Nitrox in Cozumel - or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always encourage nitrox for my divers with even decent air consumption. Even with the AL 80's, our bottom times average 60 to 70 minutes, so that second dive can create a deco issue or a shortened dive for those with good gas management...even with our long SI's. I would recommend at least one dive each day on nitrox with the bottom times you'll likely be doing.

Safety should never be equated or compared to budget...as others have said, cut back on some of the frivolous things if you have to, but not on safety!

.and what price do you put on safety ? l

Safety should never be equated or compared to budget...as others have said, cut back on some of the frivolous things if you have to, but not on safety!

So why dont you insist on everybody using doubles and trimix? After all,it would be safer ?

So why dont you insist on everybody using doubles and trimix? After all,it would be safer ?

????????????? Get real!

I dove with Aldora for 6 days. Though we had small groups of 3-5 divers we never had all nitrox group so they timed dives according air computer. I was within NDL on air for the first two days (at least my Suunto computer cleared before others) but on a 3d day I got around 10 min for the safety stop on both dives and entire group had to hang out at 15 feet for me (I informed DM in advance and tried to stay shallow on both dives and he decided not to cut dives short for others and it was OK with me). So I switched for nitrox for the last 3 days. It was overkill on a couple shallow dives but I never got more they 3 min for safety stop.
So if you want to save $, start on air and see how it works. You can always order either 1 or 2 tanks of nitrox for the next day.

????????????? Get real!

Just one of my pet peeves.

Lots of people say safety is the most important thing of all.You said yourself not to cut back on safety. In reality of course every dive has cost/benefit considerations.
Is a deep recreational dive in Cozumel safer on trimix? Yes. (assuming the diver has good skills) Is the increase in safety enough to justify the cost ? No. Therefore nobody dives it,even though it is the safest.

And just to stir the pot. If safety is the most important consideration why do Dive Ops insist in taking divers into overhead environments?

The cynic in me might think that the safety aspect of nitrox is promoted because the operation can make money selling nitrox, but the safety aspect of not diving overheads e.g.Devils Throat is ignored as it would cause a loss of revenue when divers go elsewhere.

If safety is the most important consideration why do Dive Ops insist in taking divers into overhead environments?

I don't think that's the case at all. I think divers insist on going into overhead environments and operators go along with that. It's certainly true that no operator has ever insisted I go into an overhead environment.

Since you're picking nits, it seems important to point this out.

I always dive with air on the first dive and EAN36 on the second. I like the depth flexibility the air gives me on the first dive, given my average 1st dive profile. The nitrox on the second dive lets me stay closer to the reef on the second half of the second dive.

Another thing for nitrox users in Coz to consider, is taking your own air sensor. Most of the time (@80%) of the time the reading is with in .02% of the fill sticker. But I have had it as much as2.5% off. However, when it is off I am normally making a 1% adjustment on my computer. they teach you when you take the Nitrox class, always check your own tank, don't trust the sitcker.

In Coz you don't have the ability to check you mix at the fill station and I don't think many dive ops have an analyzer on board (that I have seen).

PH

I don't think that's the case at all. I think divers insist on going into overhead environments and operators go along with that. It's certainly true that no operator has ever insisted I go into an overhead environment.

Since you're picking nits, it seems important to point this out.

I thought it was the op that made the rules not the customers?

So if I insist on doing solo 150 foot dives on my next trip the dive op will just go along with that?

I don't think many dive ops have an analyzer on board (that I have seen).

Then you're picking the wrong dive op. I haven't seen a dive op in Cozumel that DIDN'T have an analyzer available. In fact, they insist (just as they should) that I analyze my own takes before we leave the dock.

I still don't understand the argument that you should bring your own. Why would your analyzer necessarily be any more accurate than theirs?

Anyway, back to the topic. When Nitrox was $7/tank in Cozumel I would use 32% on the first and 36% on the second. Now that it's up to $10 I've gone to what everyone else here is saying. Air on the 1st and Nitrox on the second.

Too bad we can't have something like they do at Cocoview where for $100 it's unlimited Nitrox for the week.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom