Resort diving - Bring AL19 tank or AL80 bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When traveling via plane to resort destinations (eg caribbean), I’m thinks that instead of having to bring an al19 cylinder as my redundant air source, it may make more sense to just bring the bands/boltsnaps for an al80 and use one of the tanks already there.

Trim won’t be an issue for me with a full tank, however I was also thinking it might be best to “use” the tank down to about half (1500cf) so that it is neutrally buoyant.

Thoughts?

This is why I sidemount. Always able to be redundant everywhere.

Will your dive operator rent you an AL80 for the duration of your stay or will you have to rent one for each trip?

If they will rent you one for the duration, who is going to transport/store it?

Do you need/want to use your additional tank as a "stage", and not just for "bailout"

Air travel with a scuba cylinder is a major PITA. It will have to have the valve taken off and I have no idea how destinations outside the USA would consider it upon arrival. There may be customs duties or a deposit to be paid.

If you are diving into overhead environments, I can see a purpose to what you want [redundancy], but if it is just OW diving, well I don't think it is worth the effort. a boltsnap and harness may be a much better option.

When traveling via plane to resort destinations (eg caribbean), I’m thinks that instead of having to bring an al19 cylinder as my redundant air source, it may make more sense to just bring the bands/boltsnaps for an al80 and use one of the tanks already there.

Trim won’t be an issue for me with a full tank, however I was also thinking it might be best to “use” the tank down to about half (1500cf) so that it is neutrally buoyant.

Thoughts?
I've started carrying a harness and an extra cam band. Any tank can be slung that way. I've found taking my backgas down to 1000 psi (or so) before I move to the slung "stage" gives me an extra bit of redundancy. I've never noticed any buoyancy issues, even slinging an AL80

Hi @ScubaSamScubaStevesFather

Where are you going that you think this is neccessary?
Mostly caribbean / mexico, for non-deco rec diving.

Thanks everyone for the input; I decided I'm going to hold off on getting an AL19 and instead bring the bands/boltsnaps.

@JohnN can you provide more details on what you specifically use? Thanks.

Mostly caribbean / mexico, for non-deco rec diving.

Thanks everyone for the input; I decided I'm going to hold off on getting an AL19 and instead bring the bands/boltsnaps...
Will this be shore diving, boat diving, or both? Could you get away with using the larger cylinders available from some operators or is a redundant supply the issue? Will you be diving solo or with a buddy? In my more than moderate exposure to the Caribbean and Mexico, I have not encountered much solo diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom