has some of the best diving in Fiji. Look at the Paradise Resort there. Good place for divers and non divers alike. In fact one of the better places I've seen for both. It is off the beaten path a bit (45 minute drive from the airport) which I saw as plus. Lots of other options but I certainly would have Fiji high on my list (by the way, I'm also a warm water wuss. Once dove the red sea at 77 degrees, with only a t shirt for thermal protection brrr. only once, 24 dives but only once).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom