Nitrox and Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2DiveOrNot2Dive

Registered
Reaction score
Are certain regulators incapable of being used with Nitrox? Based on information I've been reading in this forum, I started looking at the Apeks ATX50 and the Zeagle Flathead. Between the two, only Zeagle specifically says that the reg can be used with Nitrox. I'm not nitrox certified yet, but I plan to be by this summer which means that I need to purchase a regulator that can be used with either air or nitrox. As far as conditions that I'll be diving in, I can't see myself diving in anything colder than Monterey Bay in California - at least any time in the near future - and, most likely, the majority of my diving will be in warm water. Aside from the 2 regulators that I mentioned, are there others that I should maybe look at? I was considering the XS Tri-Metal, based on the magazine reviews, but then I read a number of negative things about it in different forums so now I'm not really considering that regulator anymore. I'd rather not spend more than $400 and, to be honest, if I could spend a lot less it would be fine with me. :)

It all depends on the mix you are planning to use, most manufactures will not say for nitrox use, I dive Poseidons and the manual actually says not to dive mixes greater than 21%. As long as you aren't diving mixes greater than 40% most regs will be fine. In the UK the apexs regs are probably the most widely used reg so will be fine.

The main reason that most manufactures will claim that their regulators are only good for air is legal liability. With more oxygen in Nitrox there is a risk of fire or explosion, but it is generally accepted that recreational (<40% oxygen) Nitrox is safe with most any gear. The only major concern is typically with tanks that must be safe for pure oxygen if the dive shop mixes the nitrox in your tank.

2DiveOrNot2Dive:
Are certain regulators incapable of being used with Nitrox? Based on information I've been reading in this forum, I started looking at the Apeks ATX50 and the Zeagle Flathead. Between the two, only Zeagle specifically says that the reg can be used with Nitrox. I'm not nitrox certified yet, but I plan to be by this summer which means that I need to purchase a regulator that can be used with either air or nitrox...
Either of those regulators will be fine. Both are fine regulators.

As already stated, the issue becomes more important if you are (a) using pure O2 as a decompression gas; or (b) routinely breathing nitrox mixes with higher than 40% O2 in the gas.

Otherwise nearly any regulator from one of the large manufacturers will work well with EAN 28 - EAN36, etc. You may wish to stay away from titanium regulators, however, considering that most of them are considerably more than $400 this isn't likely going to be problematic for you.

Best,

Doc

Because of Service Availability, I'm definitely leaning toward the Apeks now. However ... decisions decisions ... Will I be "downgrading" or buying a less reliable regulator if I went with an Aqua-Lung Titan LX or Legend?

M_Bipartitus:
The main reason that most manufactures will claim that their regulators are only good for air is legal liability.

I am actually waiting for the day when manufacturers, for this same reason, will claim that you should use their regs for display at home, but not for actual diving....

eric

The Legend is no down grade - it's top of the line. Unless you are a diver that requires technical applications ANY new regulator will work for you with <40 nitrox. Just depends on how much you want to spend...

Any reg will work with EAN40 or less. If you need more 02%, then you are probably going to need two regs anyway. You can't go wrong with an APEKS(and that's who makes the Zeagle.) Many manufacturers have done nothing from one year to the next when stating what % could be used with their regs. They were losing money. NASA, USN, NOAA all state any reg can be used with 40% or less. It's been found that any oxygen content over 50% pretty much behaves like 100%. Be careful once you start using 40% or greater.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom