Resort diving - Bring AL19 tank or AL80 bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will this be shore diving, boat diving, or both? Could you get away with using the larger cylinders available from some operators or is a redundant supply the issue? Will you be diving solo or with a buddy? In my more than moderate exposure to the Caribbean and Mexico, I have not encountered much solo diving.
boat diving. Most non-solo but I do prefer to dive as if I'm solo since, as we all know, your buddy is usually not right next to you...
I'd pay extra to rent an al80, breathe it down to neutral bouyancy on my first dive of the trip, then just keep it at that pressure for the rest of the trip (no further fills, so no extra cost I assume) as redundant gas.

Keep it in my locker/gear spot, and just don't forget it when getting on the boat :)

boat diving. Most non-solo but I do prefer to dive as if I'm solo since, as we all know, your buddy is usually not right next to you...
I'd pay extra to rent an al80, breathe it down to neutral bouyancy on my first dive of the trip, then just keep it at that pressure for the rest of the trip (no further fills, so no extra cost I assume) as redundant gas.

Keep it in my locker/gear spot, and just don't forget it when getting on the boat :)
It appears you have not dived this configuration yet. Out of interest, where are you planning on using it? Have you polled any operators to make sure they are OK with having an extra AL80 in addition to your standard cylinders? I have never seen this particular configuration used on a charter or liveaboard in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Mostly caribbean / mexico, for non-deco rec diving.

Thanks everyone for the input; I decided I'm going to hold off on getting an AL19 and instead bring the bands/boltsnaps.

@JohnN can you provide more details on what you specifically use? Thanks.
Pictures are easier than trying to explain. The top loop goes around the valve at the tank neck, the cam band goes around the tank. Top bolt snap to your left "D" ring, bottom bolt snap to the "D" ring on the waist band. The "handle" is automotive fuel line.

1712690143501.jpeg

The DMs on those boats are going to flip their lids, not to mention finding a place to store it. This sounds like a giant PITA both people-wise, weight-wise, ladder-wise, and logistically.

The DMs on those boats are going to flip their lids, not to mention finding a place to store it. This sounds like a giant PITA both people-wise, weight-wise, ladder-wise, and logistically.
Store what? An 'extra' AL80? As for getting back onto the boat, unclip the slung tank and hand it up

Store what? An 'extra' AL80? As for getting back onto the boat, unclip the slung tank and hand it up
Yes an "extra" 80. Do you even know if the boat is setup to store it?

I’ve done deco dives off full recreational boats with doubles + 3 al80 stages clipped; was no issue at all (just needed a bit more space).

Single rec tank + al30 literally just requires one extra tank holder. Not a big deal at all

Yes an "extra" 80. Do you even know if the boat is setup to store it?
lol what. Think we got ourselves an inner net troll

Pictures are easier than trying to explain. The top loop goes around the valve at the tank neck, the cam band goes around the tank. Top bolt snap to your left "D" ring, bottom bolt snap to the "D" ring on the waist band. The "handle" is automotive fuel line.

View attachment 835965
Thanks for this pic. It looks like you tied the bolts directly to the tubing, which knot tie did you use to obtain a secure fit between the tubing and line?

Back
Top Bottom