Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're $175 up in NJ including books. No dives required.

Shouldn't be any more expensive than it is in NY/NJ, unless dives are included.

I have yet to figure out why a nitrox cert is even required other than a profit item for the LDS.

I have yet to figure out why a nitrox cert is even required other than a profit item for the LDS.
Yeah... cause throwing people in without a basic grasp of how the gas in their tank can affect them tend to be a good idea...

A buddy and I paid $100 apiece and the instructor came up to our LDS to give the class.

I even use it occasionally.

Bob

I was about to feed a troll...

since the OP is in Miami - plenty of Options. i've seen locally nitrox ranging from $185 for solo to $125 for 3 or more ppl. (including classroom, books, card) -- dives not needed/included) many of the boat dives recommend nitrox of one blend or another over air for many sites.

... probably because diving nitrox without some minimal level of training could result in tragic consequences. I'll agree that it's probably the easiest class a scuba diver can take, and I see no need for it to be an expensive class. But I still believe there are valid reasons why it should be required.

A certification is the only way I know of to assure that the diver at least understands why they shouldn't take a particular mix below a certain depth. And it's important for the nitrox diver to at least have a certain level of knowledge of what diving with elevated levels of oxygen can do to you. Otherwise, it's just too easy to hurt yourself without even knowing why. With our liability laws as they are today, if you have another recommendation that would keep the LDS who fills the tank from the risk of being sued by a diver or their surviving family members if that happens, then let's talk about it ... till then, I see the nitrox class as more of a legal protection for the LDS than a source of income.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

since the OP is in Miami - plenty of Options. i've seen locally nitrox ranging from $185 for solo to $125 for 3 or more ppl. (including classroom, books, card) --

As I mentioned above, the first operator web site I checked in nearby Pompano Beach does the course for $125.

I took the TDI online Nitrox class for $119 or something like that. I spent another hour or so with an instructor in my local shop doing tank analysis and going over my test questions. Done and done, simple, cheap, on my own schedule and a good course with direct feedback from the good folks at TDI about my corrections/issues to their course material and test questions.

I don't see any reason for it to be an expensive course at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom