Nitrox certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, I don't do tech diving or really deep dives so what's used there will differ.

The only real use for mixes higher than 40% is in decompression diving, and if you get into that, you will get additional training and certification.

Using nitrox allows the diver to trade off maximum depth for extended bottom times, decreased no-fly times, and possibly add extra conservatism (if you dive nitrox while using air tables).
So do you need 40%? Maybe.
The MOD for EAN40 is 82' if you adhere to the 1.4 PPO2 limit. Giving yourself a buffer and diving to 70 feet gives you an NDL of 50 minutes on air. DO the same dive on EAN32 and you get a whopping 10 minutes more. Do it on EAN 40 and you can double your NDL.

We live in a place where the directions to good dive sites start with "First, get on a plane...", so we want to do as much diving as possible during our trips. Being able to select a gas with the lowest nitrogen content possible for a given dive means we can cut our no-fly times. Example: in October, we're going to Bonaire. Our flight home leaves at 0730. DAN recommends a minimum of 18 hours no-fly for multiple day multiple air dives, which means we'd have to be out of the water no later than 1130 on the day before our flight. Stick with the older 24 hour recommendation and there's no diving at ALL on our last day. Dive EAN all week, however, and we can spend the entire day diving.

I frequently dive in the area just north of Fort Lauderdale. Most dive operators typically do two tank dives in which the first dive is a wreck dive in a very nice depth range for 36%. The second dive is a drift dive in a very nice depth range for 40%. One of the dive shops in the area has 32%, 36%, and 40% banked, all for exactly the same price. It makes a lot of sense to do those two dives on 36% and 40%. On the other hand, if you did them on 32%, you could still do the dives, given the typical limits on gas supply and time limits on the second dive. You would just be a lot closer to NDLs.

36% has issues on boat diving. If you are the one with the hottest mix, then you also set the max depth that the captain can use for his/her "Plan B" if the wreck or site is occupied. *Disclaimer* This may be a NE Atlantic 'thing'.

28 & 32 will get you a long, long way in your diving before you need more...

SSI offers a course leading to a "Nitrox Level II" certification which certifies you to dive any mix up to 40%.
A subset of the training qualifies you to dive only 32% and the cert is titled "Nitrox Level I".

What is the difference in the instruction between the Nitrox I course and the Nitrox II course?
"Nitrox I" doesn't cover the section of the student manual which includes the nitrox dive tables and practice in figuring your MOD, using the nitrox tables and also using EADs with air tables.

-Bryan

"Nitrox I" doesn't cover the section of the student manual which includes the nitrox dive tables and practice in figuring your MOD, using the nitrox tables and also using EADs with air tables.

-Bryan

Wait... you teach a class that purports to train a diver to use EAN but doesn't include teaching them to calculate their MOD???

Wow. Just... wow...

Wait... you teach a class that purports to train a diver to use EAN but doesn't include teaching them to calculate their MOD???

Wow. Just... wow...

As I said above, I DO NOT TEACH this course. only the fuller NITROX II course.

Thanks for your apologies in advance.

As I said above, I DO NOT TEACH this course. only the fuller NITROX II course.

Actually, what you said was
In our shop we have only every taught Nitrox Level II (the full course, as it were).

Which only means that you HAVE NOT, not that you DO NOT.

Thanks for your apologies in advance.

I think you should seek the apology from your parents and whatever educational institution(s) failed to teach you to compose an unambiguous sentence. I will assume that the use of "every" rather than "ever" was the result of a typo, not ignorance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom