Nitrox O2 analyzer - do I need one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the BC Flow Restrictor I use: Expedition BC Flow Restrictor with Cap : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment

Gets you down to 2-4lpm when connected to your low pressure inflator hose. It makes a big difference to an airhog like me...just remember to rehook up your BC before you dive!
Ah, ok. We used something similar on a CO tester in Coz last month. My O2 analyzer doesn't have threads, and for $40 - I can just be careful. If I loan my analyzer out, they get a quick reminder about cracking tank first, then applying unit. :wink:
I bought an analox but the shop uses something else that i dont recognize.
Good time to get an Analox. :thumb:
Oh, it's VERY important to realize that O2 sensors don't just shut down when they fail. They will begin to voltage limit, and can give erroneous results at the high and low ends. That's one of the reasons it's important to calibrate cells at frequent intervals, and preferably with both air and O2 to be sure of both ends of the spectrum.

If your analyzer is giving you dubious results, check with another unit before you dive the gas, and consider replacing the cell, especially if it is more than six months old.
Thanks. My sensor lasted for years, but I hardly ever use it and do keep it airtight. Was still testing right, but figured it was high time.

@dandydon: i got it because it was a single item that seemed simple enough for boat and quick use. The one at shop has so many parts, device, hose , restrictor, somethimg else. I didnt see something like that being convenient on a boat. Fuuny thing is, my analox with pelican case, restricter & cap was the same shops backup unit they said they mever needed to use so gave me like a 50% discount on it.

Think I'm going to go with an El Cheap-O II, with the BC flow restrictor and cap and the Expedition case it's about half the cost of the Expedition. I'm just going to contact OxyCheq to make sure I understand the differences between the two. I'll post the answers I get.

No...but if you are using your own cylinders, you can always ask to use their analyzer to get a reading of your current blend as a baseline before they do the fill....:idk:

I contacted OxyCheq - the customer service was excellent. I got quick answers to my questions and once I placed the order, it was shipping within hours.

I asked:if the “important parts” are identical between the El Cheapo II and the Expedition and said that the information I am interested in is the comparable accuracy, durability and sensor life of the two systems.
I was told:They share no common parts, but both have excellent sensors. The panel meter in the Expedition is slightly more accurate, but not enough that one would notice. Both are accurate. The Expedition is durable. The parts in the ECII are durable and I have seen some people produce really nice units ... it was our first product and they continue to sell.

I bought the ECII and an "old style" Expedition case. The new Expedition case will not fit the EC II.

I'm thinking the same as you , but have a question ... what is the advantage to using the old style Expedition case? (and it's cost)

As I understand it the advantage of the "Old style" case is that it's a bit larger and the new style case simply won't fit the assembled kit. OxyCheq did say some modification to the foam would be necessary too. The cost was the same as the new case - $14.00

Do what is the DIY going to cost you, with accessories...?

And how much are replacement sensors...??

Back
Top Bottom