Nitrox and computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lockout may not be a big deal for some. The real ball buster is missing one minute of deco and getting locked out for 24 hours. Missing one minute of deco is not going to matter over the course of many dives but locking you out for a full day is a real inconvenience. At least the computer should unlock when the controlling compartment has cleared sufficiently during the locked out SI.
theres a reset code you can use -used by dive shops mostly fro hire gear

theres a reset code you can use -used by dive shops mostly fro hire gear
I thought this was only possible on a few computers.

Suunto (e.g., Zoop) has a lockout period of 48 hours, not 24. So if you mess up for any reason and let your no-deco time count down to zero, you won't be using that computer for two days.

not sure but I'm only familiar with a couple, but methinks were talking about recreational settings or recreational DC so Id imagine thats what would be in the hire pool

Last edited:
Of course, you lose all of your gas tracking information
yes you would - i guess you could go back to tables , calculate and check your CNS. -

as EFX points out in #58 it can be a pain if you've missed a minute and get a violation and get shut out . My perdix, and im assuming other DC puts the responsibility and decision making back on to the diver so if you have the training and experience to make that call then thats acceptable for me

Last edited:

Unless they use some sort of non-volatile storage, removing the power should do it. One possible problem is "supercapacitor" protection should be pretty standard these days, you may have to short the cap after removing the battery, but cap's contacts are not in the user-reachable battery compartment.

Suunto (e.g., Zoop) has a lockout period of 48 hours, not 24. So if you mess up for any reason and let your no-deco time count down to zero, you won't be using that computer for two days.
???
I have a Mares Matrix ( yeah I know I should've got a SW), but it will not lock out if I exceed NDL. It will lock out if I miss deco stop for 24h.

???
I have a Mares Matrix ( yeah I know I should've got a SW), but it will not lock out if I exceed NDL. It will lock out if I miss deco stop for 24h.

I hope my comment wasn't too sloppy. I meant to say that if a diver lets the Zoop count down to zero no-deco time and then ascends directly, without doing the stop indicated by the computer, the computer will lock out for 48 hours. It is of course missing the deco stop that causes the lockout, not merely exceeding NDL.

This might be a good time to point out that the features of a computer regarding this are not doing you any good if you don't know what they are.

A year or so ago I was working with a number of students doing different advanced recreational classes (not technical). On some dives I wold be working with some divers,and on other dives I would be working with others. The divers who were not doing a class with me at the moment would often just do an experience dive at the same time. On one dive, after we ascended, one of the divers with whom I had not been working said his computer (a Suunto) had been acting crazy near the end of the dive. It had given him some strange signal and then started a minute by minute count up. Now it was just saying Er. What was up with that?

I immediately took him down to a platform at 20 feet, and we stayed there for 20 minutes. He seemed fine. I took him back to the surface, explained what had happened, and put him on oxygen for for a while. He was OK.

He had dived with that computer for roughly 140 dives, and he had no idea how it would tell him he needed to do decompression stops

Back
Top Bottom