Nitrox in Cozumel - or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty hard to run out of reef provided you have enough air. You just cross over to the next one...

The current plays a role as well. When I was on Cozumel last May the current was absolutely ripping the whole time we were there. On a dive on Cedral Wall, we actually dove three reefs; we ended up most of the way through Santa Rosa.

Yep. On my most recent trip I had been yipping about wanting to go to Columbia Shallows. So we did it on the 2nd part of our first dive and had a nice almost 2 hour dive in total.

I love Colombia Shallows. On one trip to Cozumel, we went there 4 times, and my wife went there again while I was out fishing. I spend a lot of time there with a magnifying glass examining tops of coral heads; there's usually little or no current there.

I looooooooove Columbia Shallows. I could dive there each and every day and be perfectly happy. I've never had a magnifying glass to bring with me on previous trips, but I recently purchased one, so next time...

Analyzers need to have their sensor replaced periodically and they can also become inaccurate through miscare.

True, but you'll know the sensor has reached it's end when you can't calibrate it to air before you test your tanks.

Coz has a much more 'casual' approach to this than I've seen elsewhere.

Again, this may be true but it's only as 'casual' as you allow it to be. If you're ordering Nitrox in Cozumel, I should think you'd be asking the dive op if they have an analyzer for you to use. If you fail to ask the 'casual' nature is on you, not them.

-Charles

I usually dive air on the first dive and nitrox on the second. Analyzing is a must; I've seen variance of up to 3% O2 on nitrox tanks there, always to the high side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom