Nitrox course - is it a rip off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my PADI AOW combined with Nitrox in Hawaii. By combining with AOW I saved at least $100.

The course and materials were almost a joke. A major portion of the book and video explains how to look up tables, when most of that can be done using some simple formulae -- which they show near the end of the book. The tables are good for people who have difficulty with math, but PADI sells them for US$12 or more. I wrote my test while riding in the van on the way to the dives, and got one question wrong (I'd also argue about that question's wording)

But then again, with the Nitrox card you can't get Nitrox fills and dive ops are not supposed to let you dive with Nitrox tanks.

I have a hard time understanding how people reason when they feel 190 euro is too much for a nitrox course. Not only should the instructor get paid, but also the dive shop, and then the costs which varies with location. I wonder what most people feel an instructor should make per hour... because as it is now it isn't a whole lot.

It's weird how an open water class (and most other classes) cost about the same as it did 10 years ago, and in many cases actually cheaper. No wonder people are complaining about quality.

Just my very humble oppinion. :)

I think I am paying USD 165 for my nitrox course; perhaps, since it is part of my AOW, I'll get a price break.

But this is not the real issue. Scuba diving is an expensive recreational activity. It doesn't matter whether one buys everything in sight or believes in the KISS principle as I do. I have taken several courses during the last 15 months to help make me a better diver. Now that I have my children diving with me, it is not just my own neck to look after.

In my opinion, the courses have been worth the money spent.

The course costs that much because that is what the instructor, who has invested his time and money in getting that piece of plastic that says "Instructor" on it chooses to charge for his time. He owes you nothing but what you pay him to owe you.

bertschb:
Like most classes beyond OW, it's waaaay over priced. But, using Nitrox has many advantages and you have to get certified to get Nitrox fills so..... they got ya. The course is VERY simple and you could easily pass the written test just by quickly reading the book. There really isn't much to learn.

If I had to I'd pay $500US for the cert. Nitrox is that important to me.

It's also a bit of a shame the PADI Nitrox course is so confused (I did actually get hold of the DVD). I mean what is a 1.6 contingency PP? Why introduce a PP that's basically only recommended for high O2 mix deco stops in a no-deco <40% O2 Nitrox course at all?

If it was a better Nitrox course I might not be so worried about the price. I think though I'll actually look at what the other agencies have to offer.

TheDom:
The course costs that much because that is what the instructor, who has invested his time and money in getting that piece of plastic that says "Instructor" on it chooses to charge for his time. He owes you nothing but what you pay him to owe you.

If I could get hold of the gas without doing the course that would be a fair point. As it is the course is virtually in a monopoly position where you either pay for price or don't dive Nitrox. That makes it valid to complain about the cost.

Contrast it with the Deep Dive course, if I decide I don't want to pay the price for that course then I can still dive as deep as I like. Maybe this is why the deep dive course is cheaper despite requiring twice as many dives?

BarryNL:
It's also a bit of a shame the PADI Nitrox course is so confused (I did actually get hold of the DVD). I mean what is a 1.6 contingency PP? Why introduce a PP that's basically only recommended for high O2 mix deco stops in a no-deco <40% O2 Nitrox course at all?
Not really true. You need to know max O2 partial preasure to know how deep with the given nitrox you can go. Without introduction of O2PP you would not be able to calculate your Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) or the best mix - basic calculations you do when diving nitrox.
On the other hand I paid 200 US$ for my nitrox course but it included 2 dives plus a lot of extra knowledge that was not covered by normal nitrox (i.e. deep stops). So it was worth paying the extra money.
Mania

mania:
Not really true. You need to know max O2 partial preasure to know how deep with the given nitrox you can go. Without introduction of O2PP you would not be able to calculate your Maximum Operating Depth (MOD) or the best mix - basic calculations you do when diving nitrox.
On the other hand I paid 200 US$ for my nitrox course but it included 2 dives plus a lot of extra knowledge that was not covered by normal nitrox (i.e. deep stops). So it was worth paying the extra money.
Mania

Obviously you need to be able to do partial pressure calculations. What I'm talking about is why PADI feels the need to mention the 1.6 pp level in this basic Nitrox course. 1.4 is adpoted as the acceptable safe level so they should either stick to that or, if they must mention the 1.6 level, explain it fully.

1.6 pp is only recommended as a limit when resting (ie. doing deco) and that has no place on a basic no-deco Nitrox course. As it's only safe(ish) for use while doing deco its only going to be used at shallow depths with high % O2 mixes - especially 100%, (though the debate over 80/20 goes on...) which again has no place on a course teaching only <40% Nitrox.

But what do I know, I'm not Nitrox certified :)

BarryNL:
...I mean what is a 1.6 contingency PP? Why introduce a PP that's basically only recommended for high O2 mix deco stops in a no-deco <40% O2 Nitrox course at all?

BarryNL:
...Contrast it with the Deep Dive course, if I decide I don't want to pay the price for that course then I can still dive as deep as I like.

With this level of understanding, the cost of not paying for good instruction has just risen astronomically. Unfortunately, so many others will also have to share the costs of a decision to learn on the cheap (e.g., the people who feel the need to assist with rescues & recoveries, all the folks on the boat who simply wanted a nice dive instead of one of those messy days with medical evacuations. And let's not forget familiy members who are affected, and of course the time and psyches of all those who participate in the post-accident drivel that blames everyone but the diver.)

Its a good thing instruction in scuba doesn't match the costs of the genuinely dangerous sports, like golf or tennis. If you want to advance in these dangerous acttivities you're going to pay the price, but then there's so much more to learn in those sports than in scuba. Physiological changes due to increases in partial pressure? Judgements and decisions on the fly? Gas planning? Wait - increased time at depth impacts my gas supply? Nah, piece of cake. I don't need no steenken instruction. Sign me up for the cheap course - all I need is a card.

Back
Top Bottom