Nitrox & compressor oil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbsdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
ok i need some recomendation on what oil to use in my compressor for nitrox i dont plan on going over ean36. the compressor calls for sae 30 motor oil. i was thinking maby amsoil? the good thing is it this compressor uses no oil and has allways past its air tests.

Chemlube 751 or 501 or 501B, or Anderol 505 or 555 will suit you best. All are specifically formulated for breathing air compressors. Mineral oil of any kind is not recommended. The 30 weight compressor lubes are the Anderol 505 and the Chemlube 501 and 501B. The 751 and 555 are 40 weight.

Reactions: Jax
Thank you. Where in a good place to get it?

For my Max-Air compressor I was recommended to use Nuvair 455 for blending Nitrox. Anyhow here is a bunch of their oils that are available straight from them. Nuvair - Compressor Oil

Thank you. Where in a good place to get it?

Google is your friend. So is the Local Dive Shop. I buy mine in a 5 gallon pail direct from Ultrachem, but you won't go through a 5 gallon pail in a month of Sundays with your little compressor. Ask the LDS where they get theirs. Also ask at the local fire department. They buy theirs from the local compressor distributor.

Reactions: Jax
you may want to get some input concerning the transition from mineral to synthetic based oil. from those have talked to the advice has been not to convert if you have too many hours on mineral. I was told on mine, i could run 10 hours change oil run 10 hours change oil again and it MIGHT be ok from then on. aperantly the mineral deposites in the compressor are stripped off by the syn oil and then gets pumped through the comp. plugged lines ect. check with mqnufacturer on how to do it. i have a bauer and they have a kit for doing the conversion. includes parts and procedures. also you said your comp uses no oil???? does your comp not have a crankcase vent line to the intake ofo the first stage? i am no expert but the oil fumes from the crankcase lubes and cools the cylendars along with the humidity in the air. if you are using no oil it may explain why your air samples are so good. just a thought.

there is a filter on the crank case and cooling is liquid when i found this thing i snatched it up (military auction) i got it with 12hrs on it. and now close to 250hrs this is the smallest liquid cooled one i have ever seen.

its a American Bristol cant get to it its in the back of the shop and the shop is packed i can get 1 in the spring

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom