Night diving in a bioluminescent bay, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indigo_dc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going on holiday in less than two weeks and we have plans to do tons of normal diving, snorkelling etc. but I've read about a bay on Grand Cayman than has a ton of bioluminescent microbes in the water that glow when you swim/snorkel/dive. We're booking to do a boat tour/snorkelling session - not going to link details here, PM me if you want info - but was wondering if anyone had done this before? And slightly off topic, if you've photographed it before?

Anyway, I was chatting to the boat owner about diving too and they suggested it's a fantastic night dive as well, very shallow and provided there aren't too many jellies, pretty safe and reliable. Something like 3m, sandy bottom and simply sitting there watching fish, your hands, your eyelashes etc. make sparkly trails in the water is supposed to be fantastic!

Has anyone done this before and can recommend a dive operator to use?

North side I think, near the mangroves apparently. But if it's everywhere then I probably won't have a problem finding an operator prepared to take us out there.

Photographing it will be a challenge I think but I'll ask that question in the correct forum :)

The cove most visited for bio-luminescence is located across the street from our place in GC. It is located in Cayman Kai, near Rum Point (Map Location). While very cool to visit by kayak (on a dark, dark night), I have not yet had enough motivation to snorkel it (I plan on taking my UW camera when I do). I really can't see diving in 3-6 feet of water as being more interesting than snorkeling, but won't knock it since I haven't tried it. Since you need a long exposure to capture the "glow", taking video might be a better option.

There are two tour companies that regularly take folks to the area. Both use kayaks and one has a boat option.

Thanks for the update - also your snorkelling Google map is fantastic!
Definitely starting to think aside from some attempts at long exposures I'll probably stick with the video.

The cove most visited for bio-luminescence is located across the street from our place in GC. It is located in Cayman Kai, near Rum Point (Map Location). While very cool to visit by kayak (on a dark, dark night), I have not yet had enough motivation to snorkel it (I plan on taking my UW camera when I do). I really can't see diving in 3-6 feet of water as being more interesting than snorkeling, but won't knock it since I haven't tried it. Since you need a long exposure to capture the "glow", taking video might be a better option.

There are two tour companies that regularly take folks to the area. Both use kayaks and one has a boat option.

I have done the kayak tour Testudo mentions & agree that it is nice to swim or snorkel but don't think it would be worth diving.

Will do, I'll be sure to post the results on here too so you can see for yourself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom