Nitrox certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the course you took maybe, but not in the one I took. MOD was stressed. The "extra" material the tables were shown. I was also told that you could buy a copy of the tables, being a cheap ass diver I saw no reason to buy the tables if I had a computer that did the same thing and I already owned the computer.
To clarify, I did have extensive calculations when I recently took the PADI nitrox course. I learned tables, EAD, MOD calks, PPO2 Calcs, etc.

My brother took the SDI one and did not have to do any of that.

I'm certainly no nitrox expert. I've used mostly 32% and sometimes 28 & 36. I would imagine there may be a use for 40% at certain depths, maybe 40-60' as second dives--assuming you have enough gas to last to your NDL limit. For the shore diving I do such calculations and costs of the nitrox would make no sense. Maybe if I were in S.Fla. instead of NS I would get less bored and such things may make sense.

The argument that 40% offers no real benefit over 32% is the same argument I use that 32% offers little over air.

I teach 14 nitrox courses, each qualify you to dive 1% more enriched air than the previous. MOD's and best mixes are supplements and are added to the cost of the course. Each course involves 8 dives at a resort of your choice.......lol.
bad business plan
nitrox begins at 22% and ends at 40%, so you can teach 18 courses.

PADI announced the computer-based course in 2009, effective Aug 2009, and noted the previous training materials were now officially outdated. They provided new materials.
In the first quarter of 2011, instructors were reminded that the change to computer training had to be done, that the then-current EANx manual no longer even discussed tables. Tables were still available, and could still be taught. That is still the guidance: the standard training materials are for computers, but the tables are still available and must be supplemented with additional training materials. The 1Q2014 PADI Training Bulletin (required reading for PADI instructors) says, "If you choose to teach the PADI Enriched Air Diver course using dive tables rather than dive computers, a table set is available (metric or imperial) that includes the Equivalent Air Depth Table, Oxygen Exposure Table, EANx32 RDP, EANx36 RDP and an illustrated study guide that shows the student diver how to use them."
I know a number of instructors teach the computer course, but then supplement it with the additional material. Since the students will almost certainly be diving with a computer, this serves them well.

It sounds like your 2012 class was using older manuals that still had the math in them.

I took the Nitrox class through PADI in September of 2013 and we used the tables for everything. Now that I think of it, I used tables in my OW and AOW too...I never used a computer until I bought one. All of this training was in 2013.

IndyDiver2 - love the avatar....

bad business plan
nitrox begins at 22% and ends at 40%, so you can teach 18 courses.

Actually as Dick Rutkowski likes to say, Nature invented nitrox :wink:. So any mix of O2 and N2 is nitrox, e.g. 99% -> 1%.... Lots of courses... Great business plan for something that we learned to use in OW courses, yes 21% Air is Nitrox! I am a firm believer that the Nitrox course (Not the information) is garbage and should be integrated into the AOW course. Then at least, the AOW course would have real meaning, especially to those of us that learned in the 6wks+ courses.

Actually as Dick Rutkowski likes to say, Nature invented nitrox :wink:. So any mix of O2 and N2 is nitrox, e.g. 99% -> 1%....
depending if you call the mix Nitrox or EANX :D.
If EANX, any mix from 21% to 100%
yes, 21%
in fact, air is only 20.9% something, not 21% :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom