Nitrox certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow... that SSI course structure is a mess.

Anyhow... there isn't much use for 40% as a bottom mix. Even though you could get more bottom time on a second dive, you would most like be time-limited by the dive op anyway.

"Nitrox I" doesn't cover the section of the student manual which includes the nitrox dive tables and practice in figuring your MOD, using the nitrox tables and also using EADs with air tables.

People who haven't seen a nitrox course for a while may not realize how much they have changed over the years. When I took it years ago, I had a pretty darned tough final exam and all sorts of mathematical problems to solve. A lot of the changes coincide with changes to the OW courses and the recognition that only a tiny percentage of divers use tables. Most use computers. There has also been a recognition that it is close to impossible for a recreational nitrox user to have a problem with pulmonary oxygen toxicity, so that is barely mentioned, and the mathematics involved with it are gone. The courses that focus on computer use with nitrox have eliminated the table work, which makes sense.

It sounds as if Nitrox I is a course that focuses on computers, like the nitrox courses aught by many other agencies, and Nitrox II includes both computers and tables. Many OW courses give students the same choice for the courses. The difference is that in OW courses, both courses lead to the same certification. I don't understand why a person who takes the Nitrox I course would be limited to 32% unless it is an artificial incentive to force him or her to take the Nitrox II class as well.

I did it with PADI it it required the use of tables, calculations, MOD, PPO2, etc. It certainly didn't assume a computer would be used.

On the flip side my brother did his through SSI and it was a joke comparatively. I think his course must only have included level 1, which is ridiculous.

I did it with PADI it it required the use of tables, calculations, MOD, PPO2, etc. It certainly didn't assume a computer would be used.

On the flip side my brother did his through SSI and it was a joke comparatively. I think his course must only have included level 1, which is ridiculous.

A lot depends upon when you took it. I took my nitrox course through PADI many years ago, and it was very intense. I teach the course through PADI now, and it is nowhere near as difficult as when I took it. When you think about it, though, a lot of what I learned in my course has no real practical value for the recreational nitrox user. If you are never using air tables to plan your dives, why would you need to know how to make the calculations necessary to do that? The only times I have ever made those calculations after taking the class are when I have been teaching it.

I also teach Advanced Nitrox through TDI, and I don't think that course is as difficult as my first PADI course was--and it doesn't have to be.

If you did it now it would assume you have a computer, and teach only that. No tables.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I teach SSI's Recreational Nitrox specialty courses and maybe I can explain . . .

SSI offers a course leading to a "Nitrox Level II" certification which certifies you to dive any mix up to 40%.
A subset of the training qualifies you to dive only 32% and the cert is titled "Nitrox Level I".

In our shop we have only every taught Nitrox Level II (the full course, as it were).
Dives are in fact optional under the standards for both courses.

It sounds as though the OP's shop teaches the first and then offers an upgrade to the second, including a dive, which makes the specialty count towards advanced ratings (e.g., Advanced Open Water Diver, Master Diver).

Hope this helps,
Bryan

PS. In answer to the second question, mixes around 36% could be a good choice if you were doing a lot of repetitive diving in the 70- to 90-foot range.

What a croc , money train.

I teach 14 nitrox courses, each qualify you to dive 1% more enriched air than the previous. MOD's and best mixes are supplements and are added to the cost of the course. Each course involves 8 dives at a resort of your choice.......lol.

HMMM,

I took the PADI course last year and there was a mix of tables and computers. We also did the reviews from the book which included calculations for PPO2, MOD etc. Then I learned how to use my computer, I set the computer for the mix and the PPO2, it gives me the MOD. I can calculate it if I want to or I can use the computer to do it for me.

If you did it now it would assume you have a computer, and teach only that. No tables.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

I took the PADI nitrox course in May of 2012. We learned how to do all the math necessary to plan dives using nitrox or air tables. Can you tell us when PADI stopped teaching tables, and perhaps point us to some documentation of this event?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom